• Does anyone else take Borneo turn one with Brittan, I mean its defended by one inf and worth 4IPC’s.

This is what i do; Attack Borneo with 1 or 2 inf from India(depens on your luck) and a fighter, I also send the destroyer to attack the japan transport.

You’ll usually win the fight and japan will only have 1 transport on their first turn. If u start with an industrial complex in india build 3 tanks. Now japan has to either reinforce the mainland or take borneo back. You can also build and IC there of your feeling balzy then Borneo will be a huge spine in japans back. This however will limit your dealings with the germany folk.

What do u think?

• I disagree. Japan takes back Borneo and destroys british fleet with 4 3 ftr 1 CV 1 BB 1 TP 1 inf 1 arm. Destroys Pearl fleet with 1 BB 1 DD 1 SS 1 CV 1 ftr and 1 bmb. (other 2 ftr to mainland, else to pearl as well.)

• That’s a poor pearl harbor attack group. If you happen to take one casualty then you’re screwed on the counterattack since you have just 1 BB + 1 dest + 1 ftr + 1 car. The US will attack with 1 BB + 2 ftr + 1 trans + 1 bmr and more often than not win. Sometimes you don’t even have the SS to attack with because the UK’s sub sunk it 1/3 of the time which makes it even worse.

That attack against Borneo is also pretty risky. You will win the naval battle no doubt, but you’re pitting 1 inf + 1 arm against 2 inf. That’s a tepid 50% to win. I’d rather have more assurance than that.

Also since you did nothing about the kwangtung destroyer, you’re going to have to build 1 dest + 2 trans instead of 3 trans because the trans would be at risk of dying to that destroyer. Even so the UK would probably attack and try to get another transport even if you protect them with a dest since his navy is pretty much suicidal anyways.

• er, that is every single naval unit that can reach pearl save the one transport. (isn’t it?)

yes you’re right, send 1 ftr to borneo instead of the surrounding SZ to remedy the problem.

• WHAT?
    first of all it is UK attacking with 1 or 2 inf their choice and a fighter, i dont know where you got a tank from??? :?
    secondly the reason borneo is a prime target is because 3 reasons:
    A) It requires no naval battle to amphibious assault :-)
    B) It is worth a hefty 4IPC’s! :lol:
    C) It is only defended by 1 INFANTRY……ONE!!! (not two) :-o

and if your destroyer killes the lone transport, you have just cut the japaneese transport capability in half, and if they want china they need to reinforce the mainland(not take back BORNEO!)

remember…Borneo = 1 JAP INFANTRY

• Commissar Adam:

Trihero is discussing the options from JAPAN’s point of view - - the 1inf 1arm are Japanese units landing vs. the 2inf that may have survived the UK invasion of Borneo.

Anyway this is certainly a provocative use of the UK southern fleets.  The 4ipcs makes it front-page news that Japan must immediately respond to, and anything he has to divert TPs to will delay his expansion in Asia.  Interesting!

• I usually recommend using attacking the solomon islands sub with the australian sub + indian fighter. If you have the anglo-egypt fighter then go ahead and invade Borneo too. It’s just that I like to help shift the Pearl Harbor odds out a bit so Japan has to be more committed to it. The problem with attacking Borneo is if Japan builds 3 transports the first turn and if you can’t sink them; he can easily retake it the second turn and invade India the third turn which will be 2 infantry weaker. He may even be tempted to attack it turn one since it will only have 2 infantry maximum and he can bring something like 2 infantry + 4 fighters + 1 bomber against it if he so wishes.

• @trihero:

I usually recommend using attacking the solomon islands sub with the australian sub + indian fighter. If you have the anglo-egypt fighter then go ahead and invade Borneo too. It’s just that I like to help shift the Pearl Harbor odds out a bit so Japan has to be more committed to it.

It’s probably staring me right in the face, but isn’t it 5 spaces from Anglo-Egypt to Borneo?

@trihero:

The problem with attacking Borneo is if Japan builds 3 transports the first turn and if you can’t sink them; he can easily retake it the second turn and invade India the third turn which will be 2 infantry weaker. He may even be tempted to attack it turn one since it will only have 2 infantry maximum and he can bring something like 2 infantry + 4 fighters + 1 bomber against it if he so wishes.

I agree.

• It’s probably staring me right in the face, but isn’t it 5 spaces from Anglo-Egypt to Borneo

Whoops you’re right. What I really  mean is if you have both fighters then I would consider taking Borneo because then you have a fully loaded carrier afterwards which is pretty annoying.

• Now that I think about it, isn’t 1 inf + 1 arm v 2 inf more than 50% to win?

2 2
    1 3

Although only by a slim marigin, so I’d probably still send the ftr.

• but you can’t send a fighter from india to borneo :|.

you’ll need the AC.

mmmmh…

• Would you please clarify what you mean? I’m talking about sending a ftr there as Japan on the counter-attack.

• "If u start with an industrial complex in india build 3 tanks. "

Is there an optional rule that allows UK to start with an IC in India? Otherwise India will be lost on the 1st turn, especially if you place an IC there. 1 or 2 inf to defend is not enough, the 3 tanks you refer too can not be placed there the same turn as the IC.

I like the idea to take Borneo and plan to try it the next time I play the Allies. The last game I played I gave up India, but one of our house rules moves the victory city from Calcutta to Australia.

• 2007 AAR League

I thik ive got grasp with the india defence idea. Do the usual in russia, but place ur tanks in Cau. Bring the 2 inf from Kazak to persia in turn one. Then on Uk turn, buy an ac (to be placed on india), and send India destroyer to attack the lonely Jap transport. Load 2 men from india into teh transporet and take borneo. Land the Ac fighter in india and mobilize the infantry from trans to persia, and from perisa to india. You will have 2 Inf, AA and Fighter to defend india. Also take your AC away from danger into south africa. As for the Australian little fleet, load two inf into that transport and attack New Guinnea, while sending your sub to sink the jap sub off of the salomon islands. The remaning IC’s should be spent in teh european theatre, but i shall not discuss that here. If everything goes in your favor, the japanese will have to chose between attacking india and risking a counterassault by the russians, or atatcking the united states at China. This will also keep them occupied for a few turns, in which the asia wall stratergy should be applied.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m