• Sponsor

Anti-Aircraft Artillery

Cost = 4 IPCs
    Attack = N/A
    Defense = 1@1 each (regardless how many attacking air units, and for every combat round)

May also fire once at enemy air units each time they pass over territories with AA Artillery.

Mechanized Infantry

Cost = 5 IPCs
    Attack = @1 (@2 when paired with artillery)
    Defense = @2
    May move two spaces as per all oob rules, however, during non combat movement… mech infantry may tow 1 artillery unit each (both units must begin turn in same territory)

Cruisers
    receive 1@1 before each combat round begins to hit attacking and defending air units

Aircraft Carriers
    receive 1@1 before each combat round begins to hit attacking and defending air units

Battleships
    receive 2@1 before each combat round begins to hit attacking and defending air units

• '17 '16

About AAA.
    I suggest you roll a few tests.
    IMO It is weaker than OOB in most cases.

• Sponsor

@Baron:

About AAA.
    I suggest you roll a few tests.
    IMO It is weaker than OOB in most cases.

If 1 bomber flies over a territory with 2 AA Guns to conduct a SBR, those Guns get 1@1 each even if it’s just 1 aircraft flying over. Than after the built in AA Guns fire at that single bomber, perhaps it needs to fly over the same territory with the 2 AA Guns just to get back home. So, in that scenario, 1 bomber is fired upon 5 times, this profile would also allow Italy to fire at planes coming from London to conduct the Taranto raid, and if I’m Russia, I’ll be dotting many of my territories with AA Guns at 4 IPCs each hoping to get multiple combat rounds with them… so I’m not sure how they are weaker.

• '17 '16

It would be simpler to keep AAA shots in Combat move only and resolve combat.
    No such thing in Non-combat move, please.
    Your AAA is indeed stronger.

• Hello YG.  Here’s my two-cents worth.

@AAA: Very much like this.  Actually, I think I’ll implement it.  I would just consider removing the part where they can fire at aircraft over-flying.  While the 8.8cm Flak and other large calibre rounds could shoot at large formations at fairly high altitude, the rest of the AAA “punch” consisting of lesser calibre rounds … all they way down to .50cal … had considerably less range.  I guess I just don’t know if it would be good modeling to have formations have a 1 in 6 chance of getting KO’d for just overflying a territory.  Example would be early Allied bombing raids hitting Germany while having to over-fly Nazi-Occupied France.  … The AAA danger wasn’t really in France, it was over the target areas.

@Mech Inf: I think this is pretty accurate.  Mech Inf and Mobile Artillery went hand-in-hand.  Especially late war.  From a game balance perspective, it MIGHT give a little too much punch to the Axis.  Will let Italy and Germany push harder into Africa.  Will let Germany push harder against Russia as the supply-chain extends.  And will let Japan hit China harder as the supply-chain extends.  Would be interesting to have an AAR from someone who tries this in an actual game.

@Naval AAA: OKOK … I might be a little bias on this!  But why not also give DD’s AAA and add the text:  “Navy ships can ONLY hit enemy aircraft with their AAA shots.  All of their normal combat rolls must be directed against other ships.”  ??  Then, we’re talking real WWII naval battles!  :)

• Our group has been using something simiular to the mech-inf rule for a while now.  We allow this movement on the combat phase as well.  We have found that both axis and allies use this combination and though it is a powerful combination, it does not through the game out of whack since both sides use it.  I like the AAA rules as well. I will suggest this trial the next time we get to engage in a game.

• Sponsor

@the_jetset:

@Naval AAA: OKOK … I might be a little bias on this!  But why not also give DD’s AAA and add the text:  "Navy ships can ONLY hit enemy aircraft with their AAA shots.  All of their normal combat rolls must be directed against other ships."  ??   Then, we’re talking real WWII naval battles!  :)    Â

I just think Destroyers are already pretty powerful in this game.

• Yeah.  I was thinking of the Destroyers modified to where they each can only cancel one sub per sea zone (Cost 7 IPCs instead of 8 IPCs) instead of a single Destroyer being able to provide anti-sub for an entire sea zone.

But you’re right.  The regular destroyers would be too powerful if given AAA.

• '17 '16

@Young:

Cruisers

Aircraft Carriers

Battleships
    receive 2@1 before each combat round begins to hit attacking and defending air units

Do you realize that these warships are made better at destroying directly planes than planes themselves?

• Sponsor

@Baron:

@Young:

Cruisers

Aircraft Carriers

Battleships

Do you realize that these warships are made better at destroying directly planes than planes themselves?

Sorry… I don’t understand your question.

• Sponsor

What if…

AA Artillery

Cost = 4 IPCs
    Attack = N/A
    Defense = 1@2 each (for the 1st combat round only)

• '17 '16

@Young:

@Baron:

@Young:

Cruisers

Aircraft Carriers

Battleships

Sorry… I don’t understand your question.

According to usual casualty order, when planes will roll a hit in naval combat, the owner usually choose a Submarine or a Destroyer before 10 IPCs Fighters.
    With your suggested rule, CA, CV and BB will take down aircrafts with more regularity than planes’ hit rolled.  To me it seem paradoxical.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m