Discussion about unit colors, sculps and map improvements

• This could become a very usefull topic to future developments/versions of the game in years to come.

I will start with some opinions:

colors:

• France soccer national team is known as the blues and Italy national soccer team has squadra azurra (blue squad). The french blue is darker and the italian blue is lighter. The blue used in french sculps is more alike the italian blue.
    • Brown for italian sculps is too similar with the red/brown from SU. What color could the italian sculps have?

Sculps:

• the next step i think is combining diferent models in a country. For example why not using the two diffferent USA fighter sculps at the same time?

map:

• the first thing that comes to mind is that the map should be even wider with 5 board parts instead of 4 so that pacific and atlantic could be wider and though more realistic.

What is your opinion?

• Colors -

France is and should be blue, regardless of their football team colors. I don’t see the British team trotting out in khaki, and yet we all agree that is the classic color for them.

Italy is perfect as brown, in my opinion. If anything, the Soviets should have a redder color to differentiate them.

Map -

I don’t think it should ever be any bigger. It is gargantuan as is.

Sculpts -

Each nation should have at least unique tank and airplane sculpts.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I like the bland and earth toned colors for the different countries… for example:

Italy: current brown fine (though I admit they sometimes get confused with Russians)
    USSR: Whatever their current color is… though I’d be fine with a deep red (not bright red like the Japs in old Pacific)
    USA: current color is just fine, dark or washed out green (again, nothing bright)
    China: good as yellow-green
    Brits: current Khaki is perfect
    Japan: current burnt orange is perfect
    ANZAC: fine as is… I am not sure what else they could be
    France: blue is fine, but I’d prefer something darker. Whatever I have seen thus far seems too bright. It reminds me of cotton candy.

Map:

I’d say we have enough territories/sea zones, so I don’t think the map needs to be bigger in that respect. I have thought about printing off a larger version of the board though, to cover my pool table.

Sculpts:

Dedicated infantry for each power are a must. Except for ANZAC/UK.
    Dedicated tanks would be number 2
    Dedicated ships (as much as possible) would be next on my list.

• Hoffman,

Agree with your list. We already have dedicated infantry for all, so tanks are next. The major “naval” powers have unique sculpts (US/UK/Jap/Ger), so all that is left is France/Italy.

The big item is unique tanks.

• I agree the map doesn’t need to be larger but possibly more accurate. I own a Peter’s Map of the World and it looks like it could work well but the SZ would all have to be redone for movements sake as Hawaii is more than 3SZ away from Japan.

It would still be nice to split the Americas so they are on both sides of the map. This would allow both theaters to be more easily managed.

Here’s a picture and description of the product taken from Amazon.com

Which is bigger, Greenland or China? With the traditional Mercator map Greenland and China look to be the same size but in reality China is almost 4 times larger! In response to such discrepancies, Dr. Arno Peters created an equal area map, a new world map that dramatically improves the accuracy of how we see the Earth.

The Peters Projection World Map is an equal area projection.
    That means that one square inch anywhere on the map is an equal number of square miles. All the countries of the world are represented at true size and true proportion. This is one of the few commercially available maps that is fair to all peoples. Most maps drastically enlarge the size of the Northern hemisphere countries and diminish the size of the Southern hemisphere countries. This traditional bias leads most people to overestimate the importance of the developed nations based on their inflated appearance. The 1999 Peters map comes laminated

@reloader-1:

Hoffman,

Agree with your list. We already have dedicated infantry for all, so tanks are next. The major “naval” powers have unique sculpts (US/UK/Jap/Ger), so all that is left is France/Italy.

The big item is unique tanks.

Yeah, I know we already have dedicated infantry, but I heard rumors that this might not be true for the French, regarding their infantry and tanks… which worried me. I heard talk of using Japanese infantry or tank sculpts or T-34 sculpts. None of which sound good to me.

It is not of extreme importance, but I’d sure like to see France and Italy have their own ship sculpts. USSr ships would just be a bonus, because they are never used anyway.

• Hoffman,

Go to the main page: www.axisandallies.org

French have uber-cool new Inf pieces.

@reloader-1:

Hoffman,

Go to the main page: www.axisandallies.org

French have uber-cool new Inf pieces.

AWW NOOO! I was keeping my hopes up for more dedicated stuff… so much for that.

What the hell!   :x

The Italians have Panthers? It looks like all their units are now German except for the infantry.

The Franch infantry do look pretty sweet… but I don’t like that they have T-34s. It looks like all their planes are Russian too. The half-track is nice, but the rest is kind of disappointing.

• TripleA '12

Well, on the plus side - Italian Cruisers are now of the AA42 variety (better size, and without the stubbed stern). Not sure if the Italian Battleship is the AA42 German variety (as opposed to the smaller AA50 varient) but I hope so.

Also, we now have Italian Heavy Tanks for house rules! And maybe Heavy Artillery too!  :-)

@Lozmoid:

Well, on the plus side - Italian Cruisers are now of the AA42 variety (better size, and without the stubbed stern). Not sure if the Italian Battleship is the AA42 German variety (as opposed to the smaller AA50 varient) but I hope so.

Also, we now have Italian Heavy Tanks for house rules! And maybe Heavy Artillery too!  :-)

I have heard that the AA42 pieces are quite nice… would you recommend I buy AA42 just for the pieces?

• The 1940 pieces and the 1942 pieces are identical. The Italian pieces would therefore be the 1942/1940 style, not the smaller AA50 style.

@reloader-1:

The 1940 pieces and the 1942 pieces are identical. The Italian pieces would therefore be the 1942/1940 style, not the smaller AA50 style.

Yeah, but if I wanted more pieces for some reason… 42 would be the way to go?

• @LHoffman:

@reloader-1:

The 1940 pieces and the 1942 pieces are identical. The Italian pieces would therefore be the 1942/1940 style, not the smaller AA50 style.

If you want plastic AA-guns and factories, yes  :lol:

• definitely. It’s only like 25$ and it has good pieces for if you run out of the main powers pieces plus it is also the best introductory game to a and a (if you wanted to teach a friend or something).

• @LHoffman:

@reloader-1:

Yes! Definitely the way to go.

• WTF?

I really don’t get this. Why does the French Navy have to be Soviet-based? French Navy>Soviet Navy at that time. At least make them British  :roll:

@reloader-1:

@LHoffman:

@reloader-1:

Yes! Definitely the way to go.

Okay, thanks guys.

@UN:

WTF?

I really don’t get this. Why does the French Navy have to be Soviet-based? French Navy>Soviet Navy at that time. At least make them British  :roll:

Seconded. But you all knew that already.

• As soon as I heard 1940 games had cardboard markers i bought 2 copys of 42 for ICs and AA guns. Also make the fricken french british and not soviet.

• AA42 is a really good option to get more pieces, but has no tactical bombers or light infantry. There are also only five armies: USA, UK, SU, Germany, Japan

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m