• 2007 AAR League

Outside Lime, I believe the way you are playing it is like the classic rules.  Attacking subs get first strike but defending subs don’t.  Thus in a sub-on-sub the attacker has first strike advantage in classic.  Not the case in revised.

• 2007 AAR League

damn.  i’ve also been doing that wrong.  i always thought the attacking submarine would kill of the defender before the defender could fire.  i’m likewise embarresed.  how’d i miss that? ? ?  :|

• Sub combat in Revised is the classic “torpedo in the water” action from movies like Red October and Down Periscope :-D

• 2007 AAR League

Damn.

Some instincts die hard.

I read “torpedo in the water” and my heart jumps.

One of those key phrases like “steam leak” that just kicks in some automatic responses.

• @Baghdaddy:

Damn.

Some instincts die hard.

One of those key phrases like “steam leak” that just kicks in some automatic responses.

“We’re out of hamburgers.”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• 2007 AAR League

@newpaintbrush:

@Baghdaddy:

Damn.

Some instincts die hard.

“We’re out of hamburgers.”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"Three bean salad AGAIN!!!  :x  "

Morale on a submarine lives and dies by the quality of food on the mess deck.

• I would imagine that y’all are not fans of the movie “Down Periscope” starring Kelsey Grammer  :roll:

• 2007 AAR League

Actually that was pretty hilarious.

The movies that actually attempt to be “real submarine” movies are the annoying ones.  The interior shots all look like ballroom dance floors compared to the real thing and the short cuts Hollywood takes can really be annoying.

• Buit don;t watch it dubbed.  Either know German, or read subtitles.

It loses so much when the language is dubbed over to English… the loss of the inflection of the actors being critical to the “feel” and “tone” of the film.

• @Craig:

@ncscswitch:

But don’t watch it dubbed.  Either know German, or read subtitles.

It loses so much when the language is dubbed over to English… the loss of the inflection of the actors being critical to the “feel” and “tone” of the film.

EXACTLY!!!

zomg font

• SUBMERGING

I am so confused about submerging

UK attack with a Battleship, Germany defend with a sub.

1)The sub roll a first shot, a miss

1. The BB roll, and miss. Now the sub can submerge ?

UK attack with two subs. Germany defend with a sub

1. The UK subs roll, and miss. Now the the German sub roll, a miss
    2. Now the german sub can submerge ?

So the defending sub can both roll and submerge in the same round ?
    Or must it choose between rolling dice or submerge ?

• 2007 AAR League

The submarine submerge happens at the same time as the attacker is deciding to retreat or not, after all combat for that round.

Thus, the defending submarine always gets to fire, even if the opponent is a submarine sank it.

The crucial difference is a defending submarine can submerge instead of dying.

An attacking submarine can submerge after the attack, thereby forcing the other player to treat that seazone as hostile in his next move.  Think about that in the context of preventing a two seazone move by a convoy…

• @Adlertag:

SUBMERGING

I am so confused about submerging

UK attack with a Battleship, Germany defend with a sub.

1)The sub roll a first shot, a miss

1. The BB roll, and miss. Now the sub can submerge ?

UK attack with two subs. Germany defend with a sub

1. The UK subs roll, and miss. Now the the German sub roll, a miss
    2. Now the german sub can submerge ?

So the defending sub can both roll and submerge in the same round ?
    Or must it choose between rolling dice or submerge ?

For the first example:  BB on SUB:  Yes, you can submerge the German SUB after 1 round of combat is completed  (if you live).

For the xecond example:  Both the UK and German SUBs roll AT THE SAME TIME, both attacker and defender get openning fire.  After ALL combat for a turn is complete, surviving SUBs can choose to submerge.

• 2007 AAR League

@Craig:

@ncscswitch:

One thing about Craig…

When it comes to the rules, I have NEVER known him to be wrong.

While I try real hard to get it right, that doesn’t mean I’m not wrong from time to time. :-D

Plus, I have people like Blackwatch to bounce things off if it is really convoluted. :-o

Craig

I thought you were Blackwatch. :evil:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m