A few of MY favorite quotes . . .

• When asked if Russia can beat Canada on Thursday if it plays to its capabilities, Malkin said, “Easily.”

“We can compete with them physically,” explained defenceman Andrei Zubarev. “But, on a technical level, we will beat them. Historically the Soviet type of hockey was more skilful. This year is no exception. We will try to beat them by skills.”
    “We can compete with them physically. We are more skilled. If we play to our technical level we will beat them,” said defenceman Andrei Zubarev.

Put all of the above together and you have a composite quote – “We will win, we will beat them, probably dominate, easily.”

And finally:
    Canada won the world junior hockey championship on Thursday in Vancouver, capping an unlikely undefeated run with a 5-0 win in the final over Russia.

• note:  Russia had EIGHT returning players from the championship that they lost to Canada last year - Canada had NO veterans.  Also not one Canadian made it on the “top 15 scorers” list.  This shows what a little teamwork can do . . . .

• So, does he mean beat them on a technical level, such as having a team of Spetsnaz assault them after the game?
    Congrats on your country’s performance.  Perhaps the Russian egos made it too hard for them to put their heads together in a little teamwork.

• @Jermofoot:

So, does he mean beat them on a technical level, such as having a team of Spetsnaz assault them after the game?
    Congrats on your country’s performance.  Perhaps the Russian egos made it too hard for them to put their heads together in a little teamwork.

I agree.  They were overconfident and played as such.  I think they relied too much on Malkin, and not enough on the “team”.
    (and thanks - i had nothing to do with it, but i am proud of those boys.  I think a couple of the goal scorers were from Winnipeg - my hometown - as well)

• Give it a few years. The United States will be winning WJCs again. Kessel, Johnson, Ryan, and others will be a great class of 18-19 year olds, assuming they aren’t in the NHL by that time.

And seriously, that Russian team was pretty stacked. Imagine if they had Ovechkin and the Canadians had Crosby and Brule? That would have been a special tournament.

The Olympics are going to be interesting. Canada is a clear favorite, but I think that Sweden may be a strong underdog. They finally have their goaltender. Plus, Forsberg and Alfreddson have never been better. Czechs could be dangerous too, especially if they add Elias to the team at the last minute.

• I checked out a DVD about the miracle 1980 US hockey team last summer.

It also covered the highly touted CCCP Red Army team.
    They were all officers in name only.  Never went to boot camp, never got fatigues, most never even fired a weapon.  They trained for hockey pretty much straight out of the womb.

They also practiced skating sprints with 30 Kg weights tied to their belts. 
    Very mechanical, very technical, with a very long winning streak over a few years that was finally broken by a few eager collegiates from MN, MA, MI, a lucky goalie, and a coach who pushed them to the limit.

• @Linkon:

I checked out a DVD about the miracle 1980 US hockey team last summer.

It also covered the highly touted CCCP Red Army team.
    They were all officers in name only.  Never went to boot camp, never got fatigues, most never even fired a weapon.  They trained for hockey pretty much straight out of the womb.

They also practiced skating sprints with 30 Kg weights tied to their belts. 
    Very mechanical, very technical, with a very long winning streak over a few years that was finally broken by a few eager collegiates from MN, MA, MI, a lucky goalie, and a coach who pushed them to the limit.

I wonder what would have happened if the best Canadian players were allowed to play in this tournament (they were disqualified as they were dominating the professional leagues).

• A really good goalie who was hot on game night was a major part of the US miracle victory.

He was lame in the Madison Sqr gardens exhibition came a few weeks before.  He bucked up on the right day.

The odds on the US was to finish 4th at best for the 1980 Olympics, w/ most oddsmakers settling w/team USA around 7th.

Superb goaltending was cited as the key for Czech Republic’s 1998 gold medal finish. 
    The Dominator was soon recruited into the Detroit Red Wing uber Olympic team.  I think they had more medal Olympic team members than any other NHL team.

• It’s not hockey, but can be even more brutal.  I watched “Murderball” last night and it was great.  I don’t think I’ve seen a separate Canada/US rivalry that’s been as volatile.  Check it out.

• A really good goalie who was hot on game night was a major part of the US miracle victory.

I disagree. The Herb Brooks system was so simple yet so perfect, and that is why the US won. Brooks took advantage of the primary thing which differentiated his team from the Soviets: youth. A lot of the Soviet players were on the wrong side of 30. They were much more talented and were technically superior to the Americans.

Brooks took the speed and stamina which his team’s youth provided and used those attributes to beat the Soviets. He designed a system designed to out skate and out last any older team out there. For half a year he constantly conditioned every member of team USA. He trained them to put the puck into open space instead of trying to thread it past the technically superior Soviets. By putting the puck into the open ice, they could use their superior skating ability to get to it before the Soviets.

His system would never work in any other setting. He was helped by great goaltending on Jim Craig’s part, but his forwards really did the job.

• A few of my favs…
    "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. 
    I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."  - Ronald Reagan

"Trust, but verify."  - Ronald Reagan

"You can tell alot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans."  - Ronald Reagan

"What makes him think a middle aged actor [Clint Eastwood], who’s played with a chimp, could have a future in politics?"  - Ronald Reagan

"We will always say ‘No!’ "  Jacques Chirac

“When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope” - Josef Stalin

“We will bury you!” - Nikita Krushchev

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. — Albert Einstein

one of my favorites…

The reason men like war is because it is the only thing that they do that women don’t laugh at. - Don’t know

Nobody ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other bastard die for his. — George S. Patton

O Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth to battle-be Thou near them! With them, in spirit, we also go forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe. O Lord our God, help us to tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it-for our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is the ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen. The War Prayer, Mark Twain.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m