Problem with lack of balance between the number of air units in Europe and the p

• I foresee a problem with the lack off balance between the number of air units in the pacific and in Europe. The UK can get fly over four planes from India to Africa and the med in its first turn. If Japan has attacked and is going for India you are going to loose it in turn 3 anyways, get the planes over to the med/Africa and destroy the Italians. If Japan did not attack you can at least see where the Japanese fleet moved. If the Jap committed to his fleet and navy to south east Asia you might as well get some of your planes out over to Africa as they will die sooner or later if they stay in India. In this case there might be a good idea to keep two or three, as it might be possible counterattacks that can keep the Japanese out of India for an extra turn or two. If the Japanese does not go for SE Asia it might be worth keeping the planes there.

This combined with the fact that the UK can dispatch a CA from India witch can reach the med in two turns and can activate Persia and take out Iraq from west India before Italy gets there makes it very hard on the Italians.

Sure the Japanese will have a lot of air and ships left when they take India but with an American monster coming for them imp not sure they want to move any large number of units to Africa.

I’m going to play the game a few times as it was designed but if the lack of balance between the Europe and the pacific and then I might try and scale down the number of air units in Asia (because I also find it silly that there are as many figs in NZ as there are in England).  The allies would have to loose a few more units then the Japanese to keep balance.

One example could be:
    Remove 3 figs in NZ
    Remove 2 fig in India
    Remove 1 bmb from Phi
    Remove 1 fig from west US
    Remove 1 bmb from central US
    Remove 4 of the Russian inf in Asia

Remove 2 figs, 2 tacs and 1 bmb from Japan
    Remove 1 fig and 1 tac from Manchuria
    Remove 1 fig from Okinawa

• @Dany:

I’m going to play the game a few times as it was designed but if the lack of balance between the Europe and the pacific and then I might try and scale down the number of air units in Asia (because I also find it silly that there are as many figs in NZ as there are in England).  The allies would have to loose a few more units then the Japanese to keep balance.

One example could be:
    Remove 3 figs in NZ
    Remove 2 fig in India
    Remove 1 bmb from Phi
    Remove 1 fig from west US
    Remove 1 bmb from central US
    Remove 4 of the Russian inf in Asia

Remove 2 figs, 2 tacs and 1 bmb from Japan
    Remove 1 fig and 1 tac from Manchuria
    Remove 1 fig from Okinawa

Wow Dany, do you normally play the axis? Remove 8 allied air, and only 4 Jap (2 to 1)? Then 4 Russian inf too? I may agree w/your theory that compared to the Euro set up that Pac seems to have a lot of air craft. If you start removing them, at least take equal amounts from both sides.

• I remove 8 axis aircraft. 4 figs, 3 tacs and 1 bmb. You must have misread my post.

The setup would not be a problem if the UK could not transfer their aircraft so easily.

• Your right I didn’t see the tacs/bmrs for Jap (changed format). I still think you should start with 3-4 units each and work from there.

• Might be wise, one could just get the 3 Anzac figs in NZ (as they bother me) and 2 of the British air units (as they are the problem) and let the Americans keep their units. This could be countered by removing 3 air units in Japan and 2 in Manchuria.

Anyhow, the situation might be that the UK needs that air and the fact that it can be transferred to Europe is good for the overall balance.

• It’s rather funny because I’ve been thinking the same exact thing as you. Before I knew the official setup, I though Germany would have close to 20 aircrafts… I managed to work on the setup too and, based on the strength of the airforces in Europe (remember that Germany has only 8 aircrafts), I removed even more aircrafts from the Pacific map than you did. Now Japan “only” has 12 aircrafts (this is enough IMO), US 4, India 1, China 1 and ANZAC 1.  In order to balance things IPC-wise, I had to remove 8 infantries in Russia along with a few other ones on the allied side. (Look on wikipedia: 5 infantries in Malaya is way too much when compared to the armies in Europe.) I’m gonna try this as soon as possible and see if it’s balanced (and fun…).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m