Allied game plan VS J1 all out attack

• This is to talk about various allied battleplans for defeating the J1 attack, please post your ideas here on what to do.  This assumes Japan takes Kwang, kills UK BB/trans, takes phil, and kills transport at pearl.

UK: There would be little to no reason to build anything but inf/art/mech inf.  One possible tactic would be to purchase 4 mech inf on UK1 and move all UK units toward china.  On UK2 you could reinforce Yunnan with 9 inf, 1 art, and 4 mech inf, along with your planes if desired.  This, combined with chinas 2-6 inf there will hold burma road for a bit longer until you are forced to pull back.  Alternatively you could purchase 1 mech inf and 4 regular inf and put a bit fewer into Yunnan, one should also take the AA gun to help smash japan planes in Yunnan.

ANZAC:  One could either build subs to convoy raid, or destroyers to reinforce the US, or some combination.  On turn 1 you should move an inf to New Guinea so that on ANZAC 2 you can take your NO, or one could move the transport next to new zealand to grab it on turn 2.

US: Your standard purchase should be 8 destroyers and 1 transport with the increased income.  Destroyers are the best trade unit in the ocean.  You should also put your bombers in Australia to help threaten Japan’s transports.  Your standard shuck for your fleets should be to Pearl, then to SZ 54, then to the indies, and/or to SZ 29, then next to New Zealand, then to Java if the other route is not safe.  Your goal should be to menace japan in the indies until your fleet reaches critical mass to begin taking and holding the indies.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

• You should still buy ACs for USA for increased range. Also I think clearing the Pacific of jap boats is more important than taking islands so I’d not buy much trannies first rounds: use ANZAC for island hooping after killing jap boats with USA

• ACs have no more range than a ship at a navel base, both have 3 range, and granted ships can be blocked from this but that still costs you.  Also, with the airbases all over the pacific, killing jap boats requires japan to be stupid, or for them to come to you.  Lastly, 1 AC loaded with a tac/fig will cost you 37 IPCs.  That is 4 1/2 destroyers.  Japan can just load ACs with starting planes, that is no way to win the navel race IMHO.  Because of this, I feel it is more important to go where the money is, liberate the indies and get ANZAC her NO.  AA is an economic game, always has been, and the indies are where the money is.

• Yep, I’m with Vareel on this. Any smart Japanese player is not going to come out to play without overwhelming force unless you are doing something to threaten significant damage to his econ. The only place where I think that is a possibility is the DEI. And it will require TRs and troops or else the Japanese player just wont care.

I think CVs are definitely a necessity for defending your fleets though. There really isnt another combo that is as versatile for the money. 36 IPCs buys you 4 hits and 2 4s and a 2 on defensive rolls. It also allows you to support land targets and to play games with the aircraft ranges from bases to magnify offensive firepower.

• Vareel,

Although this is a bit off topic since it happened in a J3 attack game.  Since my opponent went for India and china all out, which he got of course, I was able to build up quite an anzac fleet.  What I did was purchase a sub on Turn 1 and save the 4 bucks.  Then I purchased a destroyer on T2 and saved the six.  Finally I purchased and ANZAC carrier on turn 3 with the 16 IPC’s.  So I had a fleet of 1 TR, 2 DD, 2 SS, 1 CV with 2 Fighters on the end of turn 3.  Since Japan had not taken India yet (due to awesome Anit aircraft rolls by myself!!) Australia was not threatened, so I did the same thing again.  It’s turn 8 now, and although I don’t have any additional land units in Australia, I have a fleet of ANZAC 1 TR, 2 SS, 2 DD, 2 CV and 4 fighters plus a US fleet of 3 CV, 1 BB, 1 CR, 2 DD, 2 TR, and 3 Tac bombers and 3 fighters all parked off the shores of Queensland.  
    Although Japan has a huge fleet, I mean huge 6 CV, 4 BB, and all sorts of smaller ships, I plan on using this combination to move in conjunction and threaten the Islands and Asian Territories Japan has captured.  Japan technically is making more money than the US, so eventually he will hit Australia or Hawaii and win a victory of attrition on me.  I have to get aggressive and creative to draw him back from the other victory cities.  Im hoping the ANZAC fleet will help with taking and holding Islands.

• @Vareel:

ANZAC:  One could either build subs to convoy raid, or destroyers to reinforce the US, or some combination.  On turn 1 you should move an inf to New Guinea so that on ANZAC 2 you can take your NO, or one could move the transport next to new zealand to grab it on turn 2.

Problem is J1 can destroy anzac fleet to stop this.  Even if you don’t go for the big score of 1 Jap inf v. NSW like we did.

• @MaherC:

@Vareel:

Problem is J1 can destroy anzac fleet to stop this.  Even if you don’t go for the big score of 1 Jap inf v. NSW like we did.

You do that and you will loose the boats you use to do it.  If you park in SZ 62 your two turns away from a base, if you park SZ 54 your lookin at 4 US planes hitting the fleet followed by 4 ANZAC planes.  And I would sacrifice the planes to sink those boats.  Japan can do alot turn 1, but not everything.

• You park in 62.  Please send 4 Spits against my DD, BB, CV Tac Bomber+Fighter.    Massive fleet sitting off the Philippines can link up with you 2nd turn.  No worries from anything after that.

• So you completely abandon carolines to the US on J2, that is wonderful.  Either way even that lose is not that huge of a deal to the allies.

• how have i done that?  there are 4 zeros parked there along with 4 inf from the jap main land on end of J2.

• @MaherC:

how have i done that?  there are 4 zeros parked there along with 4 inf from the jap main land on end of J2.

Wonderful, i’m sure it is so unbeatable.

Hey how about someone play me with Abattlemap and show me this awesome unbeatable J1 offensive.  Module only has 3 easily correctable setup mistakes.

• how are you buying 8 destroyers turn 1 with US?  you have 17.  you don’t have your +40 until the END of your first turn.

• Turn 1 would vary, my personal favorite is a DD and a trans, or a carrier would work as well depending.  I was speaking for later turns.

• so you can’t get to the carolines with anything to even think about taking on 4 inf and 4 zeros until turn 4.

• I might have cost my USA game because I have been buying carriers.  I will purchase some destroyers from now on.

• No, nothing in range, not an AC/BB/DD/Cru/SS/Trans, not 2 strat bombers from Australia, nor the figs/tacs that would be on the islands nearby, none of that could reach on US2.  Nor the added carrier or DD/trans whatever on US3.  Nor whatever ANZAC had purchased.  Not to mention loosing a single ANZAC dd/transport turn 1 effects allied plans in such a significant way that I mentioned other than 5 extra IPCs for ANZAC.

Max potential attack for US vs carolines with optimum positioning on US2 would be 1 Inf, 1 Arm, 2 Strat bombers, 1 tact fighter, 1 reg fighter, 2 bombards (depending).  Max potential attack on the SZ would be the AC/BB/DD/Cru/SS/2 strat bombers, 3 tact bombers, 3 fighters.  No, I cannot take it US2, but I could US3 if I held the SZ.

And that doesn’t even take into consideration you are diverting 2 transports worth of inf to hold carolines just to kill 1 ANZAC dd/transport.

But if we are going to go to such lengths to describe turn 2, 3, etc in such detail, why don’t we just play a game?

• nope, sorry, i’m too scared.

• Come on its all in good fun.  Honestly for the most part i’m playing devils advocate  :-P

• honestly, i tried to use abattle whatever and the thing is so small I can’t see anything, plus I feel like i’d need a degree from nasa to get it working for this version of the game.  and then when i hear i’d have to “fix” things to make it work….ugh.

• @MaherC:

honestly, i tried to use abattle whatever and the thing is so small I can’t see anything, plus I feel like i’d need a degree from nasa to get it working for this version of the game.  and then when i hear i’d have to “fix” things to make it work….ugh.

Yeah I personally vastly prefer tripleA but it won’t be up for this game for about 6 months.  To get it working tho is easy, download it to the proper place, then open it in the main menu.  The ‘fixing’ is just setup fixes, takes less than 2 minutes.  And as far as the size, yea, it irritates me as well.  But to play pacific against someone who is really good requires me to use it so i’ll do what I gotta do.  Those I play with F2F really aren’t that good sadly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m