• @WILD:

what do you do with italy???

Secretly make a deal w/US player. Make horrible attacks w/both navy and ground units. Save all your IPCs from the start (don’t buy anything), so when the US sacks Rome they get all your $ and effectively bring you to the allies “winning” side.
    Screw the Krauts :evil:

Oh crap, that’s almost how it went down.

How much real money will the US player give you? If none being on the “winning side” isn’t worth it.

• @Dylan:

How much real money will the US player give you? If none being on the “winning side” isn’t worth it.

I suggest you make your own deal, then we can re-name you “Benedict the Canadian” :-D

• Stalingardski- I see your point, the new rules on scrambling aircraft do make that a powerful. I think having the Italians take south France, at the very least, would help off-set handing the Balkans to Germany. I still think Italy taking Bulgaria is a good idea, they could always use the extra troops if nothing else.

• In my games, Italy is used mainly to defend. If a tanranto raid happens, the Egypt is practically mine since the Brtish NEED to bring the gibralter fighter to the fight, and if the aircraft carriers is destroyed then the fighter is dead anyways. I clear the rest of the British fleet and secure the Med.

Depending on how Italy is doing, I may or may not send the tank and mech from Tobruk with the inf and arty in Libya into tunisa to get the north africa NO.

Its far more important to get the Middle East, to collect the money there, and threathen both Calcutta and Stalingrad.

But once Italy has around 30 IPCs per turn I start sending Infantry and Artillery into Paris. If the Americans and British land it lets me counterattack easily. With Italy defending europe, i let the Germans focus 100% on Russia.

• Wow KillOfreeze, as UK I always attack Tobruk and never do that Taranto raid.  The UK odds on Tobruk are sooo much better than that fleet battle, and Africa can be easier to defend if you kill the Italian Army that starts in Africa.

• Anything especial.

• I created a theory with Italy. If Italy captures Ukraine, Russia has lost.

• @Dylan:

I created a theory with Italy. If Italy captures Ukraine, Russia has lost.

…care to elaborate on this?  Like…why?  Are you referring to an Italian army or Italian can opener?  is 3 production really going to matter for Italy when it’s can opener army comprises mech/tank so you can also threaten flank attacks?

• Italy 1 save all 10 IPCS

Capture Tunisia, Gibalter, Alexandria (usually pulled out of,) South France, Kenya, Greece and sink British and French ships using your navy and airforce. Italy collects 36 with NOS. Then buy 6 Tanks roll for the Ukraine. Once you’ve captured that you can prepare defense at home and you can mobilize right in Russia (keep making tanks.) Then keep on mobilizing mainly tanks to Ukraine. Then you should capture Egypt soon then your planes can be more used to attack Stalingrad along with your tanks and if not take it, Germany will kill it.

• @Dylan:

Italy 1 save all 10 IPCS

Capture Tunisia, Gibalter, Alexandria (usually pulled out of,) South France, Kenya, Greece and sink British and French ships using your navy and airforce. Italy collects 36 with NOS. Then buy 6 Tanks roll for the Ukraine. Once you’ve captured that you can prepare defense at home and you can mobilize right in Russia (keep making tanks.) Then keep on mobilizing mainly tanks to Ukraine. Then you should capture Egypt soon then your planes can be more used to attack Stalingrad along with your tanks and if not take it, Germany will kill it.

Great plan, however you are a couple of bad rolls away from totally screwing the axis cause.

• @ahensley85:

@Dylan:

Italy 1 save all 10 IPCS

Great plan, however you are a couple of bad rolls away from totally screwing the axis cause.

Use the force and have the dice rolls, roll on what you want.

• See, this is always the problem with these games. You can come up with a great idea, and great over-arching stratgey, and it will look unbeatable. The problem is these plans always fall apart on the specifics. Yeah, you could try to play to the averages, maxamizing you attacks, and increasing your odds for success. However it will always come down to the dice, and alady luck can be a fickel mistress. I really think it makes planning anything beyond the first 2 turns a total acedemic and hypothetical pursuit. There are just to many variables to account for, any number of ways a seemingly sound stratgey and come undone.

I like these forums because you can extrapolate out to greater degree, everyone offering their counter points acting as the variables I mentioned before. To me though, the dice can never be trusted, and therefore detailed planning is beyond the first turn is all speculative

• I agree.  In warfare, you make a plan and stick to it.  Almost all variables are known values, from our fighting spirit to the enemies and even including weather.  (SARCASM)

But yeah, you can try and have a plan, but being able to adapt that plan to the current conditions is where the actual strategy for the game comes from.  The dice represent the randomness of war, quite nicely I think.  I would be willing to move to D8’s or D10s for more variation tho.

• @Clyde85:

@frontovik,
    I really don’t know how your games go, I rarely see more then a single fighter in Egypt. Usually, as Jimmy said, Germany is threatening London(well said as always jimmy :-) ) so Britian is loathe to spend IPC’s in Africa, usually husbanding it’s resources for a major defense until America can get there or the threat to London evaporates. So taking Cairo isnt that much of a stretch for Italy if Germany is being played well.

As for taking the territories in the Balkans, I think it’s better for Italy to have an economy that is easier for it to defend. Taking large tracks of Africa is good, but one major naval push by an allied player and Italy will be cut off from this income. Not that an allied player couldn’t convoy raid the Balkans, but it would be much more difficult. Italy can defend the Balkans more readily then Africa, not having to transport troops there across a potentially hostile Med.
    With this secured, Italy can send reinforcments to the eastern front and “can opener” for Germany.

2 or 3 indian fighters, plus leftovers from taranto do the trick
    yeah, sealion can’t be stopped
    even with all fighters. as germany i’d attack it round 4 then, making all that extra defense quite useless (figs for inf?) and giving italy free hand in africa…
    tell me if i’m wrong, cause imo this is best thing to do as allies.

• Off topic on my first paragraph, I admit.

JimmyHat - a friend and I changed everything in Revised to d20 for a bunch of games quite some years ago… it actually worked quite well, because everything could be adjusted by increments of 5%. It was fun, and felt more realistic. I wouldn’t recommend it for a game with as many variables as Global, though.

I’ll resubmit this idea - the best place for Italian economy is in Russia. Take small Russian blocker armies, move large German forces in to reinforce. In this way, Italy does the heavy lifting and losing of casualties while building a nice economic base; Germany gets to keep precious infantry alive, and has immediate places to land aircraft to make newly taken Italian holdings not able to be counterattacked.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m