1941 with NOs, what is your bid? (experienced players only)

• Customizer

Please only bid if you have a large amount of experience, playing against other very good players.  At least 10 games minimum under you belt, preferably more.

I bid 8 these days… since it is the largest i can get without going over that critical of 2 units and into 3 units.  (i generally do 1 inf and 1 tank, and put them in karelia and egypt, though i can’t make up my mind for which in karelia and which in egypt)
    That one-two punch with italy making a hole for german tanks to blitz into caucasus / moscow just hurts way too much these days.

• You should put an option “no bid”. I think that it could have some answers, and this is really different than 5 or less

• I voted $9 but I could possible go for $8, but I prefer to play axis.

Even if axis must do many more attacks compared to revised, imo, this doesn’t change the size of the bid needed to balance the game, as in LL vs regular dice.

I’m gonna repeat myself to those who haven’t got into the AA50 41 +NO in depth, there are only two ways to win (as allies) w/o a bid, and that is either playing against a total n00b, or axis have extremely bad luck rnd 1.

• '10

I have not found a bid to be necessary in either scenario however I can see a 3-5 bid in 41

• Customizer

i see literally hundreds of 1941 with National Objective games completed every day on our server, many of them with experienced players, and i can attest that if you aren’t bidding at least 6 either you been playing against noobs in your past games, or you have been lucky in your past games. 
    I am talking serious games here.  No, “oh just for fun i’ll try going pacific with usa” games.  No “i think i’ll build a german fleet” games.  Serious stuff only.

• Battlingmaxo if you haven’t figured it out now, all us people that play here at AA.org are a bunch of stupid newbs and the truly elite players play at TripleA  :roll:

I haven’t gotten into heavy bidding yet, but will take help for the Allies if I can.  :-D
    For the first time, I actually enjoy playing the Allies more in an A&A game, maybe it’s cause I hate doing Rds 1-2 with the Axis (too many battles), or maybe b/c it is finally challenging to be the Allies.

However, it is also important to remember all bids are not equal.  The value of a bid lessens if you aren’t placing it in the right spot.  A 6 bid to Russia is far weaker then just a 3 bid to Egy.

The best placements, IMO, are 1-2 units in Egy or Trj or 1 unit Egy + 1 unit Russia.

Egy bid - Guaranteed to hold Egy thru G1 and allows a stacking of Trj and sinking of Ita fleet on UK3.  Keeps that ftr alive, which is huge.

Trj bid (no additional units to Egy) - here you are hoping G attacks Egy on G1, maybe it goes well for you, but you have the ability to counter without bringing your bom down.  OR Ger doesn’t attack seeing the counter and you saved the Egy units without putting another guy there.  Still should leave you with a strong Mid East presence as well.  Might be a bit harder to block in the Ita fleet though.  IMO, the Egy bid is a bit stronger.

Russian bids - You’re probably not going to be able to prevent an attack or do much damage in defense, so putting a something on the front lines probably isn’t that great, but added punch for a counter might be good.  Germany does have enough freedom of units to make its attacks in such a way they can limit the effectiveness of a Russian bid but an Rt or Arm to Belo gives you a nice wide rage of counters.

Cash bids - On there own are pretty weak.  You need units.

A combo of EGY + Russia seems logical, but 2 units to Egy or Egy + Trj should hold the Mid East for quite some time and never allow G/I beyond Sud (if they get that far).

But I’m still trying new things.  If I feel I only need the 1 inf in Egy to hold the middle east, I’ll use 1 unit to Egy + 1 to Belo.

• The weak point of Egypt bid is still lefts z2 undefended. Since z2 is the second best option after Egypt for a german attack, and only marginally worst, one or two inf there are not going to aid much. This is even worst in case of tech (in case of a lucky tech, z2 could be a no brainer)

Now, if we are talking about 3 inf to Egypt, that’s another issue. Then is possible a Egypt IC can hold, thus paliating a bit the lack of India IC. That could aid. It leaves China, Australia and z2 unresolved but at least Africa is secure

I’d still prefer a bid limited to Asia but well …

@Funcioneta:

The weak point of Egypt bid is still lefts z2 undefended. Since z2 is the second best option after Egypt for a german attack, and only marginally worst, one or two inf there are not going to aid much. This is even worst in case of tech (in case of a lucky tech, z2 could be a no brainer)

You might leave Sz 2 undefended, but you are saving a ton of IPCs in Afr, and you get the UK NO for sure on UK 1.
    Yes it hurts losing the BB, but if you can slow the Axis expansion, I think it is a tradeoff work making.

• My point is: yes, Egypt bid aids (for the reasons you say), but not enough

• You need a no bid option as well as axis bid options.

Personnally I find that axis are weaker than allies.

• '10

@a44bigdog:

Battlingmaxo if you haven’t figured it out now, all us people that play here at AA.org are a bunch of stupid newbs and the truly elite players play at TripleA  :roll:

Since I’m not really a noob and I’m reasonalbly intelligent I think I’ll take my “lucky dice” to Vegas.

• '16 '15 '10

@Funcioneta:

The weak point of Egypt bid is still lefts z2 undefended. Since z2 is the second best option after Egypt for a german attack, and only marginally worst, one or two inf there are not going to aid much. This is even worst in case of tech (in case of a lucky tech, z2 could be a no brainer)

Now, if we are talking about 3 inf to Egypt, that’s another issue. Then is possible a Egypt IC can hold, thus paliating a bit the lack of India IC. That could aid. It leaves China, Australia and z2 unresolved but at least Africa is secure

I’d still prefer a bid limited to Asia but well …

UK ICs in 41 don’t seem to succeed very often.  Maybe Norway if UK has lots of extra cash.  Or France if it can be held.

Getting back to Egy bids…the problem with just one inf is Germany might still decide to attack and is still at 40% and could catch some luck.  This combined with aggressive Japanese tactics and things can get bad for the colonial troops.  Not to say attacking Egy G1 against a bid unit is a good play…but it’s frustrating if I’m Allies and Axis takes the risk and wins.

Re. SZ2, the only way you could cover both Egy and 2 would be an 11 bid.  But there are still plenty of targets on G1 (Karelia, SZ8, SZ12)…  If I got an 11 bid I’d consider an alternative placement.

Btw I voted 9, but 10-11 are pretty reasonable numbers.  8 is the price I’m seeing the most.

• victory cities

• @Zhukov44:

Re. SZ2, the only way you could cover both Egy and 2 would be an 11 bid.  But there are still plenty of targets on G1 (Karelia, SZ8, SZ12)…  If I got an 11 bid I’d consider an alternative placement.

You say dd to z8, inf to egy in case of 11 bid? That’s interesting, and it prevents a double on z9 and z2. That one might work

I think z12 is a must for axis or italian navy is going to die UK1, anyway even one dd to z12 will allow germans kill that fleet and maybe preventing an attack over Egypt or z2. I like that dd+inf bid, with time we’ll know if is the proper. I think I prefer the dd to z8, at least you have canadian trannie secured and z2 is too risky with just fig+bomb. The only problem I see with this bid is maybe ignoring Japan could get too attractive for some, and that’s a big problem, I don’t want to revert to Revised KGFfanmania

I don’t like attack on Karelia, it can get cathastrophic easily

• '16 '15 '10

I play low luck alot, and Karelia without a bid unit is too much of a risk G1 in ll.

Hence if I get 3 bid units, I’m more inclined to give 2 to Russia and 1 to Egypt than any other bid strategy.  As you note, the UK naval bid is tricky in that Germany can choose other targets like 12 and 9…and they might also decide to go for the SZ2 anyway with both subs and both planes.

To those who don’t believe a bid is necessary, on the TripleA live server there are plenty of experienced gamers who would be happy to school you.  There is no one on TripleA who regularly plays without a bid…the closest thing that comes to mind is Robin who will take games with just Dard closed as the bid, but I’m not sure he has a great success rate against experts with this.

• LL gives even more advantage to axis due starting attacks will be an almost secure victory if done right. The side with an advantage gets more advantage from the scripted game LL house rule leads. That opens Karelia road of course

Maybe you are saving Karelia but z2 is still lost with that bid

Since I never play LL unless totally desperate for a game, bidding dudes to USSR is useless for me

• just a heads up

in the final of the daak tourney

the bid was won with 8$

which means dutchmanD is playing the axis vs 2 inf in egypt and 2$ for russia

I personally bid 5 as i wasn’t willing to give a good allies player 2 inf in egypt.

However i am still not confident i am winning with the 2 inf in egypt and the 2$ for russia

but honestly i think it depends alot on how the bidding is done

in DAAK i got to choose units anywhere.

your bidding is different.

However under the daak rules i think a bid between 5-9 is probably correct

i also had thoughts that with 2 inf in egypt i can possibly build a factory in egypt turn 1

i think 9 might be too much

and 5 might be too little

• Jeez do I get tired of hearing how “badass” these TripleA players are.  I play on there and don’t really think the level of gameplay is any better.

All the LL games get annoying, its too scripted.

I’m going to try the 11 bid with a DD in SZ2 and an INF in Egy, I like the possiblities it opens up.

• @bongaroo:

Jeez do I get tired of hearing how “badass” these TripleA players are.  I play on there and don’t really think the level of gameplay is any better.

what we need is a challenge!
    DAAK vs A&A.org

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m