• During “bridging” can Japan move units from Japan to Manchuria in the same turn?

Can a transport load, move and unload the same unit in one turn?

Where in the rulebook is this clarified?

• Official Q&A

Yes, it can.  It’s on page 31.

• So just for clarification, this move happens in the non-combat movement?

as well, The only movement of loading units onto a transport, moving the transport 2 spaces and off-loading into a hostile zone is for an amphibious assault?

i cannot, in the combat move, load units onto a transport, move the transport 2 spaces and off-load into a friendly space?

Your help is appreciated

• @Manitobajay:

So just for clarification, this move happens in the non-combat movement?

You can “bridge” (transport without moving) any time - combat or non-combat alike.

as well, The only movement of loading units onto a transport, moving the transport 2 spaces and off-loading into a hostile zone is for an amphibious assault?

i cannot, in the combat move, load units onto a transport, move the transport 2 spaces and off-load into a friendly space?

No, you can load onto transport(s), move (up to) 2 spaces, and then off-load into a friendly territory during non-combat move phase.  It’s just if the destination territory is hostile that it must be done in the combat movement phase and not in the non-combat phase.
    So in other words, transport movement capabilities are the same during combat movement and non-combat movement phases (except that, of course, non-combat movements can not be made on a hostile territory)  Note that you could be reinforcing a territory that was hostile at the beginning of your TURN, but is now friendly as of the non-combat movement phase as a result of your combat (you just conquered the territory)

Your help is appreciated

My pleasure - you’re welcome

• @Gamerman01:

@Manitobajay:

So just for clarification, this move happens in the non-combat movement?

You can “bridge” (transport without moving) any time - combat or non-combat alike.

No, you can load onto transport(s), move (up to) 2 spaces, and then off-load into a friendly territory during non-combat move phase.  It’s just if the destination territory is hostile that it must be done in the combat movement phase and not in the non-combat phase.

I think the only exception to that situation is when the transport begins its round already on a hostile SZ. In that case you may move the transport during combat move (to prevent its destruction) and offload it during non-combat. But Kreighund should know better the answer to this.

• Official Q&A

No, you can never offload a transport in noncombat movement that has moved in combat movement and/or participated in combat.  If you move a transport from a hostile sea zone in combat movement to escape combat, it must either offload in combat movement for an amphibious assault or not offload at all that turn.

• @Krieghund:

No, you can never offload a transport in noncombat movement that has moved in combat movement and/or participated in combat.  If you move a transport from a hostile sea zone in combat movement to escape combat, it must either offload in combat movement for an amphibious assault or not offload at all that turn.

I think I was confusing with AAE/P40 then. Thanks for the clarification.

• Official Q&A

No, you can’t do it in those games, either.  Perhaps you were thinking of Revised?  In Revised, you could offload a transport in that situation if the land units were already on board at the beginning of the turn.

• @Krieghund:

No, you can’t do it in those games, either.  Perhaps you were thinking of Revised?  In Revised, you could offload a transport in that situation if the land units were already on board at the beginning of the turn.

I think I’ confusing it with the rule that allowed loading of transports in a SZ just turned hostile by a declaration of war in P40.

• @thefuzzynaval:

During “bridging” can Japan move units from Japan to Manchuria in the same turn?

Hey thanks for the response’s guys !! but please bare with me…

Ok i feel like i understand the bridging thing. but refer to this quote above . Can this bridging be done in the combat move? Specifically on my combat turn can i move units from japan to manchuria (which are both japanese controlled) on the combat move without combat taking place?

I am under the impression that in aa1942 no moves in the combat turn can be made without combat occurring?

I see germanman01 said that i could bridge my units in the combat phase but does that move have to result in combat?

I am soooo sure this is the only rule that i can’t wrap my head around now. haha 8-)
    Ive been playing tripleA for the mac and i am sure i was loading units onto a transport and moving 2 spaces into a friendly sea zone and not unloading in the combat move phase, and when my non-combat move came up i was not allowed to move that unit again.?

• @Manitobajay:

@thefuzzynaval:

During “bridging” can Japan move units from Japan to Manchuria in the same turn?

Hey thanks for the response’s guys !! but please bare with me…

Ok i feel like i understand the bridging thing. but refer to this quote above . Can this bridging be done in the combat move? Specifically on my combat turn can i move units from japan to manchuria (which are both japanese controlled) on the combat move without combat taking place?

No. You’ll need to move the units from Japan to Manchuria during non-combat.

I am under the impression that in aa1942 no moves in the combat turn can be made without combat occurring?

I see germanman01 said that i could bridge my units in the combat phase but does that move have to result in combat?

I am soooo sure this is the only rule that i can’t wrap my head around now. haha 8-)
    Ive been playing tripleA for the mac and i am sure i was loading units onto a transport and moving 2 spaces into a friendly sea zone and not unloading in the combat move phase, and when my non-combat move came up i was not allowed to move that unit again.?

TripleA allows you to load units during combat and offload them during non-combat move, IIRC. But Spring 1942 does not :)

• @Krieghund:

No, you can [i]never[/i] offload a transport in noncombat movement that has moved in combat movement and/or participated in combat.  If you move a transport from a hostile sea zone in combat movement to escape combat, it must either offload in combat movement for an amphibious assault or not offload at all that turn.

Thanks hobbes for your information its been very helpful.  I guess another question that has come up now for me would be:

-how does your transport escape the battle then move 1 space to conduct another amphibious assualt? as per krieghund’s post?

If you move a transport from a hostile sea zone in combat movement to escape combat, it must either offload in combat movement for an amphibious assault or not offload at all that turn.

• I can help you with that, Manitoba.

Krieghund’s example is when your transport starts in a hostile sea zone (enemy surface war ships present).  This happens when your opponent has either ignored your transport during movement and did not attack it, or if your opponent built warships in the zone that your transport was in.

You must move this transport during the combat movement phase or else it is stuck in that starting zone where combat will be conducted.  Since it is moving in the combat movement phase, it may go 1 or 2 spaces to another sea zone, where it could be involved in a different naval battle and even a subsequent amphibious assault.

What this transport can’t do, is offload during the non-combat phase of that turn (if it moved during the combat movement phase, possibly just to avoid combat).  It can only offload in an amphibious assault (attacking a hostile territory).

• Ahhh i see, thanks germanman01, kreighund, and hobbes for your guy’s input

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m