• Unless you ALSO take out India - China becomes a resource drain and is better off ignored entirely.

• @urmomsmom7:

I don’t know. I’ve won every game since I started ignoring China so I don’t know. How do you guys take over China?

What setup have you been using and where is the Axis gaining victory, Europe or Pacific?

• china usually falls very easy with little resistance

dont attack the burma road til J2 (and hold it) and from there head to india

use 2 INF to take the remaining empty china territories

if china doesnt do the predictable thing and put everything to save the burma road then dont worry about those units, just take the burma road J2 (no trading) then off to india

it wont take very much at all to keep whatever INF china has in the northern part at bay

you cannot let china keep the burma road and send waves of INF into those Asian coastal teritorys that are worth 2-3 apiece, and cutting off the burma road makes it easier to take calcutta anyhow

• But if you don’t take Burma Road then China builds arty…

• If you don’t attack Yunnan J1, then China can counter-attack Yunnan on C2 with
    12 Inf, 3 Art, 1 Fig.
    Even if you stack Yunnan with literally everything possible on J2, China has good odds to simply destroy everything you put there.  That’s pretty devastating in the balance of the mainland war.

• @urmomsmom7:

I don’t know. I’ve won every game since I started ignoring China so I don’t know. How do you guys take over China?

i use the planes that i do not have on carriers and the few infantry i have at first to wipe out as many chinese as possible, especially around the burma road, i do not put any extra resources into a chinese campaing once i loose momentum y pull back to the high paying territories and defend them i might reinforce japanese troops in china on J 4 - 6 depending on how i am doing in the other areas…

• NEVER ALLOW CHINA TO BUILD ARTILLERY.  Always attack Yunnan and Hunan round 1.  3 infantry doesn’t sound like much but when attacking along with the fighter and 15 or 20 infantry to soak up hits, they can sustain several rounds of dice rolls.

The best way for them to really clobber you is to simply pull back 1 territory away from your main force (e.g. to Szechwan).  As soon as you take the territory adjacent to them (e.g. Yunnan), you wont be able to land planes on that newly captured territory.  Without protection from air units they will attack and clobber you.  Then if you get angry and try to attack with loads of air units but not enough ground units to soak up hits, they get to clobber you a second time.

• so china pulling back to szechwan counters my strat pretty well :P

• Maybe.  If they attack you in Yunnan and actually take the territory on turn 2, you probably have another bunch of ground troops that just moved into Hunan from Anhwe.  Now you can smash them with those ground units supported by all your air power.  At that point you grab as many chinese territories as fast as possible so they don’t rebuild their army.  All of China is your cash cow.

BUT, what if they strafe you instead?  Suppose they attack Yunnan on turn 2 with 3 artillery, 1 fighter and just a handful of infantry.  A few infantry are lost on both sides and then they pull back to Scechwan.  Next turn you land air units and move ground units into Yunnan and you are excited thinking you can go in for the kill.  BUT, they move back to Sikang or Shensi and when you walk into Sechwan we repeat the process again.  Do that routine a couple times and you will find yourself out of position and short on ground units.  You might be a smart guy and walk in with just 1 infantry but then they are completely off the hook and they march around China 2 territories away from you regaining lost territory and growing bigger and bigger until they get brave and retake Peking.  That will be one VC you dont get because by that time they will have >30 infantry on it!

A lot of people would not think to just strafe you though.  Most would go all in and then you would prevail.  So your strategy would probably work most of the time but its up to the other side.

• '18

Seems like there are various opinions on how best to play Japan.  I have only played AAG40 with the OOB rules but will be playing with the newest Alpha 3 rules soon.  Can anyone help me by explaining the impact the new alpha rules have on Japan?

Also, I have traditionally liked to use a kill Russia first with the Axis and apply pressure to Russia with Japan?  Is this less effective with alpha 3 - specifically with the new Mongolian rules?

Thanks

• China= big resource drain for Japan.
    That’s all I can say on this topic.  8-)

• @urmomsmom7:

China= big resource drain for Japan.
    That’s all I can say on this topic.  8-)

i would completely disagree, china falls almost without trying

it will be much more of a resource drain later if you dont take care of them early

• I so agree with uncrustable

• China is easily doable by Japan, and the Mongolians are pretty close to irrelevent. If Japans strategy involves attacking Russia then enough power will be applied so that the Mongols don’t make any difference. If Japans strategy involves avoiding Russia then the Nongols do protect Russia a little bit but when the 18 inf are well on their way to Moscow Japan can attack and only have 3 infnatry to deal with, the 3 inf in the back side are close enough to Moscow that they will probably head straight there and are 2 or 3 turns away from causing Japan trouble anyway.

• '22 '16

Here are the 3 things I have learned fighting China:

1. They are NEVER completely taken care of!
    2. 1 minor IC on the mainland building 9-12 ipc’s of Mech or Inf plus dedicated air force can keep them in check.
      The trick is to keep their income around what you spend at the factory.  I agree they can be an economical drain
        if you are having naval troubles.
    3. Take India, Burma road is closed end of story!

China can be what Japan lets them be!  Just my two cents.

• I agree with the above. China really isn’t worth the time. India I just leave as a job for the Italians. My opponent marches them to Africa and the Middle East since Japan doesn’t attack them at all. I just focus on Australlia and America and Russia. Also sometimes I will launch an attack on India with the Japanese navy if I feel I can spare the resources.

• You say “Let China be” but remember they can capture Hong Kong and Shanghai. Thus even if Japan was to take Calcutta, its work would then have to take Sydney and Honolulu, with its navy. You think America is going to sit by and let you do it, in Global? Ha ha.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m