First turn Russia, an IC in Yakut.

• Ansbach, I’ll take you up on that offer!

• Ansbach is (as happens so often) correct. If you might indulge me a tad…

One year ago: I was our group’s worst USSR player. But as is so often the case, I became super-interested in USSR and stared at the board for hours trying to come up with the ultimate USSR strategy.

What I came up with was the ultimate “worst case scenario” strategy for T1 that enabled me under virtually ANY circumstances to live for at least 3 turns–if BOTH Japan & Germany attacked on T1 w/ everything they had. My strategy was based on judicious counterattacks to set the enemies back just long enough for a massive USA force to come charging in to the rescue.

The 1st (and only) game I tried this strategy, the Axis didn’t attack me from 2 sides T1–in fact, neither of them strongly attacked me T1 at all. Now I had this massive “counterattack” force just sitting there useless.

So I attacked Japan T2.

Needless to say, Germany swamped me T2 with massive forces and Japan (after defeating my “1-shot”) attack, came in T3. My reputation as the group’s worst USSR player was secure. :o

Since then USSR has become only my 2nd-worst country (after USA). But also since then I have learned the cardinal rule of Naval Combat (and by extension, any combat):

Never prepare for what you think the enemy WILL do. Rather–prepare for what the enemy COULD do…

Ozone27

• Ok, guest, I’m going to be very harsh with you because, well this is an awful idea. First of all, I dont know how your Eastern front can possibly last with 5 less INF there on T1, and I dont know why you think it can. Didn’t Ansbach run the numbers earlier in this thread? I sort of skip over the long posts, but I’m fairly certain this idea is suicide. Second of all, you can accomplish the same thing a Yakut IC would accomplish (2 INF in Yakut every turn) by marching 2 INF from Russia and Novo over the whole game. That would only take 2 INF out of Europe every turn, instead of 5 the first turn and 2 after that. You’ve grasped the big picture idea - stalling Japan, but you really need to look at the details and realize that Russia cannot afford an IC.

• @EmuGod:

Ansbach, I’ll take you up on that offer!

Sure thing! Just send me an e-mail and let me know when you want met up - weekdays between 5pm - 11pm CST work best for me.

jg2_ansbach@yahoo.com

• I agree with Ansbach’s first post. It also leaves the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine to clean the Royal Navy’s clock.
    –--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Try Again!

• An IC in Yakut is unneeded. Its only 2 spaces from Moscow. I have 2 infantry going east every turn usually. Once the patern is established, its like having an IC there. Every turn, 2 infantry arrive from Evenki.

• Guest,

Guest First post

Japan T1…Japan will have an opportunity to take over India using Infantry from Manchuria…

You goofed here(in case no one else pointed it out). Infantry from MAN CANNOT reach India…NO WAY…NO HOW.

Guest First and Second post

GB T1 (E1):
    Buy: Infantry and Transports

You goofed again! With Germany concentrating Navy& Air on the Royal Navy nothing would be left to defend these TRNs. YOU JUST WASTED 16-24 IPCs!
    –----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Try again!

• Another goof,

Guest Second post

Russia Turn 2 (R2):
    Reading Ansbach earlier post I read this sentence “Russian attack from Yakut on turn 2 would be suicide”, it was never my intention the fist Russian turns to attack for instance Manchuria. Use them defensive.

Attacks:

• attack Ukraine
        5 Infantry from Caucasus

Either attack you are making a mistake in most cases.
    Yes, use Eastern USSR forces defensively, except when you can easily knock off a valuable piece(e.g., lone ARM or FTR[maybe ARM or FTR with one INF after you’ve built up and Japan has spread out, T3/T4).
    5 INF attack from UKR(MUST ROLL 1s to hit) AGAINST WHAT? It might be 4-5 INF [and 1 ARM](rolling 2s or less, your opponent would love it.
    I know, I know, you were thinking it was 1-2 INF. WRONG! Stretch your brain, not your lips.

Oh, by-the-by, since Ansbach’s plan takes the USs IC in Ssinkang(sp.?) on J2 and USSRs IC in YAK on J3(TRUST ME,he can and WILL do it :P )
    WHACHA GON DO?

Try again. :wink:
    –----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ansbach… it’s 2 INF, 1 FTR for Japan in FIC to start…and 2 INF, 1 FTR for GB in India to start. - Xi

• You all lick balls! You suck! We should have won back then! Wir sind es nicht vergessen!

Wir fahren gegen england!

• ok, you mention that on G2 germany will not attack karelia for fear of heavy losses!
    you have 10 inf maybe 2 fighters there even if you had 18 germany can hit it!
    germany will have 8 arm, 9-11 inf and air power! Plus if you leave 5 inf in ukarine, i will just hit that! i should kill all 5 for 2 infantry. move in ukraine hard, and move 8 more infantry to eastern europe. If the usa takes western europe, i will counter with air (not armor) That way my armor will still be crushing russians. With all those factories, the allied “shuck-shuck” is going to be slow. With your strategy, you leave the russians in “dead zones” This allows germany to kill alot for very little. If i have extra men in libya, i might consider transporting them into europe to kill russia even faster!
    Your yakut strategy would work alot better if you made different moves as russia! (i’m not saying that it’s optimum though)

• Guest, methinkest thou wasteth thine index fingers.
    This thread has been inactive for over 6 months.
    I think the original guest has learned his lesson and then some.

Look elsewhere on these fora for a good discussion.
    In fact, try “General Discussion!”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m