Capturing an ennemy airfield + transport

• Hello all

I bought the game two days ago, I’ve read the rules but not played yet, I need some clarifications about capturing an ennemy airfield.

1/ Does the ennemy keeps control of an airfield, if its last unit standing on the island after a fight is a AA gun ? According to the rules, AA guns are land units like infantry and artillery, so I think the answer is yes but that seems strange to me (The AA gun has no land attack capacity).

2/"When taking control of the ennemy airfield you also take control of its supply tokens right. How do you proceed? Do you keep the ennemy tokens or do you remove them and put yours on the island? Next turn can you load these captured supplies onto a transport to put them onto another island, like any supply?

3/ It’s said in the FAQ “You can load up your transports from different places as long as the transport has not moved yet”. My question is can you unload a transport onto different adjacent islands. I think yes , it’s just to be sure.

that’s all for the moment, maybe I’ll come back to you with another questions after our first game.
    Thank you in advance for reading me and hope you’ll understand my English!

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Laurisa!

@laurisa:

1/ Does the ennemy keeps control of an airfield, if its last unit standing on the island after a fight is a AA gun ? According to the rules, AA guns are land units like infantry and artillery, so I think the answer is yes but that seems strange to me (The AA gun has no land attack capacity).

Yes, any land unit will do.  It’s not about attack capacity, it’s about physical presence on the island.

@laurisa:

2/"When taking control of the ennemy airfield you also take control of its supply tokens right. How do you proceed? Do you keep the ennemy tokens or do you remove them and put yours on the island? Next turn can you load these captured supplies onto a transport to put them onto another island, like any supply?

You replace the enemy supply tokens with your own.  You can do anything you want with them after that, since they’re yours.

@laurisa:

3/ It’s said in the FAQ “You can load up your transports from different places as long as the transport has not moved yet”. My question is can you unload a transport onto different adjacent islands. I think yes , it’s just to be sure.

Yes.

@laurisa:

that’s all for the moment, maybe I’ll come back to you with another questions after our first game.
    Thank you in advance for reading me and hope you’ll understand my English!

Your English is fine.  Enjoy the game!

• thanks a lot for your answers, I greatly appreciate!
    Have a nice day!

• @Krieghund:

@laurisa:

Yes.

Potz Blitz! You learn each day! :-)
    I think I should read the rules ones more, and with more care. I haven’t see that. Something completely new from classic and revised!

That will help in the micro management of transports, for instance the US turn two: Could load four supply tokens on two TRA and unload 3:1 to Malaita/Guadalcanal without need of an additional TRA or DD. Nice!

• Official Q&A

Actually, the rules don’t say you can unload onto different islands, but they don’t say you can’t either.  This is a designer clarification, and I am trying to get it added to the FAQ.  This is a perfect example of why it’s important not to let the rules from one A&A game color your interpretation of the rules of another.  We all tend to see things that aren’t there when we’re familiar with a similar subject.

• @Krieghund:

[…]
    This is a perfect example of why it’s important not to let the rules from one A&A game color your interpretation of the rules of another.  We all tend to see things that aren’t there when we’re familiar with a similar subject.

I copy that.
    Sometimes I think it could be nice to have a short overview of rules that have changed between versions of A&A. Does anybody know about such an overview?

• :-) Well as smart a– as this will sound there is an overview and it is called the rulebook of the new game.  :lol:  :-D

I explained to several folks on here when BOTB came out that you didn’t move your units into the hex you were attacking. No place in the rulebook did it even hint that you did so.

I’ve taken to begining each explanation to a new player to a new game with, “Forget everything about the other A&A games you’ve played except what the pieces are.”

To include an overview of differences would probably be confusing to players who hadn’t played the other game/s and as the list of games grows that overview would get more and more complex. There are five other games Guadalcanal is different to right? Not counting the MB version. Which differences do you pick? And then you reinforce the idea that some things are the ‘same’ instead of isolating the new game on its own island.

“Assumption is the mother of all foul ups,” or something is the saying isn’t it?  :wink:

• @frimmel:

[…]
    To include an overview of differences would probably be confusing to players who hadn’t played the other game/s and as the list of games grows that overview would get more and more complex. There are five other games Guadalcanal is different to right? Not counting the MB version. Which differences do you pick? And then you reinforce the idea that some things are the ‘same’ instead of isolating the new game on its own island.
    […]

Yes, could be confusing to someone which is not familar with the other versions. And would not work for such different version like AAR and Guadalcanal. That’s why I would not comment to add such a list to a game package. But it could be on published on a website …

And it could be a good thing for differences between, lets say, AAR OOB rules, LHTR 1.3, LHTR 2.0 and so on. Or differences between Classic and Revised. You are not forced to read 20+ pages of game rules and check for changes between old and new ruleset. ;-)

• Well there is a sheet in the Revised box outlining changes between Classic and Revised.

I started to make an outline for a sheet of that type and just quit because I couldn’t figure a good way to organize it.

As to differences between LHTR and OOB that is whole nother kettle of fish. While LHTR has been pretty formally adopted around here and in Smorey’s tournies it is still essentially ‘house rules.’

I certainly understand how things can get mixed up though. Subs for instance. I can barely keep them straight. I think sometimes that is why I like BOTB so much–NO SUBS!!!

• Official Q&A

Here is a link to an outline of the differences between Revised OOB rules and LHTR: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=108

• @Krieghund:

You replace the enemy supply tokens with your own.  You can do anything you want with them after that, since they’re yours.

I cant find this in the  rulebook.

Tell my what page its on.

I too assumed it was like this since its so in BotB, but BotB had generic supply-tokens, and Guad have national specific supply-tokens, so it is confusing, since in other games you take over AA-guns too, but not in Guad, see ?

• Official Q&A

@Adlertag:

@Krieghund:

I cant find this in the  rulebook.

Tell my what page its on.

On page 21, under Capturing Airfields and Supplies, it says:

If there are no enemy land units remaining in an island zone during this step, capture all enemy airfields and supply tokens in that zone.  Treat them as if you had built them.

You would replace the enemy supply tokens with your own to indicate that you now own them.

@Adlertag:

I too assumed it was like this since its so in BotB, but BotB had generic supply-tokens, and Guad have national specific supply-tokens, so it is confusing, since in other games you take over AA-guns too, but not in Guad, see ?

Bulge can have generic tokens, because you can’t have units from both sides in the same hex at the same time, so whoever controls the hex controls the supplies.  In Guadalcanal, units and supplies from both sides can occupy an island or sea zone simultaneously, so it is necessary to have nation-specific supply tokens so you can tell who they belong to.

• …and now I see why you are the official answer guy and I’m not

• @Adlertag:

…and now I see why you are the official answer guy and I’m not

Krieghund has skills.

• @Krieghund:

Actually, the rules don’t say you can unload onto different islands, but they don’t say you can’t either.  This is a designer clarification, and I am trying to get it added to the FAQ.  This is a perfect example of why it’s important not to let the rules from one A&A game color your interpretation of the rules of another.  We all tend to see things that aren’t there when we’re familiar with a similar subject.

It’s called Chaining and you can.  if your Japan, and you have a ship in F, you can move ART and INF from Bougainville and Choiseul to NewGeorgia without moving the transport.  Frankly the redeploy supply options will allow you to quickly drop land units off at Santa Isabel or Malita quickly.  But if both are focusing on New Georgia, than there will be some big battles there.

Remember, Japan starts with a supply chain, the Allies don’t.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m