Axis and Allies 50th Defending Aircraft Carriers

• When aircraft carriers are under attack, and have fighters on board ( your own fighter’s/ and friendly fighter ), can the fighter defend in there usual defend mannor, or are they sitting ducks and in use for a hit if the carrier gets hit ( if you choose not to fly them to a near by safe ground before the battle ) ?

• They defend, even if they are allied fighters

• @sala33:

When aircraft carriers are under attack, and have fighters on board ( your own fighter’s/ and friendly fighter ), can the fighter defend in there usual defend mannor, or are they sitting ducks and in use for a hit if the carrier gets hit ( if you choose not to fly them to a near by safe ground before the battle ) ?

Tarling is correct, but I just want to add that the fighters must take part in the combat, they cannot choose to run away; with the exception that if only subs attack the AC, then the planes can not attack the sub (because a DD is not present).
    Also, if the attacker is defeated or retreats and you still have a fighter that survived, he can ONLY move one space to land - whether on land or a friendly AC.
    Thanks.

• Tarling,

Thanks for the help and also Captainjack. Reading the rules made me question and wanted to get another oppinion!

BTW Captainjack, DD meaning Defending Destroyers, so planes can’t shoot subs if there is enemy Destroyer presant in same sea zone in the whole game, or is it just in this only situation with the AC.

Okay, Reversing the question my original question, if you’re attacking AC with fighters on board, do you use your fighters on AC in battle as well…?

• DD is the naval abbreviation for a destroyer. To be accurate the abbreviation for an aircraft carrier is CV.

• Thanks…!

• Official Q&A

@sala33:

so planes can’t shoot subs if there is enemy Destroyer presant in same sea zone in the whole game, or is it just in this only situation with the AC.

Enemy destroyers don’t keep planes from hitting subs.  Friendly destroyers enable planes to hit subs.  If there is no destroyer friendly to the firing air unit in the battle, the air unit’s hits cannot be applied to subs.  This is always true, whether for attacking or defending.

@sala33:

Okay, Reversing the question my original question, if you’re attacking AC with fighters on board, do you use your fighters on AC in battle as well…?

You move your own fighters independently of the carrier.  They take off before either unit moves, so they both begin movement in the same sea zone.  Both fight in any battle(s) they end up in, which could be the same one or different ones.

Fighters on your carrier that belong to another power on your side stay on the carrier when it attacks and are treated as cargo.  They may not fire and may not be taken as casualties.  If the carrier they’re on is destroyed, they’re destroyed along with it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m