• Maybe this question has already been asked and answered but anyway here it comes: if i understand well, subs have the possibility to escape from battle at all times (attacking and defending). From this rule that should mean that a sub cannot be destroyed by the attacker (no matter the type of attacking unit) if the defender (the sub owner) decides to submerge at the time of the attack. So i guess subs can only be destroyed when the defending (or attacking) sub decides to stay in the battle and thus taking the risk to be hit by the defending party. Am i right or am i missing something on this sub issue?

• The subs are subject to fire on the first round, after that they can decide if they want to stay and fight or submerge

• Subs cannot submerge untill the attacker has had an opportunity to attack in any round. If the sub is either attacking or defending then it has the option of either firing or submerging. Hence, a sub could move into combat and immediately submerge, escaping any sort of damage; while defending, on the other hand the sub must endure at least one round of combat.

• Thanx for clearing out the situation and helping a newbie on the matter.

• @bossk:

Hence, a sub could move into combat and immediately submerge, escaping any sort of damage;

give then gives rise to the “stalling technique”, as you can only load/unload transports for amphibious assaults during the combat movement, and only when there are no enemy ships around.
    Therefore, a sub, which just got up from its “move in and submerge” mission, will halt this for one round (and 8 IPCs).

• I just finished reading all the posts in this forum, and I’m more confused than ever! I would greatly appreciate it if a rules expert would clarify the question: can a defending submarine retreat? Thanks!

• I think they can.

• I just finished reading all the posts in this forum, and I’m more confused than ever! I would greatly appreciate it if a rules expert would clarify the question: can a defending submarine retreat? Thanks!

Of course, but it still has to endure at least one round of combat before it can retreat. (oh yea, and it can’t retreat into a enemy held sz) :)

• I think subs have lost their special retreating rule in Europe and Pacific. I’m fairly certain you can’t retreat subs (unless attacking), you may only submerge them.

• Sucks… but makes sense. :)

• I like subs as America, whenever i play as America i automatically see it bein my mission to kill all the subs in the Atlantic.

• @bossk:

I think subs have lost their special retreating rule in Europe and Pacific. I’m fairly certain you can’t retreat subs (unless attacking), you may only submerge them.

This weekend I reread the rules, and defending subs can retreat or submerge.

• Just as I thought. :)

• I’ll be damned. How did I miss that bullet? All well.

• The rule book answers that question. Subs can be sunk at any time they just chose to run instead of fight back after being fired upon

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m