Should people with very low intelligence be BANNED from driving in winter?

• '17 '16 '15

you should move “in winter” to one of the options of the poll

• It snows once or twice  a year in England and the country grinds to a standstill.
    People do not bother going to work.
    It is ridiculous.

Like you Jermofoot, I could have had so many accidents, but you avoid them as you can see them before they happen if you can drive properly( which means looking ahead and anticipating the obvious).

I am sure some of you have heard of these Eastern European criminal gangs who purposely cause accidents to claim the insurance money.Recently,  one caused a death here in England and has been sentenced to prison. I find it surprising it has taken so long.

• It’s outright scary, when you are in the passenger seat of a car and start people watching on the roads. The amount of people who text on phones and drive is awefully high.

• I know what you mean Worsham.
    There are few people I will happily let drive me.
    My cousin used to spend most of the time seemingly looking down playing with his radio!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

For the record:

Stupid Drivers and Stupid Communists are very close to the same thing.

They are both some of the most terrible things in the world to deal with, and they end up getting lots of people killed.

• '12

The trick to turning control on ice/mud is to hit the gas.

Garg, you must drive a rear-wheel drive?  If you hit the gas with front wheel drive and they spin, you go in a straight line.  Found that out when mom went from the 76 Nova to the 85 Skylark.  I still remember the look on the face of that guy crossing the road as I was slowly sliding towards him before I learned on the fly, recovered and went on my way!

Now if you have chains or studs on the tires different thing, not legal around here……

I LOVE rear-wheel drive in the winter!  Vehicular ballet should be an Olympic sport!  Nothing like spending 3-6AM in a parking lot full of fresh snow while the police are too busy dealing with clowns in the ditch or worse.

Witt, snowstorms in England make for good news clips here!

Normally we don’t get whacked by cold here too much, being between a few great lakes keeps the temperature moderate.  But one time Lake Erie froze over which rarely happens now.  In any event, imagine 100s of square miles of ice covered in a foot or two of snow then being blown onland by a storm bringing a snowstorm to boot!

Google the blizzard of 77 ,.  I doubt you would have to add " southern ontario "

I remember they would only let you walk home from school if you had a buddy who lived  really close by, and they would call to make sure somebody was there and that you got there.  It was not that big a deal to walk 1.5 KM in that weather save for maybe 1 day in that event.

The rest of Canada makes fun of southern Ontario for how much we whine about winter!  Well except for the west coast, screw them right Garg!  wry grin

No doubt they had something on wiki, I never read that article before!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977

My friend had a snow drift up to his window.  He was on the second floor of his house.  Some people actually had to use the second floor windows to get out in order to shovel the doorway out.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@MrMalachiCrunch:

If you hit the gas with front wheel drive and they spin, you go in a straight line.  Found that out when mom went from the 76 Nova to the 85 Skylark.

Isn’t it the other way around?  I find in a FWD car I get good traction in a turn if I give it some gas because the front drive pulls the car with the weight of the engine over the wheels.  Slow down before the turn then accelerate during the turn.  In a RWD truck the wheels basically just push you in a straight line and you fishtail into the nearest snowbank, even with the back full of sandbags.  RWD trucks are useless half the year and 4WD is too expensive for me.  All vehicles should be manual transmission too.

If you live in a place where studded tires are legal, definitely go for the studs.  One time in Quebec I was following behind a pair of transport trucks in a bad snowstorm (so I could see where I was going sort of).  The one in front went off the road and then the second one hit his trailer.  I had studs on the car and they kept me on the road AND I only hit a few pieces of the wreckage.  Minimal damage to my car and was able to finish the trip.

edit: ahhh on ice, yeah I get it.

• '12

Depends if the tire spins, I was thinking on ice.  In that case, go around the corner giving just enough gas not to slow down the front tires.  I usually give it gas and purposely slide around, tough to do in a front wheel drive, you have to give it gas and brake to stop the back tires and not the front.

I LOVE standard but one thing new drivers can do wrong is down gear and let the clutch out too quickly or not give the engine a bit of gas to sync the speeds.  Again as a young driver I did that, it broke traction on the front tires as I popped the clutch and the car was pushing the engine up to speed for that gear.

My 4wd is pretty much a winter beater, got it used for 2 grand a few years ago.  Not the best on gas but spending 10 grand more to save a bit of gas seems a poor usage of resources.

Now the standard z28 would be a hoot in winter!  Not that it has seen snow in the last 2 decades tho, its first decade I can’t speak for!

• LOVED the poll!

I am a communist. LOL….very funny.  :lol:

• @Gargantua:

This is the most epic description I have ever heard.

imminent cataclysm of stupidity.

Love it… ;)

Why thank you.

But I typed it with equal terror, despair, and shame.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m