• Do you read the sub shot in the battlebox of the target you are shooting at?
    :?

Example if I target a AC/CV should I roll the battlebox and look at the first dice in the #1 slot or the dice sitting in the AC/CV # 4 slot?

Also how does a subattack work on a BB? Since the BB has the first shot, no damage ability. Does the subshot count as hit # 1 or is it simply a wasted shot?

Otherwise the sub attack against a BB gains you nothing.

Thanks for any help.

• Official Q&A

@legion3:

Do you read the sub shot in the battlebox of the target you are shooting at?

Example if I target a AC/CV should I roll the battlebox and look at the first dice in the #1 slot or the dice sitting in the AC/CV # 4 slot?

You look at the first die and apply its result to the target you chose before rollling.  Ignore the units listed on the chart.

@legion3:

Also how does a subattack work on a BB? Since the BB has the first shot, no damage ability. Does the subshot count as hit # 1 or is it simply a wasted shot?

A battleship can only ignore one hit per turn.  The first sub hit would cause no damage, but it would expend the battleship’s armor for the turn, causing any subsequent hit on the same turn (whether from another sub or in general combat) to do damage.  Thus, it is only a “wasted shot” if no further hits are scored on the battleship during that turn.

• 10-4 much obliged

• Does combat involving subs only occur in the phase when subs move and shoot?  Does a surface group get to engage a sub during the ship combat step?

My son and I are in the middle of our first game.  I have a large surface group in the middle of the board (sea zone F) between Bourganville and New Georgia.  He moved a sub into sea zone F and began taking pot shots against my surface group each turn.  He attacks during the sub move and shoot step in Phase 1.  Do I get to return fire during the attack sea units step in Phase 2?

Thanks.

This is an interesting game that will take me a few tries to understand.  For example, niether of us bought supply tokens on turn 1 so we couldn’t resupply until turn 2.  That would have been an expensive lesson if we hadn’t both done it.

• Official Q&A

Subs, of course, fire during the Move and Attack with Subs step of the Movement phase.  Surface ships and aircraft fire on subs (along with surface ships) during the Attack Sea Units step of the Combat phase.  As a result of this, ships hit by subs do not return fire.  However, subs generally don’t last very long if they attack large fleets by themselves.

Have fun!

• Thanks Krieghund.  Is there a specific point in the rules that makes any reference to surface ships attacking subs?  I could not find one mention of it.

• Official Q&A

Only that they are on the sea units casualty chart.  There is no direct mention in the rules.

• That was what I said to my son.  “Hey, look they are marked the same way as all the other ships on the chart.”  It was nice that you were able to confirm my thoughts quickly, though.  BTW, it was a good risk.  He sank a transport with an infantry and a supply token, so only 2 infantry and two supply tokens made it to New Georgia.  I had to wait another turn to build my airfield.

Happy New Year.

• Official Q&A

Sounds like your son’s getting a quick grasp of the game!  I’ve found that it pays to send more supplies to the front than you may need for that very reason.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

• Yes, I am very pleased with his gift for math and other things.  Not bad for a nine year old.

We’re still learning.  Today, I fogot to move my supply tokens off Bourganville in turn 1.  Duh!!

• @Krieghund:

@legion3:

Do you read the sub shot in the battlebox of the target you are shooting at?

You look at the first die and apply its result to the target you chose before rollling.  Ignore the units listed on the chart.

@legion3:

A battleship can only ignore one hit per turn.  The first sub hit would cause no damage, but it would expend the battleship’s armor for the turn, causing any subsequent hit on the same turn (whether from another sub or in general combat) to do damage.  Thus, it is only a “wasted shot” if no further hits are scored on the battleship during that turn.

I have another question concerning subs, and I taught it will be better to post it here than create a new subject for it. I was asking myself if two or more battleships receive let’s say 2 submarines hits (from 2 rolls of 1), can the attacker decide to completely destroy one battleship with these hits or is he obligated to split his hits on the two battleships heavy armor first? I think the rules say he can destroy completely one battleship first (that would make subs excellent units to destroy capital ships), but my old “A&A revised mind” cannot accept that so easily. (sorry for my English writting, I normally write in French)

• Official Q&A

Since the owner of the sub chooses the target, the same battleship may be chosen again for the second attack.

Your English is fine.  If you hadn’t mentioned that English wasn’t your first language, I wouldn’t have known.

• Thanks for your quick answer  :-), I think that I will be able to play without any rules ambiguities now (it seems fewer ambiguities are present in this version’s rules than in A&A revised one, even if they are some) . I’m happy to learn that my English isn’t that bad too, thank you very much for all!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m