what was the Greatest (as far as Grandest) battle….

also battle that IYO was the greatest battle for both sides…

• the Battle of Pelennor Fields and the Battle of 5 Armies, and maybe the Battle of Helms Deep as well. :wink:

• Care to expalin these in a bit more detail, or point to sites where? (Battle of Pelennor Fields and the Battle of 5 Armies)

• Battle of the Somme in WWI had something like 70 000 dead British in day.

• @TG:

Care to expalin these in a bit more detail, or point to sites where? (Battle of Pelennor Fields and the Battle of 5 Armies)

Ohhhh Moses.
    Not the geek i took you for.
    Battle of 5 armies was The Hobbit.
    Pelennor fields - similar Tolkenesque novel.

• CC, I am disgusted by this lack of knowledge. “similar tolkeinesque novel”???

It was the Return of the King, the final book in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. (I know, I know. everyone has an obsession, this is mine)

• I read the Hobbit, but none of their battles seemed compelling or very interesting to me… at least not in epic scope.

• From actual history, I would say Kursk, I forget the statistics of that battle but it was the largest tank battle in history.

AFA fictional battles, I just blanked out on those, but if you’re going with Tolkien, in the Silmarillion there’s a battle where an entire continent gets destroyed. Of course, there were gods involved, but…

• @Janus1:

CC, I am disgusted by this lack of knowledge. “similar tolkeinesque novel”???

It was the Return of the King, the final book in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. (I know, I know. everyone has an obsession, this is mine)

yeah yeah. i’d forgotten the actual “name” of that battle and figured it was the original one.
    sorry.
    (at least i got 5 armies one)

• Well it would be idiotic for someone not to mention Stanlingrad here. Did more to change the course of modern history than I know of. Also, kudos to the Russians again for Leningrad - the seige that lasted for over 900 Days.

• @TG:

Well it would be idiotic for someone not to mention Stanlingrad here. Did more to change the course of modern history than I know of. Also, kudos to the Russians again for Leningrad - the seige that lasted for over 900 Days.

ahhh
    i’ve withstood longer . . . .

• Battle of Cowpens. Daniel Morgan trapped by the British, his men tired and unsupplied. In an old farmer’s field, Morgan stops his barely 900 men with just as many militia. The British regulars out number his entire column, including a fiercesome company of Colonel Tarlton’s deadly dragoons. By the end of the day, the Britsh army is in retreat, and the begining of the end to the Revolutionary war is set.

• You just gotta love Nathanael Greene. The Germans have their Desert Fox (Rommel), but we have our Swamp Fox. 8)

I’d have to say Stalingrad…

• i take by grandest you mean scale? because otherwise, its no contest going to be one of the modern battles of the recent Iraq war, desert storm, etc. the battles there were swift and decisive. if you mean scale however, Im going to go with Agincourt (sp?)

@Janus1:

i take by grandest you mean scale? because otherwise, its no contest going to be one of the modern battles of the recent Iraq war, desert storm, etc. the battles there were swift and decisive. if you mean scale however, Im going to go with Agincourt (sp?)

scale…yes…but amzing, yes :wink: …either or…

• Actully on the History channel on the Most, it was the Battle of Berlin, although it didnt last that long, the amount of forces and preperation for it was HUGE!!! it was straight fighting from Poland all the way to the Reichstag. i say Berlin for Grandest Battle.

• I dunno… the Battle of Berlin lasted quite a while if you ask me. :)

• 1-Crecy (hundred years war)
    2-Stalingrad
    3-Kursk
    4-Midway
    5-Saratoga (US War of Independence).
    6-First Bull Run (US Civil War)
    7-Gettysburg (ditto)
    8-Canae (Punic Wars)
    9-Somme (WW1)
    10-Waterloo (Napoleonic Wars)

This List isn’t in order just 10 off the top of my head.

• real history:

Normandy
    Midway
    Okinawa

Fantasy:

Alderran (talk about a smackdown!)
    Yavin
    Endor (damn those teddy-bears!)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics