• How could Alderran be considered a battle? :roll:

• fantasy wise, im still goin with Pelennor Fields, that was crazy. Think hundreds of thousands of medieval style men, orcs, trolls, and some elves and dwarves layin the smackdown on eachother, with a wizard, an undead army, and Ringwraiths (crazy enemies). that would have been crazy

• Janus ain’t kidding. Seen The Two Towers? Pelennor Fields is 10x bigger than that. Rohan and Isenguard were nothing compared to Gondor and Mordor.

I may be biased, but I think the best fantasy battle of all time was in the book Dragons of the Winter Night, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. A small force of 50 knights armed with Dragonlances (Big pointy shiny things which kill Evil Dragons pretty damn well) defend the last bastion of freedom on the continent from the Evil army. It ends with the heroic death of Sturm Brightblade, killed by his childhood friend, former lover, and leader of the Dragonarmy, Kitara uth Matar.

• For Fantasy Battles, you really have to read the Silmarillion (sp?)…

all the battles of the Lord of the Ring are just peanuts compared to that…
    having several dragons and Balrogs fielded… and the death of one Dragon flattening (or was it creating, when it dropped dead to the ground) an entire mountain range… that is grand scale :)

• Janus ain’t kidding. Seen The Two Towers? Pelennor Fields is 10x bigger than that. Rohan and Isenguard were nothing compared to Gondor and Mordor.

I may be biased, but I think the best fantasy battle of all time was in the book Dragons of the Winter Night, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. A small force of 50 knights armed with Dragonlances (Big pointy shiny things which kill Evil Dragons pretty damn well) defend the last bastion of freedom on the continent from the Evil army. It ends with the heroic death of Sturm Brightblade, killed by his childhood friend, former lover, and leader of the Dragonarmy, Kitara uth Matar.

I dunno… I tend to dislike reading battles where a small force hold off against impossible odds against a much larger force… it just doesn’t very realistic to me. :wink:

• @TG:

Janus ain’t kidding. Seen The Two Towers? Pelennor Fields is 10x bigger than that. Rohan and Isenguard were nothing compared to Gondor and Mordor.

I dunno… I tend to dislike reading battles where a small force hold off against impossible odds against a much larger force… it just doesn’t very realistic to me. :wink:

unless its an army of organophosphate-armed men vs. a field of weeds . . . then i can see it ;)
    Or US navy seals vs and army of children armed with pebbles.
    oo oo - a lion army vs. an army of aging geriatric zebras . . .

• How could Alderran be considered a battle?

'cause it was sweet.

in regards to visual effects in movies, no air battle can contend with the angles and dogfights seen the the battle of Endor. watching all those snub-fighters dodge in and out of the capital ships while dodging turbolaser fire from +30 star destroyers was awsome. but for land battles, id have to agree with Yanny and Janus1, Plennor Fields is huge.

• Yeah, Endor I can agree with at least. There’s never been anything remotely close to it since - even with all the new technology of today. Watching that star fight never grows old. :wink:

• As long as we’re going with Star Wars, my new favorite is the Episode II battle-50 Jedis with lightsabers?!

For Fantasy Battles, you really have to read the Silmarillion (sp?)…

all the battles of the Lord of the Ring are just peanuts compared to that…
    having several dragons and Balrogs fielded… and the death of one Dragon flattening (or was it creating, when it dropped dead to the ground) an entire mountain range… that is grand scale

I don’t know-having gods involved is kind of cheating, isn’t it? :-? 8)

I dunno… I tend to dislike reading battles where a small force hold off against impossible odds against a much larger force… it just doesn’t very realistic to me.

Who cares about realism? All it needs is a small amount of plausibility. :wink:

• “ote: I dunno… I tend to dislike reading battles where a small force hold off against impossible odds against a much larger force… it just doesn’t very realistic to me.”

Read the book, it took a little divine intervention to win :)

• '19 Moderator

Well as far as history goes I think the battle of Hastings in 1066 probably had the largest long term effects.

As for fantasy Tolkien has always been my favorite, but I suppose anyone with a good imagination could come up with something better. :wink:

• falk, i have read the silmarillion. my memory is a little hazy. ive just remembered a battle that pretty much dwarfed all other battles. the fall of gondolin was one of the largest battles ever, where the last great elf kingdom fell. i dont remember this from the silmarillion, but im not remembering it fully

• Tg, I gota disagree

The Battle of Hastings was nothing compared to several ancient battles in history. The 13th and 14th (I believe) Legions of Rome falling to the german tribes, ending the subdueing movement against Germany, and creating a rift between the Romanized World and the Barbaric world. Had that battle not gone the way it did, Europe (and the world) would be so incredibly different, its hard to fathome.

• As long as we’re going with Star Wars, my new favorite is the Episode II battle-50 Jedis with lightsabers?!

im not that big on the new movies, while the 50 jedi’s were pretty cool, i still think the ensuing battle between closes and droids was cooler. watching the colors of the blaster fire light up the smoky haze was just awsome and all the arial bombardment was cool too. if you want hand to hand, yoda beating down on dooku was better than the arena battle

• @Janus1:

…the fall of gondolin was one of the largest battles ever, where the last great elf kingdom fell. …

It’s some time when i last read it, but i remember that there was another one i liked, when the elves actually rode against Morgoth, fighting on his grounds. I think they lost that battle because of the betrayal of two human tribes, or so….
    and when they piled up their dead afterwards, they created a new hill/mountain…

@Grigoriy:

I don’t know-having gods involved is kind of cheating, isn’t it? :-? 8)

that’s only in the first half, before the elves go into exile there… and at the end, when Morgoth is banned from the world.
    And after the Tolkien mythology, even Sauron and the Balrogs qualify as minor gods … as does Gandalf and the Istari :).

• Read the book, it took a little divine intervention to win

If the supernatural is involved… really, what’s the point?

• I’m not going to bother arguing right now, just keep listing cool battles as I think of them. That being said, siege of Constantinople, 1453! :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m