• So…… on Easter week im playing AAG40. I have played it one time and I was USA and China. I spent all my money on Pacific, that made it easy for germany to conquer USSR.
    Then soon the allies lost… :cry:

So im USA and China again and i need good strategy!!!

• Well to start off, as USA

1: Focus on one theater at time, but still make sure to spend in both. For the first couple of turns, create a sizable navy in the pacific. Try to attack in tandem with the smaller factions, like ANZAC, to cause maximum damage to Japanese Aircraft carriers and transports.
    2: After you think your navy has grown strong enough, begin building transports and ground units in the European theater. Do not wait until Japan’s navy is completely wiped out, otherwise Germany will have pushed too far in Russia. You need to open up an allied European front before Germany can get too close to Moscow. It is usually best to land in Normandy/Bordeaux, and reinforce with the British. But if you can sack Rome, do it. 
    3: As a china, if you can buy artillery, buy it. The Burma road is never open long enough to have access to heavy equipment again. In general, avoid piling your units together in one territory. Fall back, force the Japanese to send their ground forces deeper into China. If they don’t attack, reverse the pressure and hit their valuable ground units.
    4: In general, if you need to lose units, it best to lose them in China. China has no victory cities, so if you have to lose 3 infantry to kill 1 Japanese infantry, it is worth it. China is a bullet shield. Play them like it.

Good luck, and good hunting, General…

• Thanks!!!

How about Uk and ANZAC? :?

• @empireman:

Thanks!!!

For anzac you should give one task maybe defending dei or philippines

• @empireman:

Thanks!!!

The strategy for UK is extremely difficult to nail down, because everything UK does is just a reaction to what Germany and Japan do. You need to have a good player play UK, as they will have to have the most judgment when playing. But there are some absolutes when playing as the UK.

1. If Germany tries to take England via naval invasion, make it as hard as a possible for Germany. Build all infantry in London and pull back as many air units as possible.
    2. If Germany does NOT attempt this invasion, capitalize and throw everything you can at Italy. Don’t try and hurt Germany until the US backs you up. However, if you have a transport safe in England, try and land a single infantry in any unoccupied territory, especially Norway.
    3. In the med, hurt Italy as much as possible, and wipe out any transports you can. Hold Egypt for as long as possible, but if you know you are going to lose all your forces there, pull back and wait for a counter opportunity. A good idea is to build a transport in South Africa, and ferry units up to Egypt with it.
    4: It is best not to mix the Indian navy in with European affairs, as you will be susceptible to naval attacks by Japan. In India, take the Dutch East Indie Islands ASAP, but then invest heavily on infantry to defend against Japan. Keep your units in Calcutta, and if Japan takes Burma, TAKE IT BACK (but with as few units as possible)! Japan will not be able to land its air force there. Keep this exchange going as long as possible.
    5: As ANZAC, all they need to do is not lose Sydney, and to annoy Japan as much as possible. Kill their transports, and keep them busy.

• In the Pac I like what KillOFzee laid out. I would normally spend 2/3 Pac w/US building mostly war ships early on. US is the hammer, and Anz cleans up, and grabs land. If Anz is getting income in the 20’s (very possible), I maybe build a carrier at some point, but mostly I like to have them build tpts, subs, and dd’s to trade tt’s/islands, and smaller ships w/Jap, and kill Jap tpts w/US & Anz. The Japs rely heavily on mobility, once they start losing tpts (and they will), it is tough for them to keep their income up (too many choices, not enough tpts/units so they have to give up some tt’s to you). A strong Anz can really be a thorn in Japs side, they can’t afford to continue trading dd’s & tpts (losing their dd cover) with the US lurking in striking range and keep a the land battle going in Asia. Like KillOFzee said sometimes it’s better to give up tt, and counter attack to kill Jap ground units w/o air cover. They are normally starving for ground units (try to make a Jap meat grinder or dead zone)

With UK Pac I like to build mostly mobile land units from the first turn (your income will most likely plummet fast). You’ll find that it’s hard to move out of India w/slow moving units because Jap can threaten all the coastal tt’s or India, and you can’t get back fast enough to defend if/when you enter China. UK1 I will normally move most units + 1AA (maybe 2AA now that India gets a 3rd w/new set-up) to Burma, and block sz 37 w/dd so Jap can’t hit my Burma stack (or India if they moved south & built a naval base on Kwangsi). For what ever reason in our games the UK India fleet heads to the Middle East, and sometimes ends up in the Med, but the BB can head to the Australian coast UK1 to be the defensive back bone for the Aussie fleet too.

In the 2nd turn, if the Japs have a sizable stack of land units on Yunnan, and another good stack somewhere that the Chinese can kill I might go for it and attack w/both China & UK. It really is a judgment call, but if I can kill the bulk of the Jap land forces in Asia, maybe have China build art on the next turn (Burma Road), get my war time bonuses for both UK Pac & Anz (make sure you also get Dutch NG), it might be worth it delaying the US entering the war. You can make China a quagmire for Jap in the right situation, and grind their Asia movement to a halt.

W/US Europe I build some tpts to get units to Europe (active Brazil w/2 tpts & 1 ground unit once at war etc…). Make sure you build a carrier & dds US1 & 2, and hope the UK has some ships left to offer cover for your fleet maybe at Gibraltar to start. You have to make sure your fleet is strong enough to get to Europe and survive (the Luftwaffe and subs can be deadly), and Italy/Germany get a 1-2 punch (keep in mind subs can pass through the straights of Gib regardless of which side controls it). Italy can also take a tt (like Algeria) giving the Luftwaffe stationed in W Germany a landing place for an attack on your fleet off coast of Gib.

UK Euro depends on if the Germans are going for Moscow, or England. A good German player may hold back some income G1 just to keep you guessing. Try to get control of the Med, but I personally don’t like to do mutual fleet destruction UK1 (Italy will generally get greedy and leave its fleet compromised away from the safety of the Italian air base, or attack you and you get better def rolls, or can counter their weaken fleet with RAF). If Moscow is the axis target the UK should be in position to get some air to Moscow at some point, or some fast moving units in from India/Egypt. They also generally reinforce US landings w/ground (AA), and ftrs.

• I believe China’s strategy is very simple: C1 counterattack into Yunnan freeing up the Burma Road. Consider this on C2 as well if Japan gets nonchalant about that territory. However, as soon as the odds are against you to hold Yunnan, retreat immediately.

Where you retreat to depends on the Japanese enemies and troops. If you think it’s wise to let UKP come at Japan, retreat to Sikang. If not, retreat to Tsinghai or Kangsu.

If Japan leaves your giant infantry stack and fighter alone, roll through their territories with the goal of distracting them.

If not, say your prayers.

As the US, you’ve got to really react to what is going on around you. The one biggest thing to realize is that you must do everything in your power to prevent one side from getting to the victory cities needed for a win. It’s really that simple, but how to stop the Axis varies from game to game. If Germany has taken UK, liberating it should be your first goal in Europe. If Germany is merely convoying/bombing UK to death, send some fighters and destroyers over to bail out Britain while you come in through Africa to ensure that Italy can’t hold Cairo until Germany gets to Moscow. Once you have Africa/the Med, you can choose whether to land in Italy or in France (or even W. Germany or Denmark or Norway or northern Russia). If you’re here, congratulations–you have won Europe.

In the Pacific, you have to be able to count. It’s pretty much that simple. You need to be able to count that Japan can get 5 VC’s without crossing onto the 4th board. Their 6th will be either Sydney, Honolulu, or if they’re a gambler San Francisco.
    Simply hold the 4th board (or thereabouts; this can be modified). But, if Japan gets to the point where it has more income than you and ANZAC (India/China will be dead), they win unless a miracle happens. So before this tragedy occurs, count their money. Count yours. Simply ensure that they aren’t too big economically, and if they start growing too big, focus your attention there.

Try to balance both boards while slowly beating the European Axis.

• Thanks everyone! :-D
    I will tell you who wins!

Just one more question: Russia and France?

• France won’t play a real role.

If Paris holds till France’s turn build inf.

Otherwise just move ur units where they’ll help the allies.

Will talk USSR when I’m not really tired.

• What advantage do the Allies actually gain by waiting for Japan to strike on J2?

Wouldn’t it serve the UK’s and China’s best interest for the UK to interdict on UK1 and send forces into Yunnan to maintain an open Burma Road?

A well played Japan script usually dictates a J2 move against multiple UK territories, a DEI and possibly the Philippines.  Why wait, and instead attack Kwangsi from Kwangtung, Yunnan from Burma on UK1?

If you open up China to a C1 purchase of artillery, it truly sets Japan back on the mainland and requires either Japan deeply investing on the mainland or giving it up entirely to Chinese Infantry backed by Artillery.

The only drawback that I can see is the US cannot be brought into the war now without Japan directing an attack on the Philippines, which isn’t particularly bad if Japan starts losing ground in China.

• China goes before UK.

• If UK DOW on japan round 1 then japan is free to ravage the entire pacific/asian theater with zero threat of an early USA entry

UK and ANZAC would stand no chance and both capitals are likely to fall before USA will be in any position to help,
    With Calcutta and Sydney down Japan would then be able to focus 100% on USA and USA would have no choice but to counter leaving Germany free to take Moscow and probably London also

As Japan i dont think anything would be better for them than an early UK\ANZAC DOW

• The question still remains (I forgot UK went after China).

Would reinforcing Yunnan with 2 Inf, 2 Ftr, 1 TacB be worth the possibility of China obtaining Artillery and Japan having to lose multiple aircraft to retake a Yunnan with potentially 5-6 Infantry covered by 3 aircraft?

Can a C2 purchase of Artillery sway the balance in the Chinese/Japanese conflict?

How devastating is it for Japan to lose possibly 4-5 aircraft trying to take Yunnan on J2?

Is Calcutta entirely exposed at this point?  People seem to say Calcutta is dead in the water to a well played and determined Japanese player.  Why not give Japan fits if you think your gonna lose the capital anyways?

• @Uncrustable:

If UK DOW on japan round 1 then japan is free to ravage the entire pacific/asian theater with zero threat of an early USA entry

UK and ANZAC would stand no chance and both capitals are likely to fall before USA will be in any position to help,
    With Calcutta and Sydney down Japan would then be able to focus 100% on USA and USA would have no choice but to counter leaving Germany free to take Moscow and probably London also

As Japan i dont think anything would be better for them than an early UK\ANZAC DOW

Show me how Japan gets both Sydney and Calcutta before the US capable of wartime moves and moving after the J4 turn.

I do agree its not particularly the best move.  But I’d rather create fits for Japan early than sit and play Sealion v2.0 in the Pacific with India.

• @Spendo02:

How devastating is it for Japan to lose possibly 4-5 aircraft trying to take Yunnan on J2?

Not quite as devastating as it would be for UK Pacific to lose its air force.

• As promised, my Russian strategy:

There are 2 routes, and which one you use is dependent on Germany’s plan.

Assuming Barbarossa, as that is the easiest:

All inf. Perhaps 1 art or 1 arm, but inf is your purchase. You can either fall back all the way to Moscow or defend all your IC’s, but you don’t want to be fighting  major battles with Germany in any other territories unless you get him exposed.

If there is Sealion, you still want 6 inf. per turn in Ukr/Leningrad (sometimes I’ll put an art or 2 in there as well), but the rest should be on mech/tanks in Moscow. Put all your forces up front (save some in Leningrad in case of amphibious assault) and be ready to defend/attack Germany along Rom/Hun/Pol.

• thanks again! :-D
    I will tell you who wins!

• @KillOFzee:

Well to start off, as USA

1: Focus on one theater at time, but still make sure to spend in both. For the first couple of turns, create a sizable navy in the pacific. Try to attack in tandem with the smaller factions, like ANZAC, to cause maximum damage to Japanese Aircraft carriers and transports.
    2: After you think your navy has grown strong enough, begin building transports and ground units in the European theater. Do not wait until Japan’s navy is completely wiped out, otherwise Germany will have pushed too far in Russia. You need to open up an allied European front before Germany can get too close to Moscow. It is usually best to land in Normandy/Bordeaux, and reinforce with the British. But if you can sack Rome, do it. 
    3: As a china, if you can buy artillery, buy it. The Burma road is never open long enough to have access to heavy equipment again. In general, avoid piling your units together in one territory. Fall back, force the Japanese to send their ground forces deeper into China. If they don’t attack, reverse the pressure and hit their valuable ground units.
    4: In general, if you need to lose units, it best to lose them in China. China has no victory cities, so if you have to lose 3 infantry to kill 1 Japanese infantry, it is worth it. China is a bullet shield. Play them like it.

Better check your board again, unless they moved Shanghai, it is in China.

• @Larrie:

@KillOFzee:

Well to start off, as USA

2: After you think your navy has grown strong enough, begin building transports and ground units in the European theater. Do not wait until Japan’s navy is completely wiped out, otherwise Germany will have pushed too far in Russia. You need to open up an allied European front before Germany can get too close to Moscow. It is usually best to land in Normandy/Bordeaux, and reinforce with the British. But if you can sack Rome, do it.� 

Better check your board again, unless they moved Shanghai, it is in China.

But Shanghai starts in Japanese control, and the Chinese lack the strength to push through Japanese lines to get to Shanghai. What I mean is that it doesn’t matter if China is wiped out, as they have no VCs that aren’t already locked down by the Japs.

• ok, the game……

ROUND 1

Germany takes France.
    Japan Attacks Burman road wins but loses 2 Fighters and 2 Infantry, with only 1 arty left.
    China retakes Burma road.
    UK loses fleet in Atlantic.
    Japan Attacks Russia.

ROUND 2
    Germany positions troops along russian border.
    UK takes Tobruk.
    France takes Libya.
    China Pushes back Japan.
    Russia forms a Massive “Russian Wall” along German border.
    Russia forms another wall in the east.

ROUND 3
    Russia pushes back Japan
    Japan Breaks through china’s “wall”
    China retreats back and forms a defensive line.
    US troops land in Soviet far east and pushes back Japan.
    Japan takes philipines, and Indonesia

Round 4
    Germany Attacks Russia
    China Pushes back Japan with UK troops.
    UK destroys all Japanese troops on the India front and helps china.
    US … its 6:30 and everyone is brain dead… Game over. Axis had 159 IPCs, Allies 153 IPCs. Axis won.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m