Difference between ABattlemap and TripleA? Which is better?

• I am new to these, so i apologize for my ignorance.

Which of these is better?

TripleA?

or

ABattlemap?

Which is easier to use?

I would like to play against the computer, so I can just play on my own free time.

Thanks all!

• TripleA is the better one, since it is a game, and not just a map.

But the TripleA AIs are nowhere near good enough to be playable against humans, and it won’t be until someone spends a few millions of $ in AI development, and even if that happens, I doubt very much that someone will be able to make a decent A&A AI before the year 5010…

• '16 '15 '10

There’s no competition.  TripleA is software that streamlines the game process and has tons of auxiliary features, making game play fast and easy.  There is an AI, but it’s not good for much except learning the game basics.  It’s best played live (on the live server) or via email (PBEM).

Battlemap is a map program where you execute the game mechanics yourself, save your map, and then email the map to your opponent.  It has an IPC and TUV counter, but that’s about it as features go.

• Also if you are doing PBEM use mapview not Abattlemap. Abattlemap is horrible. Its a bummer though that there is no mapview AA50 module

• @Zhukov44:

There’s no competition.  TripleA is software that streamlines the game process and has tons of auxiliary features, making game play fast and easy.  There is an AI, but it’s not good for much except learning the game basics.  It’s best played live (on the live server) or via email (PBEM).

Battlemap is a map program where you execute the game mechanics yourself, save your map, and then email the map to your opponent.  It has an IPC and TUV counter, but that’s about it as features go.

What’s TUV?

• Total
    Unit
    Value

• @Wilson2:

Also if you are doing PBEM use mapview not Abattlemap. Abattlemap is horrible. Its a bummer though that there is no mapview AA50 module

6 months late, but if anyone ever needs help putting a module together just let me know.

Mot

• @Subotai:

TripleA is the better one, since it is a game, and not just a map.

But the TripleA AIs are nowhere near good enough to be playable against humans, and it won’t be until someone spends a few millions of $ in AI development, and even if that happens, I doubt very much that someone will be able to make a decent A&A AI before the year 5010…

To answer the OP, my opinion is that TripleA is the way to go.

To Subotai - you really think so?  Hm.  Maybe I should try writing an AI . . .

• @Bunnies:

@Subotai:

TripleA is the better one, since it is a game, and not just a map.

To Subotai - you really think so?  Hm.  Maybe I should try writing an AI . . .

I don’t only think so, (on the abysmal AI) I know it! But 3000 years may be an exaggeration.

The problem is that there has, afaik, not been made an AI that is a very good in “itself”, meaning, all AI’s are just calculators doing calculating, like 1234567*1234567, the answer is much quicker solved using a calculator rather pen and paper, and my brain cant figure out such numbers w/o using a calculator or pen&paper anyway.

Chess AI’s are also only calculators, although the algorithm is different than the simple calculator that comes with the linux version I’m using.
    I look forward to more people trying to make a good AI, it will fun to prove that an A&A AI will not be nearly as competitive against humans as chess AIs, and that is only b/c the number of possible positions are extremely much higher than in chess. If chess had 128 or 256 “territories” and 64 pieces/units instead of 64 TTs and 32 units, the current chess programs would also be weaker compared to humans than they are now.

• Playing chess, you may move a single piece, in which case there may be four or five likely counters, to which you may have three or four counters, in which there may be two or three counters, and so forth.  Even then, some of those counters may not directly involve the piece you moved, but other pieces elsewhere on the board.  What this means is that you may gain an advantage now only to lose that advantage five or six moves down the line.

Properly speaking, of course, you never gained an advantage in the first place.  You only THOUGHT you gained that advantage; had you calculated correctly, you would have realized there was no advantage there in the first place.

Playing Axis and Allies, you know pretty fast whether you screwed up or not.  If you lost a lot of IPCs worth of units, you had better have a pretty immediate counter.  If you can’t counter immediately, your opponent can reposition his/her units, and if you didn’t have an opportunity to exploit before, you almost certainly won’t after your opponent moves.

That’s why programming an Axis and Allies AI should not be such a big deal.  I mean, yeah, it ain’t like a walk in the park.  But it sure shouldn’t be some kinda task that requires a few millions of dollars in AI research and development.

It’s like saying Marisa Miller farts flowers.  Like, she is awesome and hardworking and all, but let’s not go overboard eh?

If it’s so easy why don’t I do it?

I can write algorithms, but I can’t code them.  Heh heh.  :wink:

• Free software , free server for battle via internet, fast thinking playable AI, and non-stop development by software team,  all of these let me say Triple A is the best AA relative software I seen

although someone said the AI of TripleA is not very well at all (at least the AI  is much better than that of other AA sorftware, eg. Hasbro Axis and Allies), it save lots of time when you are playing with humans, and the mistake made by AI partners make the game much challenging when playing solo …

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m