• I think Japan is hard to discus because there are so many ifs. The only buys I can guarantee on J1 would be a destroyer and a tank. I would only buy and IC in FIC if I thought I could go through India. Whether that is possible or not depends on the Allies. The Allies may chose to make a stand in Sinkiang instead. Or maybe Russia took a pounding in round 1 and needs its infantry elsewhere. And where did the UK go? Maybe it found other uses for its bomber and/or fighters.

My scenarios are reactions to very specific actions and results by the other players before J1 and during US1. I think I implied more rigidity in my actions in previous posts than I really have. If neither of the two scenarios I’ve discussed play out, then I think Japan needs to look at building transports and picking a route to Moscow. And I think we’ve only touched on the subjects of Japan taking Africa and the option of sending Japanese air units to Europe. But again, I think those options are simply reactions.

If I have any philosophy for the game, it’s this: Position my forces to fight the enemy where and when I chose. Make the enemy react to me, and make tactical decisions based on strategic goals. Don’t fight battles that I can’t win, or gamble where a loss guarantees the likely loss of the game. And pray everything doesn’t go to s&!t with bad dice :-)

• @Hobbes:

Regarding the 2 ICs, I just faced Japan using that strat on a 7 Powers game last night, placed on FIC/Kwantung.

Japan didn’t attack SZ52 on its first round, so the US invaded the Solomons and placed a 2nd carrier on the water. The Japanese replied by building armor for the mainland and subs against the US.

For rounds 2 and 3 the US played cat and mouse while making sure that Australia didn’t fall to Japan by sending fighters and also investing on subs. The turning point on the Pacific was the sinking of a Japanese Battleship and its single transport by a lucky attack made by 2 US subs. From that moment on the US gained the advantage in numbers on the Pacific… my opponent then conceded on turn 5 because Germany couldn’t break the Caucasus defense nor advance into WR.

The revealing part was how 1 of the mainland ICs was essentially useless because there was no money for it.

Skipping SZ52 is a mistake to me. Also having a solo BB and transport seems like a mistake, but I guess it’s hard to judge without seeing the game.

• @MtnGoatJoe:

The only buys I can guarantee on J1 would be a destroyer and a tank

What do you use the tank for?

• @Bunnies:

@MtnGoatJoe:

The only buys I can guarantee on J1 would be a destroyer and a tank

What do you use the tank for?

Don’t mind me. One of my failed New Year Resolutions is to not deal in absolutes.

• @MtnGoatJoe:

Don’t mind me. One of my failed New Year Resolutions is to not deal in absolutes.
    . . . (signature follows) The Perfect Axis & Allies Strategy: Position your forces to fight the enemy where and when you choose. Make the enemy react to you, and make tactical decisions based on strategic goals. Don’t fight battles that you can’t win, or gamble where a loss guarantees the likely loss of the war. And pray everything doesn’t go to s&!t with bad dice!

:roll:

1.  You used the tank for something.  What was that?
    2.  Re:  Your Siggy:  Bleahhahahaggahhh!

A.  You can’t fight the enemy “where and when you choose”, or I’d choose to hit Berlin on R1 and end the game.  Do what is appropriate.

B.  “Make the enemy react to you” is more of that empty talk people use to sound impressive.  If your opponent left an opening for you to exploit, you SHOULD react to that and exploit that opening.  That is, you should be smart, not dumb.  If you mean “make your enemy act stupidly”, I’d like to know exactly how you’re gonna do that.

C.  Saying “make tactical decisions based on strategic goals” is more emptiness.  Tactics are one thing, strategy another.  Or are you saying you should base your strategy independent of knowledge of tactics?

D.  If a battle was really pointless, then doing it would be stupid, so what is this about fighting battles you can’t win?  I’d say if a battle looks to be poor odds, but the gains are great, you may or may not choose to engage depending on the position.

E.  There are appropriate times and places for gambling.  If you have a 35% chance on Berlin, with Moscow about to fall, and Japan about to land fighters in Berlin plus German control of Africa feeding infantry production cutting Allied chances of taking Berlin to 20% the following round (and less on later turns as Japanese tanks rush forwards), you SHOULD TAKE THE GAMBLE OBVIOUSLY!  If it’s the best chance you have, you SHOULD TAKE IT, GEEZ!

F.  To sum it up, the proper strategy is to THINK and LEARN.  (Learning makes proper thinking easier).

G.  What is this whole fixation on this “enemy”?  My only enemies are those that grab the last pork bun.  :x  Those people have to die.  But you should play with FRIENDS, ya, people that will help you learn and grow and all that nurturing stuff.  Call them opponents.  “Enemy” is just too . . . evil sounding.  :evil:

• Bunnies,

It was meant to be toung-in-cheek. But the way you say it, it’s not so funny. Remember, it’s just a game. The thing I like about this forum is that I learn a lot from folks such as yourself. And one of the things I’ve learned is that there are some scenarios where I wouldn’t need a tank on J1. There are a lot of times when it would be appropriate, but, not every time. I stand by my destroyer purchase.

And you’re right about the kinds of people who spout my “philosophy”. I’ve listened to that shit for 20 years. Anyway, sorry it came across the wrong way. Several jackasses were the inspiration when I wrote it, and I thought it was funny.

• '12

It’s easier to type enemy then friend, one less keystroke in my books.  Has political correctness crept in?  It’s ok for the “Person who is playing against me” to be called the enemy.  I have been called far worse than “Enemy” by people who I would trust my life to, in particular when I down 3 out of 4 planes with AA shots!

• Alright, my roommate and I just had another game with what I would called excellent Russian and US play(I was playing axis), and two IC’s were still ultimately unstoppable. Russia traded ground for a while, but in the end Japan couldn’t be held back. US devoted enough Navy to get in and take an undefended Indonesia and build an IC on it, but was retaken by Japan a couple turns later. I need to have a play by forum game against a really good allied player to show me this can really be stopped (without completely ignoring Germany). Hobbes you in?

• I wouldn’t say I’m “a really good allied player” but I am one you haven’t played, yet.  I’ll give it a go.

I’m free mornings US time.

• @Mr.Biggg:

Alright, my roommate and I just had another game with what I would called excellent Russian and US play(I was playing axis), and two IC’s were still ultimately unstoppable. Russia traded ground for a while, but in the end Japan couldn’t be held back. US devoted enough Navy to get in and take an undefended Indonesia and build an IC on it, but was retaken by Japan a couple turns later. I need to have a play by forum game against a really good allied player to show me this can really be stopped (without completely ignoring Germany). Hobbes you in?

No play by forum for me. Sorry.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m