• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Back to my vision of:

1 DD, 1 BB, 1 AC, 2 FIG, 2 TRN, 1 USSR Sub vs 1 DD, 2 SS, 1 TRN, 1 AC, 4 FIG, 1 BMB

Yea, you’d win, but odds are you’re facing Russia with no German Airforce and with America hitting Africa heavy OR America putting her fleet in SZ 8 to protect new British transports against your solitary fighter or two.

The goal, of course, is to get Germany to squander her air force killing the British fleet leaving the American fleet safe from harm and allowing Britian to avoid the need of future capital ship purchases. (2 US DD’s with 6 transports is more then enough to defend against 1-2 fighters and a bomber.  Especially once that British Carrier and American BB arrive on the scene.)

Problem is, Russia is solo against Germany and Japan for 2 rounds.

• I guess it depends on how man fighters are in range. I think it wasn’t so good in our game because I was able to attack with all German planes and though I had bad luck and lost a fighter the expectation was something like AC and all planes survive. Against 5 ftr it would be losing all navy and 0 or 1 fighters.
    I think Germany is happy to lose a fighter in this battle because it sets Allies shipping back so far and allows the Baltic fleet far more use than it has any right to.

4 ftr or less though and Germany expects to lose multiple fighters and risks a total whipeout if things go south.

So how do you use the British fleet in the first two rounds without loosing them the instant you use them?  It serves no purpose to use the fleet if it is sunk before you can use it again, then you might as well just build bombers and SBR Germany to death (-32 IPCs a round from US/UK) in hopes Russia can crush them.

• 2007 AAR League

Yes, and if it wasn’t for my bad luck the UK fleet was toast with maybe my navy lost.

The UK should first kill the German Navy with pretty much pure air-force. Yes this take a few turns to accomplish. in the mean-while get rid of the africa korps then concentrate on Europe. might as well deplete the germans of the African Income right away on your drive to Berlin.

Personall I think SBR is underrated…. (they have never helped me yet) I have yet to see them used effectively on me. For instance you were bombing anywhere from 4-14 IPC dmg to me a turn on Germany, That did not stop me once from producing 10+ units and a offensive unit. that also slowed your ground troop production cause 15 IPC is a lot for the UK to spend.

SBR in my opinion is most effective by the axis in leading up to the destruction of Russia to prevent them from making them extra few units that might make the difference in the siege on them. thats just my take on it.

When britian can’t build a fleet, 15 IPCs for a bomber is nothing.

And without a fleet, how do you take Africa?  America cannot defend it’s own fleet, so they’re sending 16-28 IPCs a round to teh bottom of the ocean shucking troops in while the German fleet is now centrallized in AZO/Sea Zone 12 or Sea Zone 8.

You know how many planes England needs to sink 1 BB, 2 TRN, 2 SS, 1 DD, 1 AC and 2 Figs???  12 Fighters at least, very least, absolute minimum.  While they’re building that, germany has 5-7 free rounds to attack Russia.

Seems to me the game’s biased against England.  Maybe we need a British bid instead of an Axis bid to even it out?

• If that is what is happening in your games… you need a better opponent :-)

• 2007 AAR League

The Initial fleet of UK and US is enough to support themseleves together first on the outside of the Algeria SZ.
    on turn 3 alone you can hit the Baltic fleet with 7-8fgts, 1 bmb and still have 3 trns, 1 BB and a newly purchased AC for that turn.

and the fleet you just said is assuming the baltic and med fleet join? I rarely see this and if I do see it hapening, then the big fleet is dying first before it can reach the little fleet.  :-D

Only way you can stop the little fleet and big from merging is to sacrifice your fleet attacking it, or moving it in the way of one fleet and letting that fleet and the entire German air force sink it for you.

I see it as a loose/loose for England, win/win for Germany.

Only option the Allies have are to spend 3 rounds building fleet out of range of the Luftwaffe then merge it together from Sea Zones 10 and 2 into Sea Zone 8, then attack.  By then, with no threat from teh west, Russia’s been reduced to smolders if she still lives.

• You really need some new opponents…

• 2007 AAR League

NoMercy and I bought three fighters in UK1 - seems like it should work out rather well…

• 2007 AAR League

Russia is not in smolders after 3 turns, thats for sure.

Japan takes forever to get to Moscow and Germany cannot afford to Hit Russia to hard to early or risk loosing there initial offensive units.

Swtich our match will happen one day. I might bring out the real board for that match, unless you decide to install the battlemap in the time being

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m