• ^ Thanks a million. Now I just need to get my laptop fixed so I don’t have to use this stupid Mac… :|

So anywhere, here’s the situation in my current Pacific 1940 game.

J1 attack leads to typical results, but I have the houserule of the US getting 40 IPCs immediately, so USA builds up formidable navy. China moves everything it can to keep the Burma Road open, and by J3 there is a seizable British-Chinese presence in Yunnan.

The Japanese player was very hesitant to take Yunnan because of the huge Allied army there; an earlier attack on it crippled the air forces stationed in China. So, to draw some British forces out the Japanese used the infantry it used to capture the DEI and brought them up to Malaya. With the help of two cruisers it took Malaya with no resistance (the single ANZAC infantry being wiped out by the cruiser bombardment). Even though the Brits had to divert some infantry south to Malaya it still looked very much like they could and would take it; two infantry could not and would not hold Malaya against a determined British attack.

That is, until the next Japanese turn, when they transferred the three fighters and tactical bombers from the aircraft carriers stationed at the Carolines  to Malaya. On that same turn a major factory was built on malaya, but then something even better for the Japanese happened.

I guess the Japanese player got very gambly (well, can’t expect much more, he’s my friend from Italy  :-P) and decided to attack the Allied stronghold in Yunnan with two objectives in mind:

-Close the Burma Road; most of China has already been taken at this point, but with the Burma Road open they’ll just pile up more infantry;

-Destroy the Allied force looming to take back the Chinese coast.

This is like, Battle of Austerlitz-like action: the Japanese, outnumbered and outgunned, sent in 6 infantry, 4 tactical bombers, 4 fighters, 4 bombers, two artillery against double the infantry, 4 British fighters, the flying tigers, a British tactical bomber, three British tanks, and a few other things I can’t remember at the moment.

Point is, only a Japanese artillery was left standing.

Well, the Japanese air force survived, but it lost three of the fighters. I think the Japs had more infantry than 6, but I can’t recall it now.  :?

Still, their objective was completed: the Burma Road was shattered, China was done for, and Britain’s power had been shattered. I recall how kauf said that India will always fall. Well, playing as Britain, I thought that to be impossible, and so that’s why I moved the majority of the India forces to Yunnan once the Chinese re-took it, and diverted the Malayan infantry to Yunnan was well.

Big mistake on my part.

Well, today we’re going to be continuing the game, and the situation is now this:

India is about to fall, there’s no doubt about that. Japan has 10 tanks and 10 mechanized infantry in Malaya along with seizable air cover. Their income exceeds that of the US by almost 20 IPCs (around 67 or 68 last I checked, somewhere in the 60s). ANZAC, in all this mess, is now simply building up a bunch of infantry and maybe a fighter or two. The Japanese have already begun building up a massive transport fleet with a big infantry stack in Kwantung. I’m pretty sure he’s going to support them with a bunch of artillery and tanks in the Australian invasion, but the Allies have a seizable force in Australia: the Americans have a large bomber fleet there, and there is a lot of American ground forces stationed there. The British cruiser and destroyer from the Indian coast managed to anchor themselves in Sydney, and is currently there.

With India about to fall I’m building up as many fighters as I can, and right before India falls (which is next turn) I’ll fly them all out to Western Australia.

Man, this is why I wish I knew how to take a screenshot of the board and post it up here. :(

But anyway…thoughts on the situation?

• In this game, bombarded units get to fire back before they die.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

In this game, bombarded units get to fire back before they die.

I doubt it would have made much difference. That just means only one infantry would be garrisoning Malaya with three bombers and three fighters protecting it. 4 unsuppored British infantry would not have broken through.

• I assume the Japs destroying the yunnan stack was lucky.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

I assume the Japs destroying the yunnan stack was lucky.

Yes, very lucky. I think I remember the proper OOB:

4 fighters (3 British, 1 Flying Tiger)

1 tactical bomber

10 Chinese infantry

4-6 British infantry

3 British tanks

1 British artillery

And for my sniveling Italian friend:

-6-10 infantry, not exactly sure how much

-2 artillery

-4 bombers

-4 tactical bombers

-4 fighters

Japan got 11 hits on the first round, me 9. Despite my attempts at trying to use psychological warfare, he pressed the attack despite the casualties and basically destroyed everything.  :-(

He might remember it better than I do though. As soon as we play again I’ll ask him how the battle happened.

• Well, if the Japs had 10 inf and the Brits 4, then the attack had a 75%(I’m using a simulator wihiich doesn’t have tacs so offensive tacs became bombers and defensive ones became tanks)

• Did you also put in the 10 Chinese infantry?  :?

• @UN:

Did you also put in the 10 Chinese infantry?  :?

yeah. Keep in mind that japan had 8 more planes than the allies.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

I still call it luck. Grumble

I have a question. I think, since Japan has no navy at ALL in the Dutch East Indies I can have ANZAC send its submarine fleets to disrupt convoys there. But I’m not sure exactly how convoy disruptions work. It said it can’t exceed the combined IPC value of all adjacent territories or islands in the disrupted sea zone.

So if I had 4 submarines in SZ42, the most amount of IPC I can destroy is 19 IPCs (3 from Malaya, 4 from Sumatra, 4 from Java, 4 from Boreno, 3 from Celebes)?

• @UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

I still call it luck. Grumble

I have a question. I think, since Japan has no navy at ALL in the Dutch East Indies I can have ANZAC send its submarine fleets to disrupt convoys there. But I’m not sure exactly how convoy disruptions work. It said it can’t exceed the combined IPC value of all adjacent territories or islands in the disrupted sea zone.

So if I had 4 submarines in SZ42, the most amount of IPC I can destroy is 19 IPCs (3 from Malaya, 4 from Sumatra, 4 from Java, 4 from Boreno, 3 from Celebes)?

Z42 only borders Java, so you can only disrupt Java for 4 ipcs

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m