• Is it true that you are limited on unit stacks by how many plastic pieces you have?
    So as an example you have 10 tank pieces so you are limited to 10 different tank stacks on the board. And by the rules if you run out of grey and red chips can you use something else?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Not the way I read the manual, but I only read through it once so I could have missed something.

Generally speaking, previous rule books (I believe) wanted to limit you to a number of stacks totaling no more than the number of pieces you had of that specific unit.  For instance, in classic, you had 3 battleship pieces, so you were limited to three stacks of battleships.

But they all allowed as many units as you could get on the board, we sometimes wrote the number on a piece of paper and placed it under the unit since there were never enough chips!

• There are no stack limits whatsoever.

• @Cmdr:

Not the way I read the manual, but I only read through it once so I could have missed something.

Generally speaking, previous rule books (I believe) wanted to limit you to a number of stacks totaling no more than the number of pieces you had of that specific unit.  For instance, in classic, you had 3 battleship pieces, so you were limited to three stacks of battleships.

But they all allowed as many units as you could get on the board, we sometimes wrote the number on a piece of paper and placed it under the unit since there were never enough chips!

Only Classic had that rule, as far as I know.

• i’ve run out of units a couple of times, so i did something similar to Cmd Jen, except i drew a little picture of what the unit was (as i like spreading my units out haha). it may look tacky, but it works!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

tin,

I don’t know if you can still find them, but back in the day when I was an uncouth savage still using a physical board and playing pieces, there were companies that sold plastic unit sets similar to Axis and Allies. (The color was slightly off, the models unperceptively different, just enough so they did not violate copywrite or something, maybe they were inept but had license to do it.)

Anyway, that’s how I got “half-battleship” pieces. (What you would call Cruisers today.)  Also got some destroyers this way too, though, it was hard to tell them apart from submarines, so we had to use control markers to help differentiate. (Hey, a bottle of vodka will skew anyone’s perspective of the board!)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m