Should white people feel guility?

• Yup that’s the question.

Should I as a white person feel guility for past sins of my race? Not to offend anybody here but for me I don’t feel guility at all. Not to say that I don’t feel bad about what happened.

It’s just that I wasn’t even alive to stop any great injustice!!! I can’t help it if some white people thought slavery was a good idea a long time ago.

Sorry about this quick rant but i just had a really weird debate with the most guilt ridden white guy I have ever meet. And I have met quite a few.

Anyway he said that every white person should feel guility forever.
    Anybody here think the same way??

What happened to not blamming the whole group for the sins of a few??

• @waraxis:

Yup that’s the question.

Should I as a white person feel guility for past sins of my race? Not to offend anybody here but for me I don’t feel guility at all. Not to say that I don’t feel bad about what happened.

It’s just that I wasn’t even alive to stop any great injustice!!! I can’t help it if some white people thought slavery was a good idea a long time ago.

Sorry about this quick rant but i just had a really weird debate with the most guilt ridden white guy I have ever meet. And I have met quite a few.

Anyway he said that every white person should feel guility forever.
    Anybody here think the same way??

What happened to not blamming the whole group for the sins of a few??

yeah, stupidest concept i’ve come by in a long time. I do feel some anger at people who try to lay guilt at my feet. Gimme an f-‘in’ break - who do you think you are trying to ruin my day because life sucks for you. Get a job and leave me alone.

• Great reply Cystic Crypt. Wish you were there to debate that guy.

At the close of us fighting it over he was almost at the point of calling me a racist cause I told him I didn’t feel guility. If only you guys could have been there. That was a strange day.

• Does that ignorant person you were debating understand that black people enslaved black people also? Now that he realizes that, all blacks must feel guilty for slavery also… :roll:

• Yeah I had brought that up plus I also brought up the fact that in Africa it still goes on in some places. But he didn’t care. Everything he would say was about white people.

Damn wish I had rembered this forum during that conversation, he would have made a interesting member here!!

• there are a few other approaches i like with these people - depending on the discussion:

“It’s all about color with you, isn’t it . . . ? You’re just a racist with a cause - ooooo poor black people and evil white people - just because some other black people sold them into slavery to a bunch of Portuguese people who sold them to a bunch of white people 200 years ago, and this is my fault?”

You can do the same for affirmitive action programs “so what you’re saying is that minorities can’t get it together - they are unable to obtain the education and qualifications that are required for the job, and therefore the color of their skin makes them more suited to the job? With AA are we not saying that these people require the beneficence of and racism against the white man in order to get ahead? Does not every minority in an AA situation then not hit the glass ceiling harder than the white man? 'Cuz clearly they’re only there because of the color of their skin and not because of merit? Man, you’re the biggest racist ever - i know plenty of minorities with such-and-such positions who got them because of their merit, and you want to sell that down the river to assauge some b-s guilt that you’ve incurred because of your own self-righteousness and inability to actually contribute anything useful to the world???”

yeah, i’m in a foul mood today - i’m missing a textbook, and i can’t see 99% of my desk . . . .

• Do I feel guilty? Not one bit. Should we, when looking back in history, hold Slavery and it’s aftereffects against important people? Absolutely.

For example, people usually see Woodrow Wilson as one of our great presidents. However, most history textbooks never mention his flaws. Prior to his presidency, the US armed forces were desegregated. Whites died alongside Blacks in equality (If my memory serves me right, T.R. is responsible for this), however Wilson (a closet racist) ordered the army to resegregate.

Our problem is we don’t hold Racism and Slavery against our past leaders. No one alive today should feel guilty.

• CC, you’ve got a point there man. The frustrating part about arguing with some who supports AA is that when you point to all these successful examples of black people in prominent and respectable positions throughout our country, the AA supporters seems not to want to realize that–but instead claims that’s the exception.

• what is up with these people? i’m not going to feel guilty about something that I can’t change, usually I don’t feel guilty about things I CAN change…I realize that perhaps due to my background, I might not be as friendly towards colored people as I am toward white people, but most of them have different interests than me, etc. if I have certain feelings towards people of color, I can change that, and as long as I realize this, that’s all that matters to me.

• Good point DS. Anytime someone who has accomplished something of worth it would seem the standard responce is

Why that (insert name) dont count, (he/she) is in the pocket of the (insert organization or political ideoligy )

• Exactly.

I forgot, but who was it that called Colin Powell an “uncle tom sell-out” or something to that effect? In any event, I gaurentee you that it was someone who was beneath him in both reputation and respect. :wink:

• I’m glad that most of the regulars here agree with me on this subject.
    Thanks for the replies. I have the feeling that this guy was a college student and we all know how bad the education is in some colleges!!!

• @waraxis:

I’m glad that most of the regulars here agree with me on this subject.
    Thanks for the replies. I have the feeling that this guy was a college student and we all know how bad the education is in some colleges!!!

or at least how blunted, ideological, and politicised history the education is.

• You would be suprised Cystic Crypt on how bad some stuff is being taught to college students. I have heard that some proffessors have claimed that the Soviet Union had a better economy than us before they fell apart.

It’s crap like that makes me want to kick some of those proffessors out of the system.

Some proffessors are nothing but ideological.

• @waraxis:

You would be suprised Cystic Crypt on how bad some stuff is being taught to college students. I have heard that some proffessors have claimed that the Soviet Union had a better economy than us before they fell apart.

It’s crap like that makes me want to kick some of those proffessors out of the system.

Some proffessors are nothing but ideological.

they tend to focus their stats around ideologies. Certainly the USSR appeared to have a better economy than the US . . . less unemployment, fewer people hovering around an arbitrarily determined poverty line, less discrepancy between rich and poor . . . it all depends on how you define a good economy.
    but when a mcdonald’s hamburger costs a week’s wage as opposed to half-hour’s minimum wage, there is something to be said about smart heart health ;)

• @cystic:

but when a mcdonald’s hamburger costs a week’s wage as opposed to half-hour’s minimum wage, there is something to be said about smart heart health ;)

So are you saying the Russian economy was better because it was harder to kill yourself by obesity? :wink:

• :D :lol: :P

Very funny Grigoriy.

But you have to admit that Cystic crypt makes a good point!!!

• What we should not forget is the following points:

How much profit did we (westerners) make by the slaves, how much profit did they make for us?
    What would be the interest rates that we would charge?
    Will we “repay our debts”? That is, give the above money to organizations etc. that work against the injustices that have their roots in the days of slave-trade?

And i am not talking of the situation inside the US, but of all western countries. We still employ de-facto slaves, and do not care. We made up our first wealth on cost of slaves, and now that we are rich, give credits to the countries we exploited before and let them pay the interest (our interest is more important than wether their people get food or not)…

I don’t know wether we should feel guilty, but whoever (of us westerners) uses words like “fairness” or “same chance” should be aware that he/she is in a highly favored position, on cost of continents like South America, Africa and large parts of Asia.

• You can expand the original question of this post to include whether or not the German people of today should feel guilty for the sins of the Nazi’s. The Nazi’s deemed my Slavic brothers in Central and Eastern Europe “sub-human” and planned them to be directed to the death/labor camps after the Jews. Do I hold that against the present day German - certainly NOT !

• Yet Germans are still forced to pay Reperations.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m