Should Schools Require School Uniforms?

• -I don’t need to see every guys ass when he walks by.

-Trying to have a professional and orderly talk to a girl with a low-cut shirt and is making passes at me is very difficult, not to mention very uncomfortable.

-It simplifies the dress code and makes it easier to enforce

-Just about kills/drsatically reduces the fashion competition among the peer groups while in school (and keeps the wallet good and fat).

That’s about it, and no I don’t have kids.

• No because I would have dropped out if my school had required a uniform. I live in a uniform, I’m glad I got to spend my high school years without one. :-P

• There’s a very thin line between a highly restrictive dress code and a school uniform.  Our local school district has been inching towards that line.  The only problem with school dress codes are they don’t address as many problems as symptoms.  If the fashion industry weren’t so badly screwed up, kids wouldn’t be trying to emulate styles like saggy pants and bare mid-riffs.  Maybe I’m becoming an old fuddy-duddy like my parents.

• Id say no, cause usually the school districts make the students wear ridiculous uniforms that are dull and lack style.  Although I do particularly enjoy what the catholic school girls wear as a uniform.  :wink:

• '19 Moderator

This is the Uniform at my kids school:
    Navy or khaki pants, shorts, skorts.  Navy, light blue, yellow polo shirts or the Longview Star T-shirts.
    (The school Colors are blue and yellow)

It’s not that extencive, but it saves me money and headeaches.
    Incase you fellows don’t know “skorts” are shorts that look like a skirt.  I have a 6 year old daughter and I think skorts are a great thing.  :wink:

• School uniforms with choices might not be too bad.

But I’m lightly against school uniforms in that I don’t want my kid feeling like he’s just another kid in prison or service.  Giving kids some freedom in school is a good thing.  Take it all away and you get automatons.

I don’t know, it may be conducive to learning and behaved kids, but I’d hate to break the whole thing down into something they feel completely forced into.  I think there are bigger things to work on when it comes to education than the dress code.  Is there that much problem when it comes to enforcing that?

• @Gamer:

@newpaintbrush:

@Jennifer:

There’s different types of school uniforms.  I’m partial to West Point style myself, but there’s the traditional “Catholic” style, the ankle skirt and business suit style, or just jeans and a school t-shirt style.

Don’t let the appearnce throw you off, what’s the functionality say?

For clothing, appearance is a major part of functionality.

NPB, you obviously do not have kids of your own.  Your entire perspective on this question will change DRAMATICALLY when you have your own rug rats to drag out of bed, get dressed, find their shoes, locate their book bag and get their little butts out the door in time for school WHILE having to listen to them whine about how all the other kids in school have cooler clothes than they do . . .

That said, my kids are off to Catholic school next year, which means their clothes budget just shrunk and my beer and war game budget just grew a little.  :-D

So appearance is NOT a major part of functionality for clothes?

So you’re saying it’s OK for your teenage daughter to go out of the house in a midriff-baring tank top, and short-shorts that read “JUICY” across the rear?

Hawt.

• So you’re saying it’s OK for your teenage daughter to go out of the house in a midriff-baring tank top, and short-shorts that read “JUICY” across the rear?

Yes. If she wants to look like an easy-to-lay floozy, thats her decision. As a parent, I would tell them my views on their attire, but not require them to change it. They have to see for themselves why its wrong. If I just tell them, they will rebel, and my influence will wane. If I respect them, while telling them my views, they are more likely to see the wisdom. And if they don’t, again, that’s their choice. I may not like it, but its not my life.

• @Janus1:

So you’re saying it’s OK for your teenage daughter to go out of the house in a midriff-baring tank top, and short-shorts that read “JUICY” across the rear?

Yes. If she wants to look like an easy-to-lay floozy, thats her decision. As a parent, I would tell them my views on their attire, but not require them to change it. They have to see for themselves why its wrong. If I just tell them, they will rebel, and my influence will wane. If I respect them, while telling them my views, they are more likely to see the wisdom. And if they don’t, again, that’s their choice. I may not like it, but its not my life.

Well, you see, my original point was that I believe that for clothes, appearance is a part of functionality.  That is, the response to which you refer above was my response to Gamer’s response to my post which read in its entirety:

@newpaintbrush:

@Jennifer:

There’s different types of school uniforms.  I’m partial to West Point style myself, but there’s the traditional “Catholic” style, the ankle skirt and business suit style, or just jeans and a school t-shirt style.
    Don’t let the appearnce throw you off, what’s the functionality say?

For clothing, appearance is a major part of functionality.

Apparently, Gamer disagreed, because he said that my entire viewpoint would CHANGE.

My response to Gamer cited an example for which I hoped he would agree that for clothes, appearance IS a part of functionality.

• @Gamer:

That said, my kids are off to Catholic school next year, which means their clothes budget just shrunk and my beer and war game budget just grew a little.  :-D

Catholic schools are private. Private schools cost money. So you are saying that you spent so much on clothes that the tuition for this school will be less than the annual clothes expenses?

• 2007 AAR League

instead of watching my daughter(hopefully only boys for me) become a whore over years……is it still illegal to slap the sluttiness outta one?  thats my freedom of expression.

i wore a uniform until i graduated from high school. and the high school uniform was only no jeans or sweats, and no t shirts.  thats it.

and i agree fully with the catholic school girl uniform.  they try to get it as reaveling as possible…very nice.

and for masses in high school.  we used to be able to dress up, but they stopped that my senior year b/c the girls were coming in looking like million dollar whores.  it was very nice, even God woulda liked it.  i think.

• @balungaloaf:

instead of watching my daughter(hopefully only boys for me) become a whore over years……is it still illegal to slap the sluttiness outta one?  thats my freedom of expression.

Can boys be whores?

And I love the ironic note you had later:

and i agree fully with the catholic school girl uniform.  they try to get it as reaveling as possible…very nice.

…unless it’s your daughter, which she would then be a whore.

• 2007 AAR League

correct.  there were some who were very very hot, looked really good, but didnt have that sluttiness factor.  everyone also wanted them the most, but they always had serious boyfriends and whatnot.  so most just tried to hook up with whores.  the un-whores who were also smoking hot were the best.

so its better not to be a whore.

and yes, man whores exist.

• I know, I wasn’t arguing with you, I was just making a point in response to your line which I quoted. It wasn’t directed at you, just at the discussion in general. Look at it as I saw the opportunity to express my viewpoint, and took it. Nothing more or less.

• 2007 AAR League

@balungaloaf:

i wore a uniform until i graduated from high school. and the high school uniform was only no jeans or sweats, and no t shirts.  thats it.

That’s not a uniform.  That’s just a dress code.

• I think as far as practical measures go a uniform is just a very clear dress code with no wiggle room. I’m torn on the issue. Like most things the fewer choices the more you diminsh the choices others make i.e. if you can’t drink alcohol then you haven’t made a choice not to drink alcohol.

I voted no. I do not have children.

• I support them.

My high school only had a uniform only for Phys Ed.  You had to buy these specific items that were ordered in by local stores just for that purpose.  It was practical (reversable shirts to allow for clear teams, one side gold, the other blue, etc.)

And of course when I first entered post-secondary education, I had a uniform…  And at the begining of each day we were notified which variant we would wear that day:
    Academic Short Sleeved (USAF Blue service dress w/ short sleeve shirt, no jacket)
    Academic Long Sleeve (ditto, different shirt)
    Above could be called with our without the Athletic Jacket (basic plain blue jacket zip up w/ sqaudron patch)
    Service Dress (full uniform with jacket)
    Full Service Dress (included gloves)
    Parades (white pants, double brested tunic, pistol belt, saber, white service cap)

Catholic schools have uniforms.  So do military primary and secondary schools, and many private schools.

I see NO problem with it, in fact, i think it would solve a LOT of issues.

• @ncscswitch:

I see NO problem with it, in fact, i think it would solve a LOT of issues.

like?

• Gang identification.
    The repeated lawsuits over t-shirt messages
    the harassment of folks who have wardrobes from K-Mart… or from Rodeo Drive
    The debate over what shorts are TOO short…
    etc.

I do not recall any lawsuits over rebel flags or intollerant messages, or obscenity regarding clothing at a single school with a uniform.

And remember, those lawsuits are defended via TAXPAYER DOLLARS.

• HELL YES UNIFORMS
    Kids can be creative on paper.
    At the very least strengthen dress codes…require SHIRTS not t-shirts and slacks with belts.  Unfortunately schools don’t seem to be strengthening anything but the unrealistic expectations on teachers, reliance on BS data/testing , and fantasy world creations.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m