Allied strategy to get U.S.A into the war AFA report

• This is my first post and my first AFA for PAC 1940.

I played my first game of AA PAC 1940 tonight against my best and most frequent opponent as the Allies vs the Axis.  Loosing to Japan on Turn 8 (forfeiture).

I was playing against an enemy I knew well, tactically and personally.  I was at a slight disadvantage because he purchased the game this time, it was his turn, and had it for a week before I ever got to see it.  To better prepare myself, and due to the lack of a PDF rulebook from WOTC (get on that guys!) I read as much as possible on here about the game and strategies.  I knew he would play as Japan, and most strategies on the website dealt with strategies for Japan, so I decided to base my strategy around how my opponent usually played in the origional Pacific game.  This was ultimatly a major mistake primarily because of being too agressive as the anglo’s and china and my inability to get the US into the war until turn 4.

My opponents traditional pacific strategy was to go all out for india, whilst simultaneously conquering as many valuable islands and making his primary objective the capture of Calcutta (capitol in the old game), secondary objective Victory points, and perhaps some faints towards Australia.  As all of you already know, that dont work in this game!

I had read many posts that advised Japan to attack Asap or sooner than later.  Assuming this would be his strategy I began very agressively as the Chinese and the anglos.  Japan inded Dutch and French territories on his first turn as well as hitting the Burma road.  On the allied first turn I made the tragic mistake of attacking Japan and giving them the advantage by allowing Japan to fight the Anglos and China while US was helpless.

Japan did go for Calcutta and took it more easily since I spent so much material attempting to keep the Bhurma road open. I recognise this as a mistake now because I never even got to buy an artillery for china!  Although Japan had to sacrifice lots of airpower, they cut the road every turn until they took the whole mainland.  They were also now free to take as many valuable Islands (save the philipines) as they wanted.

I now think (just based on my very limited experience), that the allies need to bait Japan into attacking them first and getting the US into the war or else suffer a lower income early in the game.  Although there were some good battles and I did some good defenses, it was only a matter of time before Sydney fell and the US couldn’t stockpile fast enough while having to send so much to the slaughter trying to save Australia.  It looks like the allies are hurt very badly by having all of Britain falling, especially just when the US finally gets into the fight on turn 4.  I thought that aggression would help and the Bhurma road would be worth the sacrifice in the begging hoping that Japan would attack the US, however if Japan does not attack the US, they can easily focus on either Sydney or Calcutta (probably not both) and have no challenge from the US until too late.  the whole time Japan was gaining IPC’s in Asia and the indies the US only got the pitiful 17 bucks!  Although I am not disrespecting anyone’s strategy here, I don’t see how it is helpfull to attack the Allies as JApan the first turn.  Granted, I have only played once, but next time as the Allies, my preffered side, I will do my best to make it incovenient for Japan to not attack, only giving them china and the nonplaying territories and thus a low income as well.  I ended up with the worst situation, Japan got way more money and the US didn’t get in the game until way too late.

THoughts??

• Did Japan invade the dutch islands, because if so, the US would have been at war with them.  Not positive from your post.

• I guess the biggest mistake was to bring the U.K into the war on its own.  That allowed Japan to island hop without causing the US to be brought into the war.  If Japan could not take the valuable islands without the threat of the US entering it should help keep Japan from growing to quickly and allowing her to pick apart only parts of the allies.

The allies need to stick together.  I think the biggest advantage you might have as the allies is that they all go before Japan gets another turn.  They can not attack simultaneously, but you do get to maneuver your pieces and can link up or conduct attacks on strongpoints.  I never played the old AA Pacific, so I can not speak too much on strategy because my experience is limited.

I think the allies need to be in it together as soon as possible.  If they must wait then limit what Japan can do and try to provoke her to bringing everyone into the war.  China might be hosed, but maybe they can just delay as much as possible.

• The game was played 1 on 1 without national objectives.  I was also shorted teh BB and transport in malaya due to setup errors.  Japan did take the Dutch colonies but only after Anglos had attacked them.

Vareel, If Japan attacks the Dutch zones, then US is at war with Japan correct?

• If they are possessed by the dutch, then yes, if UK owns them then I do not think so but not 100% on that, just makes sense that way.

• perhaps its not a good Idea to move Brits into the Dutch colonies since I am not playing with National objectives.  I am think about building a minor factory and naval base in Alaska and an airbase in the aleutians, giving the US a staging and striking position against mainland Japan.

Thanks for all responses.  Playing a rematch tonight.  Merry Christmas.

• From what I understand, NOs are not optional in 40’
    Otherwise Western US would stay at 10 IPCs

Also, take note that if japan ever captures western US, they only recieve 10 IPCs there, not 50

• I don’t have anything personal against national objectives, I was just leaving them out of my first few games for simplification to learn the new mechanics and strategies first.  If NO’s are not optional I suppose I had better start playing with them, being that I want to be competitive in tournaments and must therefore play by standard rules, even though house rules are often very fun.  Didn’t think about the “wartime economy” being a national objective, but there it is in the rulebook, I stand  corrected.

• I got mine yesterday for Christmas
    Havnt played yet but looks awesome

• I think the UK has to be patient and let the Japanese step in it.  In the early turns the UK player may want to get as many boots on the ground as possible.  If they don’t attack Japan then they can enjoy one NO (+5 IPC) for holding Hong Kong and Malaya, they can work toward their second NO for holding the four islands (Java, Sumatra, Borneo & Celebes), and they can position themselves to help China keep the Burma road open after Japan makes the first move.  Unfortunately, UK can not help China keep the road open before turn number three, but after Japan’s second turn you should be able to turn on the heat.  It doesn’t matter if Japan attacks you after their second turn or third turn; the US gets the same money.  It only matters if they attack on their first or second turn.

Likewise, I think the ANZAC forces need to do the same thing.  Be patient and let Japan step in it.  But boots and get them on your islands.  Especially for ANZAC, it is probably much more efficient to buy infantry than artillery and tanks and stuff.  ANZACs big problem is they need a lot of transports to do anything and transports can’t be used a cannon fodder in this game.  Therefore, they will need DDs and SSs.

If possible, I think it would be understandable to bait Japan with a DD or an unprotected bomber or something.  As long as the US loses less than 40IPCs in the bait, they are fine cause they will get a net +.

Japan needs to do two things on their third turn if possible (assuming they didn’t fall into taking the bait), they need to take the Philippines and try and take Hawaii if possible.  This will deny the US the most income.  Next they need to take one island from the UK group and one from the ANZAC group.  This will reduce the combined income of the Allies by 20 IPCs.  Japan should be able to close the Burma road and take Hong Kong too.  Now the Allies have lost 30 IPCs.  Things look very balanced at this point.  The Allies have to work together to stop Japan from many more gains.

• Japan needs to do two things on their third turn if possible (assuming they didn’t fall into taking the bait), they need to take the Philippines and try and take Hawaii if possible.  This will deny the US the most income

Unless the US player is asleep at the wheel I dont see taking Pearl as a viable T3 Japanese goal. I agree that PI must fall on J3, but all the rest of Japan’s power should be pasting the Brits and Chinese. There is little the US can do that early to make any impact on Japan or her econ without risking catastrophic US casualties. Given that, Japan should spend her time and force on overwhelming overkill on the Brits and Chinese. Once they are dead, the game is effectively over unless the US is in serious positions to overturn the Japanese econ (unlikely from what I can see).

I do agree that the Brits have to do everything they can to simply stay alive and force Japan to keep her airpower focused on land. I think that is going to mean investing a in a LOT of troops and maybe AA-guns. A few more of those floating around might give the Japanese pause about throwing 4 Bettys and 4 Zekes/Vals into the fray….

If possible, I think it would be understandable to bait Japan with a DD or an unprotected bomber or something.  As long as the US loses less than 40IPCs in the bait, they are fine cause they will get a net +.

Yes and no. If you can get the Japanese to jump before they are ready then maybe, but once the Japanese kick off, the Brits are going to lose both of their bonuses (assuming they got the 4 island one) and probably half their base econ as well. That goes a long way towards eating into that +40 for the US and frankly, as Japan I’d rather the US had the money than the Brits at that point. My goal as Japan is to keep every Allied IPC OUT of Asia as I possibly can.

This will reduce the combined income of the Allies by 20 IPCs.  Japan should be able to close the Burma road and take Hong Kong too.  Now the Allies have lost 30 IPCs.  Things look very balanced at this point.

Except that Japan still has considerably more disposable combat power on the board as well as FAR FAR FAR superior interior positions and coordination. To me, that is the real killer for the Allies at this point.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m