Picture of US & Sea Zones together, West meets East

• You silly Canucks….

• Looks like most of the Canadians here have no clue what Calvin is talking about whenever he says anything… :roll:

• Clearly these 2 Canadians are younger and argue over small irrelevant topics. We as Canadians are finally recognised on the board, it doesn’t matter how largely we are represented, just that we are there at all. Be grateful.  :wink:

• Did this thread just went off topic straight from post # 2?

Thankns topic starter, I will defi use that image as reference aswell.

• the position of it with a naval base shows the historical importance of Halifax, Nova Scotia and its distance in relation to Europe.

I have met plenty of old timers who sailed in supply convoys from that port during the war.  It may happen in the game as well.

• Thanks for the recognition Woodstock and I’m glad to see the thread get back on topic.  I have another thread about Canada “Nova Scotia to Quebec via US?”  I made it after I noticed that you could not go form one Canadian territory to the other without going though Eastern US; it didn’t seem right.  Krieghund is still looking into this.

I bring this up because after looking at the combined East/West Map it has me asking another question about boarders.  Dose anyone know if Central United State was intended to boarder Alberta on the Western tip of Lake Superior?  I would think it doesn’t, but it could go either way.  Anyone know?  Kreighund?

• Official Q&A

@GrayBlaZe:

Dose anyone know if Central United State was intended to boarder Alberta on the Western tip of Lake Superior?

No, it doesn’t.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Why is Quebec nor “real Canada”? The first settlement of Canada was by the French in Quebec

Technically, L’Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland would be the first settlement.  It dates from around 1000 CE/AD and was a Norse settlement.

After that there was the Sieur des Mons / Samuel de Champlain expedition that first settled on St. Croix Island in 1604 (on the St. Croix River which forms part of the border between present day Maine and New Brunswick). The next year (1605), they settled at Port Royal in Nova Scotia.  It wasn’t until 1608 that Quebec City was founded which is regarded as the first “permanent” settlement.

Of course, there is some argument that St. John’s in Newfoundland was discovered by John Cabot in 1497.  though it only held City status as of about 1620 (which would be after Quebec City and Cuper’s Cove / Cupids (1610) also in Newfoundland.

(And, of course, that doesn’t count Native American settlements)

In A&A related news - can’t wait for Europe 1940 to come out so I can get a Global game going. :D

Also, both Halifax (Nova Scotia) and St. John’s (Newfoundland) were staging points for convoys headed to England in the Second World War.

• @Spade632:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Why is Quebec nor “real Canada”? The first settlement of Canada was by the French in Quebec

Technically, L’Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland would be the first settlement.  It dates from around 1000 CE/AD and was a Norse settlement.

After that there was the Sieur des Mons / Samuel de Champlain expedition that first settled on St. Croix Island in 1604 (on the St. Croix River which forms part of the border between present day Maine and New Brunswick). The next year (1605), they settled at Port Royal in Nova Scotia.  It wasn’t until 1608 that Quebec City was founded which is regarded as the first “permanent” settlement.

Of course, there is some argument that St. John’s in Newfoundland was discovered by John Cabot in 1497.  though it only held City status as of about 1620 (which would be after Quebec City and Cuper’s Cove / Cupids (1610) also in Newfoundland.

In A&A related news - can’t wait for Europe 1940 to come out so I can get a Global game going. :D

Also, both Halifax (Nova Scotia) and St. John’s (Newfoundland) were staging points for convoys headed to England in the Second World War.

I thought the vikings were like pirates. They just destroyed the land and took the booty and go.

• @Dylan:

@Spade632:

@calvinhobbesliker:

I thought the vikings were like pirates. They just destroyed the land and took the booty and go.

Vikings were pirates, but not all the norseman were vikings. After few succesful raids in England, the norseman captured York and other tactical places of south England. Their real objective wasn’t the England, it was the France. For this reason from England they attacked what today is called “Normandy”. The King of France talked with the norseman attacking and said: "if you don’t fight and become a vassal of France, and accept the Christian religion, I will give you “normandy” for free.

In fact, the Normans, were “Franchesized” Norsemans.

Around 1000 AC norseman expeditions colonized Iceland, Greenland and Vinland (<– Canada). Unfortunately the Colony in Canada wasn’t supported enough to survive, and the natives killed them all.

• Well from what I know we still are not sure what exactly happened to the colonies here in America, and we still aren’t 100% sure that they actually made it this far, they might have just gone to Greenland and that was that.

• Actually they really found the norse colonies ruins in america :)
    It’s proven, but still, the official date of america discovery is 1492, because before that it was kept “secret”.

• @i:

the prarie provinses should be worth 1 maybe 2ipcs
    ontario should be worth 3ipcs
    bc should be worth 1 or 2ipcs
    martime provinces should be worth 1.5ipcs
    quebec should be worth 2.5 ipcs

Being a Canadian who knows a little something of our history, I would like to say no. Were we important? Hell yes, pilots spies, special forces and not to mention our soldiers and the navy we used to put the hurt on Germany with did loads. But as for material value, we were much lower. Yes we have lots of resources, but they were not as important as some may think. Food and supplies came from here because UK needed them, and too be honest our IPCs are mostly represented in those of the UK, as they were unable to supply most of what they needed for the war, so we shipped it over then they put it to use. THe few IPCs in Canada represent naval and army and air units we raised ourselves, which was quite impressive at over a million fighting men, was next to nothing when compared to other big powers. So my advice, my young friend, is build a minor IC in the maritimes and build detroyers out of it, and just think that there are loads of Canadians fighting, they are just in with the UK armies.

Also, to validate my point go visit Fredericton NB, my last home before i moved to quebec and see how much it has grown in 40 years, as durring the WW2 period, very little of it existed, a few blocks aroiund city hall and some farms, it was almost all woods. This was common of Canada in the period, and durring WW2 we only had 11 million people, and only due to immigration from other nations have we reached our current population, which is still less than 10% of the US.

As for any other country like holland, etc being powers, no, as they will just stretch resources as has been mentioned, and in reality gave little to the war in most cases or just became part of the larger war effort of their big neighbours. If you want to play small countries in WW2 get Hearts of Iron for the PC, and see how fun it is to be one of those nations next to germany.

• @Noll:

Actually they really found the norse colonies ruins in america :)
    It’s proven, but still, the official date of america discovery is 1492, because before that it was kept “secret”.

That is news to me, I wonder if people are still looking for Chinese ruins because there have been theories that they made it to N. America before anyone else. I honestly don’t know why we still think 1492 was the discovering of the Americas, considering that people have been on this continent for thousands of years.

• [BIG OT!]

@maverick_76:

@Noll:

Actually they really found the norse colonies ruins in america :)

That is news to me, I wonder if people are still looking for Chinese ruins because there have been theories that they made it to N. America before anyone else. I honestly don’t know why we still think 1492 was the discovering of the Americas, considering that people have been on this continent for thousands of years.

Technically 1492 is the discovery of the America from the Euro countries.

This is the itinerary of the norsemen travels

@Wikipedia:

The Norse colonization of the Americas began as early as the 10th century, when Norse sailors (often referred to as Vikings) explored and settled areas of the North Atlantic, including the northeastern fringes of North America.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_colonization_of_the_Americas

Ruins of norseman colony in North America:

The Norse Discovery of America, support arguments and history evidence: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/nda/index.htm

Norse Artifacts in North America: http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/society/text/other_artifacts.htm

[/BIG OT!]

:)

Oh, I’m not from any North Europe countries, I’m from Italy! :D

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@maverick_76:

Vee aaar Quebec! And vee are Fhhrecchhh Canaiiidion!

Nous sommes Québec. Et nous sommes canadiens français.

There’z no Canada like French Canada, it’z za bezt Canada in ze land.
    Ze ozer Canada is hardly Canada. If you lived here for a day, you’d understand.

• @Krieghund:

@GrayBlaZe:

Dose anyone know if Central United State was intended to boarder Alberta on the Western tip of Lake Superior?

No, it doesn’t.

Does New Brunswich/Nova Scotia border Quebec?

Also, I take it that central USA only borders western and eastern USA? And east Mexico of course.

• Mexico isn’t worth 3 now, much less back in the 1940s

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m