Air combat in the first round, bfr Naval or ground Cmbt & Air Supremacy

• '17 '16

Here is my last revised version, and I hope simpler and more playable.

I also intended by this Dogfight and Air supremacy House Rule to create a kind of little counterweight against The Bomber fleet strategy (if it ever prove is OverPower effectiveness).

Aerial battle during the opening round of combat.
    When their is planes on both sides, the first roll is treated differently.
    It is not a different roll as regular combat roll. It is just an improve effect when a “1” is rolled.
    When attacking and defending Fighters and TacBombers which roll a “1”, instead of treating it as a regular casuality, it must be an aircraft casuality.
    It is still the owning player which decides his casuality amongst planes (Fg, TacB, StratB).

When Strat Bombers are attacking, only the outnumbering StratB amongst aircrafts + 3/AAA can have a special effect on a roll of “1”.
    Example: 3 StratB and 2 Fg attacking 3 Fgs. Only 2 StratBs can get this special effect on a roll of “1”.
    3 StratB and 2 Fg (5 planes) attacking 1 Fg + 1 AAA (1+3=4). Only 1 StratBs can get this special effect on a roll of “1”.

This effect is the same as Air Supremacy, which means a “1” from a StratBomber can pick any ground or naval unit as casuality, once the owning player had selected all other casualities from the whole combat round.

StratBombers on defense have no special roll.

Air Supremacy
    This special rule apply at one condition: no plane is present on the other side at the beginning of the battle.

Air Supremacy give any attacking planes or defending Fighter or TacB when rolling a “1” to be able to choose as casuality any ground or naval unit once the owning player selected all other casualities.

AAA will be A1D1M1C5, on first round can get up to 3 preemptive rolls @1 against attacking aircrafts, max 1 roll/aircraft (as OOB AAA). Each AAA can also block 3 planes from rolling for Air Supremacy, including StratB in aerial fight.
    That’s why, AAA unit can attack on a regular combat move. They attack @1, but can also prevent Air Supremacy from defending aircraft.

Example: 3 StratBs and 2 Fgs attacking vs ground units only + 1 AAA. Only 2 planes can have a Air Supremacy effect on a roll “1”.
    So, when AAA is present, attacking or defending player have to tell which rolls are special.

Just remember for all Air Supremacy effect:
    The ennemy player which can pick 1 casuality, do it at the end of all those selected by the owning player.
    So, if a player got 1 hit while having Air Supremacy in a naval battle, and the other player choose to damage 1 battleship amongst other casualities, then this BB can be selected and sink by the other player.

Other OOB rules about casuality apply, like Subs cannot be taken as casuality by a plane hit if there is no DD present.
    Owning player have to allocate all hits if possible.
    So a defending player cannot keep subs lasts because some ennemy StratBombers cannot choose them. If there was some attacking surface vessels that can make hit on subs, then the defending player must allocate hit on subs and left other surface vessel to be hit or destroyed by planes.
    Etc.

• I think it is simpler to just have a single round of air combat before regular combat begins.
    All aircraft hit on 1s, AAA are also fired during this round but all dice in this round are simultaneous,
    That is roll for AA and all planes, then remove the carnage, choosing your own casualties, proceed to normal combat
    If during ANY round of normal combat, one side has fighters while the other does not follow these simple rules for air supremacy
    Fighters may target tac or strat bombers
    Tac bombers may target ground units, land or naval.
    For both, targets must be chosen BEFORE any dice is rolled
    NOTE: strat bombers have no bonus, they don’t need one

Also note that while you may achieve air supremacy at some point during a battle, your fighters and tac bombers do not have to choose their respective targets, but it must be decided BEFORE any dice is rolled for that particular round

• '17 '16

Thanks,
    you have your very own way of thinking out of the box. :-D

Always a surprise.

You leave me with a lot to think. :?
    In addition, your solution is nearer what I left behind in the beginning of this tread: a more tactically oriented Air combat phase (like a SBR phase).

I have to ponder the respective value of both: more strategical or the other.

• '17 '16

Actually, I would not create a single round of air combat before regular combat begins.

IMO, it creates an unbalancing effect against aircrafts strategy.
    If it was the case, the first roll of any planes could be a hit but not being taking in account.
    Example: 3 attacking fighters roll “2” “3” “3”, result: no hit against defending planes.

But, in a regular round, it would be 3 hits.

Creating this special air phase make all planes attack preemptive AA strike.

While integrating it in the regular first round, it still be as a AA strike, but without preemptive effect.  So all planes can hit as a regular combat but some can still destroy them in the first round.

• '17 '16

Your suggestion help me think about specific role of fighters.

I would add an Air Superiority effect for fighters (different from Air Supremacy):

In the first round of battle, the side which have more fighters can now pick the aircraft casuality of his choice when any fighters roll “1”.

The other side still hit planes on “1” but the casuality is still selected by owning player.

I’m still pondering about TacB and StrB role (if any for them).

• Tac bombers need something, they are rarely produced relative to fighters and strat bombers
    How often are 1s rolled? 1 of 6 on average IMO
    The benefits of being able to choose bombers and/or tanks outweigh the risks

I would also suggest letting tanks roll a 4 for each tac bomber present if air supremacy has been achieved, that is for each tac bomber one tank rolls at 4 instead of 3. Tac bombers do not change

This even further increases air buys and also gives tanks a buff which they need

We already have a round of combt befor normal combat (AAA) just add all planes to that round, everything hitting on 1s. Easy

Air supremacy is checked for each round of combat, before any dice are rolled for that round

These rules will magnify both fighters and tac bombers buys as well as tanks, and also promote a combined arms approach to purchases similar to artillery and infantry

You want enough fighters to achieve air supremacy, but also a good even amount of tac bombers and tanks to maximize air supremacy when you do achieve it

This kills multiple birds with a single stone
    It should reduce somewhat the infantry/mech spam with sprinkles of artillery that we see now
    It also indirectly buffs AAA as each AAA adds 3 more dice to the air battle in defense, and increases your chance of gaining control of the skies

• '17 '16

Just talking about TacB,
    I find it strange the attack and defense value vs cost of this unit.
    If 1 fighter A3D4M4C10 is the basis.
    1 TacB A3D3M4C11.    Let’s find the error…

Based on this basic, fighter cost less and defend better. Who wants a TacB?
    Of course, you must buy one fighter (10IPCs) or 1 tank (6 IPCs) to get the other bonus.

So to get A4D3  it cost 11+6 or 10= 17 or 21 IPCs.
    Average for 1 unit:  A3.5/8.5 IPCs or A3.5/10.5 IPCs.
    It lasts as long as you keep both units.
    Loose your tank and you fall down to the base A3.

I think it explain a bit why TAcB is not that interesting in itself.

I read somewhere that defense is a bit favored in A&A. Attack may need some more aggressive unit…

Maybe if TacB was at the same price as fighter it could create a better incentive and be a match for fighter in A/D/cost ratio. For the same cost, you loose a good defense @4 for a D@3 but you may eventually gain @4.
    HR TacB A3D3C10 with the same OOB bonus: +1A when paired with Tank or Fighter.

However, maybe my intuitive price evaluation of unit forget something by solely comparing with fighter…  Armor and Germany should be part of the equation…?

But the StratB A4M6 for 12 IPCs is also a temptation to not buy a poor A3M4 TacB…

• '17 '16

@Uncrustable:

Tac bombers need something, they are rarely produced relative to fighters and strat bombers

I would also suggest letting tanks roll a 4 for each tac bomber present if air supremacy has been achieved, that is for each tac bomber one tank rolls at 4 instead of 3. Tac bombers do not change
    This even further increases air buys and also gives tanks a buff which they need

We already have a round of combt befor normal combat (AAA) just add all planes to that round, everything hitting on 1s. Easy

Air supremacy is checked for each round of combat, before any dice are rolled for that round

These rules will magnify both fighters and tac bombers buys as well as tanks, and also promote a combined arms approach to purchases similar to artillery and infantry

You want enough fighters to achieve air supremacy, but also a good even amount of tac bombers and tanks to maximize air supremacy when you do achieve it

This kills multiple birds with a single stone
    It should reduce somewhat the infantry/mech spam with sprinkles of artillery that we see now
    It also indirectly buffs AAA as each AAA adds 3 more dice to the air battle in defense, and increases your chance of gaining control of the skies

Very thoughtful ideas. I like them.
    However my first impression is your HR change much more the balance.
    I’m looking for just small changes.
    I will come back on this.
    You have some compelling reason like this one:

Thank you very much for your challenging ideas.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m