Hardcore Axis Player, I have a lot of questions

• @Buster27:

Fleetwood,

Thanks for the description… it’s a good move.  I usually attack on G2 but it’s a tougher fight at that time.

Not attacking Egypt on G1 is missing a window of opportunity for G to take Egypt and keep the fleet alive for 1 or 2 more turns. With 2 inf, 2 arm and 1 fighter from Balkans the Germans have 87% odds of winning.
    If you don’t attack the UK can attack the Germans on Libya (unless you disembarked 2 units to Libya it but in that case the German fleet can be sunk on UK1). Or the UK can move the DD to SZ14 to prevent an amphibious landing on Egypt (if the G fleet has moved to SZ13 to take Gibraltar) while fortifying it with up to 2-4 inf, 1 arm, 2 ftrs and 1 bomber (you can guess what happens to the German fleet on UK2)

EDIT: corrected mediterranean SZ number.

• '16 '15 '10

Exactly.  If there isn’t an attack on Egypt, how does the Med fleet survive UK1?  UK would have a dd, fig and bomber at its disposal to attack with.

• @Hobbes:

@Buster27:

Fleetwood,

Thanks for the description… it’s a good move.  I usually attack on G2 but it’s a tougher fight at that time.

Not attacking Egypt on G1 is missing a window of opportunity for G to take Egypt and keep the fleet alive for 1 or 2 more turns. With 2 inf, 2 arm and 1 fighter from Balkans the Germans have 87% odds of winning.
    If you don’t attack the UK can attack the Germans on Libya (unless you disembarked 2 units to Libya it but in that case the German fleet can be sunk on UK1). Or the UK can move the DD to SZ6 to prevent an amphibious landing on Egypt while fortifying it with up to 2-4 inf, 1 arm, 2 ftrs and 1 bomber (you can guess what happens to the German fleet on UK2)

Uh oh… I’m sensing that my buddy and I have got some rules wrong.  The way we have been playing it is impossible to amphibiously attack (or drop troops upon) egypt on G1 as the destroyer is blocking the sea zone and must be destroyed first.  If I had another infantry and tank the fight would be a breeze.  So it’s possible to move the transport and battleship into that sea zone and have only the battleship participate in the destroyer fight and then you can drop the troops from the transport onto egypt in a subsequent amphibious landing in the same combat round?  If so we have had this wrong…

• @Buster27:

@Hobbes:

@Buster27:

Fleetwood,

Thanks for the description… it’s a good move.  I usually attack on G2 but it’s a tougher fight at that time.

If you don’t attack the UK can attack the Germans on Libya (unless you disembarked 2 units to Libya it but in that case the German fleet can be sunk on UK1). Or the UK can move the DD to SZ6 to prevent an amphibious landing on Egypt while fortifying it with up to 2-4 inf, 1 arm, 2 ftrs and 1 bomber (you can guess what happens to the German fleet on UK2)

Uh oh… I’m sensing that my buddy and I have got some rules wrong.  The way we have been playing it is impossible to amphibiously attack (or drop troops upon) egypt on G1 as the destroyer is blocking the sea zone and must be destroyed first.  If I had another infantry and tank the fight would be a breeze.  So it’s possible to move the transport and battleship into that sea zone and have only the battleship participate in the destroyer fight and then you can drop the troops from the transport onto egypt in a subsequent amphibious landing in the same combat round?  If so we have had this wrong…

Yes, you can do that, but it blocks bombardment

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Buster27:

@Hobbes:

@Buster27:

Fleetwood,

Yes, you can do that, but it blocks bombardment

Damn it, I was doing that (bombarding after the fight,) but I then just send the bomber instead I guess.

• @Dylan:

Damn it, I was doing that (bombarding after the fight,) but I then just send the bomber instead I guess.

You can send the bomber but just the 2 inf, 2 arm and 1 ftr give you 87% of winning Egypt on G1. I prefer to send the bomber instead to attack SZ2 .

• @Hobbes:

@Dylan:

You can send the bomber but just the 2 inf, 2 arm and 1 ftr give you 87% of winning Egypt on G1. I prefer to send the bomber instead to attack SZ2 .

I just (sometimes) send in the fighter from Norway, to kill the transport.

• @Dylan:

@Hobbes:

@Dylan:

In Z2?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@Hobbes:

@Dylan:

In Z2?

yeah.

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@Hobbes:

@Dylan:

In Z2?

yeah.

If you want to kill that transport, you have to kill the battleship first and have at least one attacking unit survive. So, sending just the fighter is unlikely to do the Axis any good.

• @Fleetwood:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@Hobbes:

@Dylan:

In Z2?

yeah.

If you want to kill that transport, you have to kill the battleship first and have at least one attacking unit survive. So, sending just the fighter is unlikely to do the Axis any good.

I know it sucks.

• That’s why you use the SS, ftr, and bomber

• @calvinhobbesliker:

That’s why you use the SS, ftr, and bomber

Would you do that.

• I would.

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

That’s why you use the SS, ftr, and bomber

Would you do that.

Yes

• '12

It is fairly typical for German to use the SS, Ftr and Bomber in Sz2.  If you do not, then you need to ensure you can hit Sz3 hard to keep the british fleet builds on Sz2 and to ensure all Brits builds are used just to defend the BB.  Fleetwood Dan did this to me as Germany in our second game and it totally screwed up my plans.  Dan, did the Russian build of a bomber on R1 cause you not to attack Sz2 in G1 for some reason?  If so, was the reason because it could hit Norway and perhaps the german fighter would be lost as you used those troops against Kar in G1 there would have been no defense for the surviving bomber?

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Dan, did the Russian build of a bomber on R1 cause you not to attack Sz2 in G1 for some reason?  If so, was the reason because it could hit Norway and perhaps the german fighter would be lost as you used those troops against Kar in G1 there would have been no defense for the surviving bomber?

No, it wasn’t the bomber build that stopped the attack on z2. For other readers, here’s the situation. R1 build is 4 inf, bomber. Russia takes West Russia with 7 inf, art, tank and takes Ukraine with art, 3 tanks. For the precise move: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19028.0
    In short, I wanted a Karelia stack on G1. Germany couldn’t afford to defend Norway if I did this. I would be more afraid of surviving German planes on Norway being attacked by the UK’s potential inf, tank, 2 fighters, and bomber. Realistically, if the German planes are naked, the Allies don’t need to commit so much. Also, the German destroyer to z3 could force the UK to peal off a plane from the ground attack. Any time a Russian plane dogfights an Axis plane on fairly even odds is a good day for the Axis. I’d invite that bomber versus fighter battle.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m