• @losttribe04:

I thought that was how you said it is “Qi” how you spell it?

Yeah, you say “Qi” like chi in English, which is sometimes spelled that way.  It’s weird nuances in romanizing Chinese to English - there are actually different systems for translating.

It’s why you might see Beijing spelled in a variety of ways: Peking, Pei-ching, etc.

One of my favorite stories is Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, and the three oath brother heroes in the book are listed as Zhang Fei (pronounced zjang fay), Liu Bei (lee-ew bay), and Guan Yu (gwahn you) in a newer book, and Chang Fei, Liu Pei, Kuan Yu in an older one.

Enough about that though…

I will say that Guan Yu eventually ascended as the God of War in Chinese, Taoist, and Buddhist mythologies (varying purposes though), to tie all that into the thread.

• Actually, Beijing is not the same as Peking, it was renamed Beijing from Peking.

• 2007 AAR League

I say potato, you say potatoe…

• @Janus1:

Actually, Beijing is not the same as Peking, it was renamed Beijing from Peking.

It’s based on different romanization (Peking) that is much older than the current Beijing.  It’s not so much that it was renamed, but Mandarin went through some slight sound changes and therefore it’s representation in English changed as well.

I wasn’t trying to confuse anyone (but I see how it might), but I said Beijing first since that is the current use, but I know first hand seeing it printed in the old manner the two ways I listed (and probably more).

• I knew there were different systems for translating Chinese to English, I didn’t know that Beijing was the result in a Mandarin shift, I thought it was a renaming (as in new city name, not shift in the phonetics of the language) from Peking. Thanks for the lesson jermo!  :mrgreen:

• @Janus1:

I knew there were different systems for translating Chinese to English, I didn’t know that Beijing was the result in a Mandarin shift, I thought it was a renaming (as in new city name, not shift in the phonetics of the language) from Peking. Thanks for the lesson jermo!  :mrgreen:

Anytime, brotha!  :wink:
    Now it’s your turn to relinquish the knowledge.

• 2007 AAR League

Anyone know anything about Buddhism?

• that’s a little broad ezto, any specific questions?

• @ezto:

Why yes.

• 2007 AAR League

@ezto:

Yes, why?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m