First turn Russia, an IC in Yakut.

• Thank you Ansbach for your reaction. I played again using my strategy and your German and Japan strategy. After that I had to come to a different conclusion then you. Post your thoughts, suggestions or comments on this strategy. I will be happy to read them.

Russia Turn 1 (R1):
    Use the strategy I have created and place an IC in Yakut.

Germany Turn 1 (G1):
    Use the strategy of Ansbach. One thing I want to point out don’t use the 2 Infantry (Use the Transport before the coast of Germany) from Germany. Because then you won’t be able to retreat and you will end up with 2 Tanks left in Karelia.

England Turn 1 (E1):

Non-Combat:

• move to Karelia
        2 Fighters from Britain

Japan Turn 1 (J1):
    Use the strategy of Ansbach.

America Turn 1 (A1):
    Use the strategy I have created and place an IC in Sinkiang.

Russia Turn 2 (R2):
    Reading Ansbach earlier post I read this sentence “Russian attack from Yakut on turn 2 would be suicide”, it was never my intention the fist Russian turns to attack for instance Manchuria. Use them defensive.

Attacks:

• attack Ukraine
        5 Infantry from Caucasus

Non-Combat:

• move to Ukraine
        4 Infantry from Karelia
      • move to Karelia
        2 Infantry from Russia

Deploying bought units:

• deploy 8 Infantry in Karelia

Germany Turn 2 (G2):
    The German forces will be forced to defend Eastern Europe because if do intend to attack Karelia they will lead heavy losses and the threat of being counter attacked. This is the same with Ukraine.

England Turn 2 (E2):
    Buy: 1 IC

Non-Combat:

• move to Sinkiang
        2 Infantry and 1 Fighter from India
      • move to India
        1 Infantry from Persia
      • move to India
        2 Infantry from Australia

Deploying bought units:

• deploy 1 IC in India

Japan Turn 2 (J2):
    Use the strategy of Ansbach.

America Turn 2 (A2):
    Because Germany needs to constantly reinforce the troops in Eastern Europe just to keep up with the Russian forces Eastern Europe will be weakly defended. So invade Western Europe using the support of your Fighters and Bomber.

Russia Turn 3 (R3):

Deploying bought units:

• deploy 2 Infantry in Yakut
    • remaining Infantry in Karelia

Germany Turn 3 (G3):
    Germany probably will counter attack the invasion of Western Europe. This will not give them an opportunity to send all their reinforcements to the Eastern front.

England Turn 3 (E3):
    Begin to reinforce Karelia with Infantry.

Deploying bought units:

• deploy 2 Infantry and 1 Tank in India

Japan Turn 3 (J3):
    According to Ansbach strategy the time is come for you to invade Yakut. Yakut will be taken with 4 Infantry left.

America Turn 3 (A3):
    Buy: 2 Infantry, Submarines

By now the Americans must follow the strategy I have posted earlier. So begin to invade Mongolia. Also if possible begin the invasion of Africa. The reason why I bought the Submarines is because they form a threat to Japanese Transport fleet. And therefore the Japanese planes will be busy with attacking the Submarines and will hardly form any support to the Japanese forces in Asia.

Deploying bought units:

• deploy 2 Infantry in Sinkiang

England Turn 4 (E4):
    Britain begins his sweep as early mentioned in the earlier post.

After this your opponent grimaces, closes his eyes, and thinks this just cost me the game and prompt he throws his dice across the room and into the wall - and he quickly realize that A&A is nothing like Risk after all… :D

• I think you are guilty of something we are all guilty of when we are working on a new strategy - there is a default tendancy to assume that our opponents will play exactly into our hands. You get excited about one specific strategy and you have tunnel vision focusing on that strategy.

For example:

America Turn 2 (A2):
    Because Germany needs to constantly reinforce the troops in Eastern Europe just to keep up with the Russian forces Eastern Europe will be weakly defended. So invade Western Europe using the support of your Fighters and Bomber.

That’s just crazy! Even if you only have a few games worth of experience, I guarantee that if you were playing as Germany in a game there is no way you would allow the US to take Western Europe on the second turn of the game. So why do you assume your opponent will allow this?

OK, you have an idea of what you want to do with the Allies for the first few turns, right? So now you need to play devil’s advocate - play as the Axis against your Allied strategy and look for the best way to stop it. Then go back and tweak it, test it again, etc. - until you are happy with it. Then test it out against some live opponents.

Just as an example, you missed some important things on Japan 1: If you leave your 2 infantry and fighter in India you will lose them. I will attack them with 3 infantry and a fighter from Burma, and the bomber from Japan. I have about an 80% chance of taking India with one Infantry remaining on average. I will land 2 infantry in Burma to protect the bomber, and 2 in Manchuria to reinforce as above. So everything that you have planned out after Japan 1 is invalid in this case. No factory in India. No factory in Sinkiang - if you build a factory in Sinkiang, you will lose it on turn 2 - I can attack it on Japan 2 with 2-4 infantry and 2-5 planes. You will lose the Yakut factory on Turn 3.

I am assuming that by coming to this website and posting various strategies to get feedback on them, your overall goal is to become a better player as quickly as possible. Probably so that you can deliver a butt whoopin’ to your friends. :D
    Well here are some good ways to get a jump start on that:

Below is a website that has several essays that are a great resource for newer players. The strategies aren’t as black and white as the author makes them out to be, but overall they are sound and will help improve your game significantly. Among other things they describe a UK India factory strategy that is decent.

http://donsessays.freeservers.com/
    One relevant quote:

“… you will have to believe that your death will occur if you make a purchasing mistake on the first, second, and third turns against seasoned A&A players.”

As I said earlier, all of this depends on your opponents. If you are playing against friends who are relatively new to the game, there are a lot more viable strategies for both the Axis and Allies. But if you are trying to improve your gameplay as quickly as possible by posting strategy ideas on a board with a lot of experienced players, then you need to learn what works, what doesn’t work, and why.

Take an in-depth look at these essays, absorb them, and then practice the strategies in them against your friends. They won’t stand a chance - you will deliver some serious beatings!

If you do want to improve quickly, get the CD game if you don’t own it already and start playing others on The Zone. There are about 100 people playing every night. I’d be happy to meet you there and help you get started, both with the game and with your Allied strategy. You can send me an e-mail at jg2_ansbach@yahoo.com.

There are also three great Online Axis and Allies clubs:

War Club: http://www.axis-allies.com
    BOP: http://www.balance-of-power.net
    Spring 1942: http://www.spring1942.com

You can join any or all of them! They have a lot of newbie support and resources, as well as various levels of opponents. Your play will improve dramatically, you will have more potential opponents than you ever dreamed of, and you will have a blast!

Also, if you like it here you ought to quit logging in as a guest and join this BB community as well! Continue to post questions and strategy ideas so that we can disscus them with you. This board will help you improve your strategy as well, IF you take what’s discussed here and try it out in real games.

Good luck!

• How about Japan doing a bombing run against the Yakut factory. There will be no AA on the first turn, so it’s a free attack. Maybe you get lucky and roll a 6 taking away 2 INF from Russia on turn 2. Plus, the Russian will be forced to waste another 5 bucks to buy an anti-aircraft unit or the Japanese player can buy more bombers and soon eliminate all of Russia’s income.

• Yeah, that would work too! :)

• Ansbach, I’ll take you up on that offer!

• Ansbach is (as happens so often) correct. If you might indulge me a tad…

One year ago: I was our group’s worst USSR player. But as is so often the case, I became super-interested in USSR and stared at the board for hours trying to come up with the ultimate USSR strategy.

What I came up with was the ultimate “worst case scenario” strategy for T1 that enabled me under virtually ANY circumstances to live for at least 3 turns–if BOTH Japan & Germany attacked on T1 w/ everything they had. My strategy was based on judicious counterattacks to set the enemies back just long enough for a massive USA force to come charging in to the rescue.

The 1st (and only) game I tried this strategy, the Axis didn’t attack me from 2 sides T1–in fact, neither of them strongly attacked me T1 at all. Now I had this massive “counterattack” force just sitting there useless.

So I attacked Japan T2.

Needless to say, Germany swamped me T2 with massive forces and Japan (after defeating my “1-shot”) attack, came in T3. My reputation as the group’s worst USSR player was secure. :o

Since then USSR has become only my 2nd-worst country (after USA). But also since then I have learned the cardinal rule of Naval Combat (and by extension, any combat):

Never prepare for what you think the enemy WILL do. Rather–prepare for what the enemy COULD do…

Ozone27

• Ok, guest, I’m going to be very harsh with you because, well this is an awful idea. First of all, I dont know how your Eastern front can possibly last with 5 less INF there on T1, and I dont know why you think it can. Didn’t Ansbach run the numbers earlier in this thread? I sort of skip over the long posts, but I’m fairly certain this idea is suicide. Second of all, you can accomplish the same thing a Yakut IC would accomplish (2 INF in Yakut every turn) by marching 2 INF from Russia and Novo over the whole game. That would only take 2 INF out of Europe every turn, instead of 5 the first turn and 2 after that. You’ve grasped the big picture idea - stalling Japan, but you really need to look at the details and realize that Russia cannot afford an IC.

• @EmuGod:

Ansbach, I’ll take you up on that offer!

Sure thing! Just send me an e-mail and let me know when you want met up - weekdays between 5pm - 11pm CST work best for me.

jg2_ansbach@yahoo.com

• I agree with Ansbach’s first post. It also leaves the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine to clean the Royal Navy’s clock.
    –--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Try Again!

• An IC in Yakut is unneeded. Its only 2 spaces from Moscow. I have 2 infantry going east every turn usually. Once the patern is established, its like having an IC there. Every turn, 2 infantry arrive from Evenki.

• Guest,

Guest First post

Japan T1…Japan will have an opportunity to take over India using Infantry from Manchuria…

You goofed here(in case no one else pointed it out). Infantry from MAN CANNOT reach India…NO WAY…NO HOW.

Guest First and Second post

GB T1 (E1):
    Buy: Infantry and Transports

You goofed again! With Germany concentrating Navy& Air on the Royal Navy nothing would be left to defend these TRNs. YOU JUST WASTED 16-24 IPCs!
    –----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Try again!

• Another goof,

Guest Second post

Russia Turn 2 (R2):
    Reading Ansbach earlier post I read this sentence “Russian attack from Yakut on turn 2 would be suicide”, it was never my intention the fist Russian turns to attack for instance Manchuria. Use them defensive.

Attacks:

• attack Ukraine
        5 Infantry from Caucasus

Either attack you are making a mistake in most cases.
    Yes, use Eastern USSR forces defensively, except when you can easily knock off a valuable piece(e.g., lone ARM or FTR[maybe ARM or FTR with one INF after you’ve built up and Japan has spread out, T3/T4).
    5 INF attack from UKR(MUST ROLL 1s to hit) AGAINST WHAT? It might be 4-5 INF [and 1 ARM](rolling 2s or less, your opponent would love it.
    I know, I know, you were thinking it was 1-2 INF. WRONG! Stretch your brain, not your lips.

Oh, by-the-by, since Ansbach’s plan takes the USs IC in Ssinkang(sp.?) on J2 and USSRs IC in YAK on J3(TRUST ME,he can and WILL do it :P )
    WHACHA GON DO?

Try again. :wink:
    –----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ansbach… it’s 2 INF, 1 FTR for Japan in FIC to start…and 2 INF, 1 FTR for GB in India to start. - Xi

• You all lick balls! You suck! We should have won back then! Wir sind es nicht vergessen!

Wir fahren gegen england!

• ok, you mention that on G2 germany will not attack karelia for fear of heavy losses!
    you have 10 inf maybe 2 fighters there even if you had 18 germany can hit it!
    germany will have 8 arm, 9-11 inf and air power! Plus if you leave 5 inf in ukarine, i will just hit that! i should kill all 5 for 2 infantry. move in ukraine hard, and move 8 more infantry to eastern europe. If the usa takes western europe, i will counter with air (not armor) That way my armor will still be crushing russians. With all those factories, the allied “shuck-shuck” is going to be slow. With your strategy, you leave the russians in “dead zones” This allows germany to kill alot for very little. If i have extra men in libya, i might consider transporting them into europe to kill russia even faster!
    Your yakut strategy would work alot better if you made different moves as russia! (i’m not saying that it’s optimum though)

• Guest, methinkest thou wasteth thine index fingers.
    This thread has been inactive for over 6 months.
    I think the original guest has learned his lesson and then some.

Look elsewhere on these fora for a good discussion.
    In fact, try “General Discussion!”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m