• Guys I have been reading these posts for awhile and I am getting tired of people whining about possible Europe 40 glitches…Yes I agree that pacific is broken but can you honestly say that playtesters didnt see the UK attack on Italy or the RN getting destroyed first turn? Even the Sealion?? In the Rulebook It states that Sealion is a very concievable option and LH did that on purpose. If you can find that it is broken just by playing it for a day then we have so little faith in the developers as possible. I personnally love this game and think that it was designed beautifully. I know that not all of you are whining and I know that Im newer to the boards so go ahead and rip me a new one. But stop trying to find the “faults” to the game… LH is smarter than you think

• @Sloan:

Guys I have been reading these posts for awhile and I am getting tired of people whining about possible Europe 40 glitches…Yes I agree that pacific is broken but can you honestly say that playtesters didnt see the UK attack on Italy or the RN getting destroyed first turn? Even the Sealion?? In the Rulebook It states that Sealion is a very concievable option and LH did that on purpose. If you can find that it is broken just by playing it for a day then we have so little faith in the developers as possible. I personnally love this game and think that it was designed beautifully. I know that not all of you are whining and I know that Im newer to the boards so go ahead and rip me a new one. But stop trying to find the “faults” to the game… LH is smarter than you think

I like this guy!

• @mwindianapolis:

@Sloan:

Guys I have been reading these posts for awhile and I am getting tired of people whining about possible Europe 40 glitches…Yes I agree that pacific is broken but can you honestly say that playtesters didnt see the UK attack on Italy or the RN getting destroyed first turn? Even the Sealion?? In the Rulebook It states that Sealion is a very concievable option and LH did that on purpose. If you can find that it is broken just by playing it for a day then we have so little faith in the developers as possible. I personnally love this game and think that it was designed beautifully. I know that not all of you are whining and I know that Im newer to the boards so go ahead and rip me a new one. But stop trying to find the “faults” to the game… LH is smarter than you think

I like this guy!

me too!

• @Sloan:

I have not yet finished a game of G40. So I will not yet post an opinion. But all of this is Larry and his own playtesters fault. Pacific1940’s awesome potential and abysmal failure has changed people’s policy of “innocent until proven guilty” to “guilty until proven innocent”. Until people think that the game is a success, they will think of it as a failure. And I agree. I would go so far as to say “seriously?” to people who complain about complainers. Aka you. We’re all trying to make the game better, and although some people will be content to sit back and bleat that “everything is good and perfect” I am not one of those people. And until I see a perfect game, I will continue to critique.

• @The:

@Sloan:

I have not yet finished a game of G40. So I will not yet post an opinion. But all of this is Larry and his own playtesters fault. Pacific1940’s awesome potential and abysmal failure has changed people’s policy of “innocent until proven guilty” to “guilty until proven innocent”. Until people think that the game is a success, they will think of it as a failure. And I agree. I would go so far as to say “seriously?” to people who complain about complainers. Aka you. We’re all trying to make the game better, and although some people will be content to sit back and bleat that “everything is good and perfect” I am not one of those people. And until I see a perfect game, I will continue to critique.

Two reasons P40 is broken: J1 attack and J3 India Crush. As Larry explained, J3 is not something one would see right away. It requires careful planning and maneuver. J1 attack initially looked fine since the US gets its money early, but was found to be broken with the Major IC in Singapore. The strat for J1 attack also required maneuver and thought. This is in stark contrast to the Taranto raid, which is obvious. Playtesters are more likely to not see P40 broken strats than Taranto raid

• i don’t agree that P40 is broken. I haven’t played that many times yet (i played both sides though), but not 1 time has Japan really won in our playing group.

In the long run the allies always came back, sometimes they won (thanks to cunning combined tactics and/or a few japanese mistakes), and we also had some stalemates (japan having all the mainland but lost all naval force, while USA dominated all the seas, with Japan getting 1 VC short). Yes India falls, so what? that doesn’t mean japan has won. It can be even useful for the USA (capturing UK territory becoming american). Even though Japan might have more chances to win, doesn’t mean the game would be broken. just harder for the allies (who really have to synchronise and cooperate at their maximum potential)
    I really think some people give up too fast.

As for Europe 40 (and global), it is too soon for me to have any opinion about it.

• It is more difficult for new players to play japan, heck the axis, in either game.

Just takes a bit to be able to either see how things will unfold or experience to know how the game plays.

In P40 when our less experienced players get japan its a slow inevitable allied push. Put up a message board junkie and i am trying crazy things to knock J1 off its ladder

• Guys I have been reading these posts for awhile and I am getting tired of people whining about possible Europe 40 glitches…Yes I agree that pacific is broken but can you honestly say that playtesters didnt see the UK attack on Italy or the RN getting destroyed first turn? Even the Sealion?? In the Rulebook It states that Sealion is a very concievable option and LH did that on purpose. If you can find that it is broken just by playing it for a day then we have so little faith in the developers as possible. I personnally love this game and think that it was designed beautifully. I know that not all of you are whining and I know that Im newer to the boards so go ahead and rip me a new one. But stop trying to find the “faults” to the game… LH is smarter than you think

Finally! Thank you for bringing some sense here!

• I think that the problem with a J3 India crush is the only way that the allies can come back before Japan takes Sydney is by lucky dice. At least that is what I have heard from people that play the game extensively. Heck even Larry has said that the game is set up to where the Japan player is a fool not to attack on the first turn, though he did not mean for it to be that way. But I think the combined game with those 18 Russian infantry will give that crucial turn or two difference that the US needs to get a huge force over to Australia to thwart Japan’s plans of invasion. At least that is what it seems like.

• I am waiting to see if Japan avoids attacking on J1 with most players in the Global game vs the Pacific alone.

Germany and Italy need some breathing room in Europe.

• @The:

@Sloan:

I think Larry’s been proven innocent at this point. Or, have you not seen the colossal post on his forum where he personally discusses proposals of fixing Pacific?

Actually, I think he made a thread there that states the intended changes he wants us to test.

• We have played a few games of Europe and Global now and i do not have any reason to thing Europe is broken. The Tarantoraid does not Break the game, its just one of options the UK has in its first turn. The UK might also want to destroy the German fleet or build up a fleet somewhere where its safe (as the Carrier will most likely die in either I1 or G2 depending on where you moved it after the Taranto raid).

In Global there is a problem with i wrote about somewhere quite some time ago and that is the missmatch in scales of the two games. Most significante is that 3-4 UK planes can fly from India Africa/the Med in UK1 giving them a massive advantage over the Italians (mainly making it impossible for them to invade Egypt in I1 without loosing the rest of their fleet on UK2). I think the steps of scaling down the number of planes Larry is talking about will help this. Removing 1 fig from India will help this. There is still 3 planes that can reach tho, i would consider moving one fig from India to Malay in the setup. This would mean only 2 planes can go to Africa in UK1.

• " Larry is smarter than you are"?
    dont agree with that statement. Not to take anything away from Larry. He is the original inventor, but many rules and concepts introduced in AAG40 have been being used for like 10yrs already by players on this forum including myself. Some like Deathhead and IL have desigened their own games that rival or maybe even exceed AAG40 in many ways. I myself have written an “advanced” rulebook for AA that has rules and concepts that i have used and playtested for years that just have begun to be introduced in AA50 and AAG40.
    So, no Larry is not smarter than us, just better at marketing. think about this, we on this forum do this for a hobby, Larry does this for a living with a test player support group “advisors”. Who does he go to when he needs his games fixed?

• @special:

In the long run the allies always came back, sometimes they won (thanks to cunning combined tactics and/or a few japanese mistakes), and we also had some stalemates (japan having all the mainland but lost all naval force, while USA dominated all the seas, with Japan getting 1 VC short). Yes India falls, so what? that doesn’t mean japan has won. It can be even useful for the USA (capturing UK territory becoming american). Even though Japan might have more chances to win, doesn’t mean the game would be broken. just harder for the allies (who really have to synchronise and cooperate at their maximum potential)

USA can’t capture British territories if the British capitol is taken.

• @Tavenier:

@special:

USA can’t capture British territories if the British capitol is taken.

It can if British territories have been captured by Japan

• @UN:

@The:

@Sloan:

I think Larry’s been proven innocent at this point. Or, have you not seen the colossal post on his forum where he personally discusses proposals of fixing Pacific?

Actually, I think he made a thread there that states the intended changes he wants us to test.

More like he’s been proven guilty and is now “doing time” to fix the game. And yes I have seen that post. But I think that there would be a lot less “play-testing” if we were a little more historically accurate. In case nobody has realized it, the game has already been play tested. For like 5 years in fact, during WW2. They should research exact historical setups, and then add to the axis armies to make it fair.

• @The:

@UN:

@The:

@Sloan:

More like he’s been proven guilty and is now “doing time” to fix the game. And yes I have seen that post. But I think that there would be a lot less “play-testing” if we were a little more historically accurate. In case nobody has realized it, the game has already been play tested. For like 5 years in fact, during WW2. They should research exact historical setups, and then add to the axis armies to make it fair.

In real life, there’d be a limit on how many infantry a nation could produce, different stats for different countries’ units and different resourses.

• Hello guys/gals.

I’d like to give some of my opinion if it’s cool.

I have only played the global game once…… today.  I have played the Pacific game 5 times by itself and I have never played the Europe game by itself.

I don’t think there’s any problems with the Pacific game.  It is a little hairy with extra movements from bases and such, but overall I find the game to be balanced enough.  I have read a lot of guys complaining that you can be knocked out in the first round etc… with the Europe game, but it’s a dice game.  The guy who has the best strategy and better pieces isn’t even the guy who wins.  It’s the guy who consistently rolls 1s and 2s that wins.  We can kid ourselves all day that we’re master tacticians and have all these great plans, but the dice have always, and will always decide the winner.  I like how Italy has a little beef, but not enough to kick serious ass right away.  Given great dice, the UK will be hurt badly in the Med and North Africa.

Anyway I really do like the game the way it is.  I have not played it as much as many of you guys but so far my impressions are that of it being a great game.  I just don’t think it’s fair to place blame or insult to a games initial setup design when the dice are what sways the outcome on any given day.  Right?  Anyone with me?

Nice to meet you guys.  I’m new here.  I have been playing Axis games since 96.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m