• Can someone lay out a situation where a damaged carrier would have cargo?  To me it seems that the fighters on board will defend, and then once they cannot land back on the damaged carrier.  Thanks for the help.

• mmm… a submarine attacking a carrier?

and an attacking carrier (as part of a larger fleet) with allied planes on board

• Ok I see with the attacking force and allied planes.

But aren’t the fighters assumed to be in the air on defense, even though they are not directly participating in combat?

• @OctavianNT:

Ok I see with the attacking force and allied planes.

But aren’t the fighters assumed to be in the air on defense, even though they are not directly participating in combat?

i’m not sure about that, but it would seem not logical, since the carrier cannot see the sub coming until after it fires. Still, not logical doesn’t man it isn’t in the rules…
    will need a 2nd opinion on that.

• If a CV is defending against subs, the planes are not cargo; if the CV is damaged or sunk, the planes have to land 0 or 1 space away or they die

• @calvinhobbesliker:

If a CV is defending against subs, the planes are not cargo; if the CV is damaged or sunk, the planes have to land 0 or 1 space away or they die

And to further add…

During defense planes are always considered in the air.  The ONLY time that a plane is considered cargo is using the carrier to attack and it is a friendly power’s plane on the carrier.  No matter the condition, at any other time, no matter what is attacking the carrier (subs, navy, air, whatever), the planes are in the air.  So the ONLY way to get a plane stuck as cargo is to attack with the carrier and soak a hit with the carrier.

• No rest for those poor pilots, ey?

• Above is precisely the situation I was confused on.  However, my understanding now is that the above situation is impossible, as the carrier was damaged and the German fighters cannot land on it.  My understanding is that the only time a carrier will ever have cargo is if it is another power’s plane.

• I don’t think you have it quite correct.

In the circumstance you describe, taking a hit on the carrier would result in the aircraft being unable to land on the carrier.  Therefore the damaged carrier would not have aircraft on board.

The circumstance I would expect to see aircraft stranded on a carrier, since they could not take off, is when allied planes are being transported on a carrier.  These planes would not take off to defend the carrier according to the rules, but since they do not have to “land” they could be on a carrier when it is damaged.

• Official Q&A

The only way a plane can become trapped on a carrier is if the carrier is attacking with a guest plane (belonging to an ally) on board (cargo) and it is damaged.  Defending carrier planes are always defending in the air (and thus cannot be trapped), unless they were already trapped on board a damaged carrier that was attacked.

• 2007 AAR League

I’m still a little confused.  If the carrier is attacked, and the carrier is damaged, are the planes prevented from landing back on the carrier and thus must find a safe landing zone with in 1 space of the sea zone or be destroyed?

• @Emperor:

I’m still a little confused.  If the carrier is attacked, and the carrier is damaged, are the planes prevented from landing back on the carrier and thus must find a safe landing zone with in 1 space of the sea zone or be destroyed?

yes

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m