• Hello!

Just curious to see how you play it. And feel free to tell me what you think a “normal” bid is.

• we just submitted a bit of 8 for Axis - 1 inf, 1 art, with 1 ipc for japan.  We’ll see how well that worked out.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’ve only gone as low as 10 IPC for axis.  1 Armor in FIC, 1 Armor in Manchuria.

• 2007 AAR League

We always employ split bids - max 50% of bid value in units.

Typical bid is 12-18 ipc, actually. I guess the relatively high bid values come from that we play the Axis in a suboptimal way…  :-(

• 2007 AAR League

@cystic:

we just submitted a bit of 8 for Axis - 1 inf, 1 art, with 1 ipc for japan.  We’ll see how well that worked out.

Actually it was 2 Inf to Germany (in Ukraine) and 1 IPC for Japan and 1 IPC for Germany. So far it’s worked well - Russia decided to leave Ukr alone and thus Ger starts the game with 6 Ftr instead of 5.

Yes, well, I don’t get to comment on my Ally’s strategy until after we crush you. :P

But yea, 10 is a good number.  We went 10 as well, you just won by random number generation.

• 2007 AAR League

2 Inf plus 2 IPCs = 8 IPCs, no?  :?

• 2007 AAR League

It depends who I play

• I do consistently well with 7 bid.  I can win more often than not with that bid as the Axis, and less than that I am willing to cremate the Axis playing the Allies.

Bids for our Tournaments here run 5 to 8 IPC on average, with unrestricted bid placement.

• 2007 AAR League

I would never give my opponent more than 6 IPC’s as a bid. My bids are exclusively 5 or 6. 2 inf or 1 unit and/or cash to Japan is more than enough to make the game even. Giving a good player more than 6 is asking for trouble.

• 2007 AAR League

@Perry:

We always employ split bids - max 50% of bid value in units.

Typical bid is 12-18 ipc, actually. I guess the relatively high bid values come from that we play the Axis in a suboptimal way…  :-(

That is called a FIDA bid. My usual bid is 7, but i can do 3 or 5.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve played games with bids as low as 4 and as high as 17.  A bid of 6-9 seems to be average.

• @U-505:

I would never give my opponent more than 6 IPC’s as a bid. My bids are exclusively 5 or 6. 2 inf or 1 unit and/or cash to Japan is more than enough to make the game even. Giving a good player more than 6 is asking for trouble.

How is giving a 6 bid or more asking for trouble?  You’re saying that 7-9 would give the Axis too big of an advantage? How?

• And yet U-505, your current opponent has a 7 bid.  Doesn’t that go against what you were saying? 8-)

• My bid is generally 6 - 10.  It depends on my opponent. :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

@General_D.Fox:

@U-505:

How is giving a 6 bid or more asking for trouble?  You’re saying that 7-9 would give the Axis too big of an advantage? How?

Yes. 7 IPC’s to a good player is asking for trouble. It allows for at least 2 infantry for the Axis and 1 IPC to Japan to give them the flexibility to purchase 2 TP, 1 IC on J1. I won’t allow that. With a 6 bid, either they get the 2 inf OR only 1 ground unit and the money for Japan. Simple as that.

8 IPC’s allows for a TP to be placed immeditely. How could you not see the big advantage of that?

9 or more is Christmas come early for the Axis. 3 inf/ 1 TP, 1 IPC/ 1 inf, 1 arm, 1 IPC/2 art, 1 IPC/1 inf, 1 art, 2 IPC’s/1 arm, 1 art/etc… I’m a kid in a candy store with that kind of bid.

@General_D.Fox:

And yet U-505, your current opponent has a 7 bid. Doesn’t that go against what you were saying? 8-)

My opponent specifically asked for the Axis and 7 IPC’s to try out a new strategy and I was happy to oblige since new strategies typically don’t pan out on the first attempt, I needed some playing time as the Allies, and the game wasn’t rated at DAAK. He’s proven himself as a fine opponent and I doubt I will allow him another 7 bid again.

Tell you what, I’ve got some time before the singles tourney. Give me your median bid ( 8 ) and I won’t even buy a TP. I’ll take 1 inf Lib and 1 arm Kwang.  :-D

• Since you’re so kind to your opponents and don’t want to let them plow through the candy store, how 'bout I just give you a 6  bid as well.  Even in my books, 8 is a little extreme, and I’ve only played a bit.  8 median bid, pfffft, my Canadian snowboot-covered field-goal kicking foot.  8-)

I’ll still plow through 8 bid IPC.

It’s a matter of strategy, not units when we’re talking small amounts.

But I’ll never let you get over 10 IPC.

• As much as I sometimes think I need a 10 bid at times, I would never in my right mind ask for one because I know I would never get it…not unless I’m playing against someone really inexperienced.  Besides, a 6-7-8 bid is roughly a good target to shoot for.  I like the 7 bid most.  It gives flexibility in what you can buy and where you can put guys.  Yeah, it could get a little predictable as to where, but not always with the what.

• 2007 AAR League

@General_D.Fox:

Since you’re so kind to your opponents and don’t want to let them plow through the candy store, how 'bout I just give you a 6  bid as well.  Even in my books, 8 is a little extreme, and I’ve only played a bit.  8 median bid, pfffft, my Canadian snowboot-covered field-goal kicking foot.  8-)

Fair enough. 1 inf Libya, 1 inf Manchuria.

@Jennifer:

I’ll still plow through 8 bid IPC.

It’s a matter of strategy, not units when we’re talking small amounts.

But I’ll never let you get over 10 IPC.

OK. 1  Japanese TP sz50.

Get the threads started and do up your Russia’s.  BBTirpitz1936@aol.com

I was going to take up jsp’s request for an opponent but now it seems I’m forced to put my money (or my foot) where my mouth is. Have at thee!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m