• Official Q&A

Air attacks simply refers to air units on carriers in the sea zone.  The air units are included in the carrier’s convoy damage, as a carrier itself wouldn’t be able to damage much shipping.  Rather than complicate the rules with things like “all surface warships except carriers cause one point of damage, and air units on carriers cause one each” or “only carriers with at least one air unit cause damage”, it was simplified to say that each surface warship causes a point regardless of type.

• Official Q&A

@Craig:

After a quick check of the AA40 Europe Rule Set (unofficial/playtest copy), I see that this situation was caught and edited to remove the “air” part of the statement.

Yes.  This was done in order to avoid just this sort of confusion.

@Craig:

This goes back to Krieghund stating that there are a bit of typo/clarifications that will have to been put out concerning AA40 Pacific.  Everyone needs to keep their panties from getting in a wad and wait patiently for Krieghund and Larry to get that info out.

Speaking of which, I’m working on the FAQ now.  In in effort to facilitate that process, I’m going to stop answering rules questions and let you guys work them out for yourselves.  I’ll only step in if you get to an impasse.  That way, I’ll be better able to more quickly identify ambiguities in the rules.

I know there are some minor problems with the political rules, but this is the first A&A game that’s ever had them, so please bear with us.  Due to the development schedule, some new issues came up with them while testing Europe after the Pacific rulebook had already been finalized.  Many of the clarifications in the FAQ will deal with those issues.  Of course, some of these are also just plain old mistakes.  :oops:

@Craig:

Remember, they are just humans too!  I know, it’s hard to believe, but trust me.  I have proof of their mortalness.  See my avatar.

They are nice guys (Larry most of the time!  :wink: ) doing a great job of keeping us happy with new challenges.

Lies!  All lies!!  :wink:

• TripleA '12

Krieghund, Craig A Yope, I really appreciate your efforts in helping us clarify quite a lot of issues here. Thank you both. Can either of you confirm whether an offical FAQ is being put together as we speak?

• Official Q&A

Yeah, I’m working on it now.  See my last post, above.

• @hyogoetophile:

@Stoney229:

So the USA collects 50 from Western USA on it’s 3rd turn no matter what, right?  So there no disadvantage to anyone declaring war after USA’s second turn, right?

It seems there are all sorts of rules coming out of the woodwork, but so far the only disadvantage would be that the U.S. can attack Japan on US3. Though I’m not sure if this would amount to any sort of threat that early in the game.

Excellent point… which reveals that it would actually behoove UK or ANZAC to attack Japan on their second turn, because it allows USA the opportunity to attack if it so chooses, and has no drawbacks whatsoever, am I wrong?

• Moving a naval fleet into a seazone occupied only by an enemies transport, does this act put the naval forces into naval battle?  or can the Naval fleet bombard the amphibious invasion since the transport does not have a defense value?

• @Funcioneta:

@Stoney229:

If Japan captures West USA, does it collect 50 from it or 10?  Is West USA a capital, i.e. does Japan get USA’s money in this case (or is that even a rule in this game?)?

If Japan attacks, they are at war, so I’d say Japan takes a 50 IPCs territory. I guess it’s a capital and take the money, but anyway game is over if you manage such deed  :-)

Do the rules not offer a clear answer?

It’s not necessarily a moot point: If Japan gets USA’s IPC in hand PLUS 50 IPC for capturing West USA, then sure, the game is as good as over.  but if neither of those are the case, then the game is not necessarily over.

• @Krieghund:

Air attacks simply refers to air units on carriers in the sea zone.  The air units are included in the carrier’s convoy damage, as a carrier itself wouldn’t be able to damage much shipping.  Rather than complicate the rules with things like “all surface warships except carriers cause one point of damage, and air units on carriers cause one each” or “only carriers with at least one air unit cause damage”, it was simplified to say that each surface warship causes a point regardless of type.

So I’m not clear if that means the aircraft cargo inflict additional ‘damage’, or if they don’t.  I’m guessing they don’t.

• @shohoku201:

Moving a naval fleet into a seazone occupied only by an enemies transport, does this act put the naval forces into naval battle?  or can the Naval fleet bombard the amphibious invasion since the transport does not have a defense value?

Per AA50 rules I believe the attacker may choose not to attack transports (or subs) when they are not accompanied by surface warships, and I’m guessing (s)he must choose so in order to use bombardment in an amphibious assault.

• @Stoney229:

It’s not necessarily a moot point: If Japan gets USA’s IPC in hand PLUS 50 IPC for capturing West USA, then sure, the game is as good as over.  but if neither of those are the case, then the game is not necessarily over.

I think rules are pretty clear: if you are at war with USA, WUSA becomes a 50 IPCs territory. So, if you attack WUSA, you are automatically at war with WUSA (at combat moves phase I guess). If you conquer it, you get money for being a capital and also colect WUSA territory income (50) because we are at another phase (combat phase). That that I understand from the rules we know (I have not the game yet)

Now: any case, colect or not the money, if Japan takes USA, is game over unless ANZAC (or some rogue USA troop that survived the attack in Canada) can retake WUSA and hold it, and even then is a uphill battle even in case of a 10 IPCs WUSA because Japan will have 10 from capital, 10 from WUSA and USA will lose all her money (a total money sink of at least 30)

• @Krieghund:

@Admiral_Thrawn:

Is the United States considered nuetral until attacked or declares war?

Yes.

@Admiral_Thrawn:

Can the U.S. move it’s land units and airpower to territories controlled by the U.K.? They can’t go to Dutch territories so I assume they can’t go to U.K. territories?

No, it can’t.  Neutral countries can’t move units into other countries’ territories.  This isn’t clear in the rules, but it will be in the FAQ.

But UK and ANZAC can occupy each others territories before a declaration of war, because they are not neutral, correct?

• @Funcioneta:

@Stoney229:

I think rules are pretty clear: if you are at war with USA, WUSA becomes a 50 IPCs territory. So, if you attack WUSA, you are automatically at war with WUSA (at combat moves phase I guess). If you conquer it, you get money for being a capital and also colect WUSA territory income (50) because we are at another phase (combat phase). That that I understand from the rules we know (I have not the game yet)

Now: any case, colect or not the money, if Japan takes USA, is game over unless ANZAC (or some rogue USA troop that survived the attack in Canada) can retake WUSA and hold it, and even then is a uphill battle even in case of a 10 IPCs WUSA because Japan will have 10 from capital, 10 from WUSA and USA will lose all her money (a total money sink of at least 30)

yes I understand, but if San Fran is a capital it seems peculiar that it is not distinguished as one on the map (no “star”, for example… just a red dot just like Honolulu or Manila).  So if San Fran really is a capital, and capturing it really does invoke a transfer of money, then both those things must be explicitly articulated in the rules, they cannot be assumed.  Also, if the US then, has a functioning capital in AAP40 that is not really its capital, are Calcutta and Sydney capitals too?

• @Stoney229:

@shohoku201:

Moving a naval fleet into a seazone occupied only by an enemies transport, does this act put the naval forces into naval battle?  or can the Naval fleet bombard the amphibious invasion since the transport does not have a defense value?

Per AA50 rules I believe the attacker may choose not to attack transports (or subs) when they are not accompanied by surface warships, and I’m guessing (s)he must choose so in order to use bombardment in an amphibious assault.

If this is the case, then J1 attack on Hawaii is not out of the question.  Sending 2 battleships, 1 cruiser for naval bombardment, plus three infantry and 2 artillery versus 2 infantry, 1 fighter, 1 tactical bomber, and 1 bomber.  Although this slows down Japan’s early advance in Asia, Japan can then send most of their excess fighters & tactical bombers to Hawaii to scramble and defend against USA.  This pins down USA

• @shohoku201:

@Stoney229:

@shohoku201:

If this is the case, then J1 attack on Hawaii is not out of the question.  Sending 2 battleships, 1 cruiser for naval bombardment, plus three infantry and 2 artillery versus 2 infantry, 1 fighter, 1 tactical bomber, and 1 bomber.  Although this slows down Japan’s early advance in Asia, Japan can then send most of their excess fighters & tactical bombers to Hawaii to scramble and defend against USA.  This pins down USA

I think you are right to say that it is possible, but I do not think it is worth the 80 extra IPC it would give the USA in the first two rounds.  remember: when the US enters the wars, W.USA goes from 10 to 50 IPC value.

• Official Q&A

@Stoney229:

@Krieghund:

So I’m not clear if that means the aircraft cargo inflict additional ‘damage’, or if they don’t.  I’m guessing they don’t.

They don’t.

• @Stoney229:

Also, if the US then, has a functioning capital in AAP40 that is not really its capital, are Calcutta and Sydney capitals too?

All A&A games I can remember have a stated capital in the rulebook. Usually capitals are marked on board with some sort of symbol (hammer and sickle for soviets, rising sun for Japan, etc). I guess there is not a capital simbol in AAP40 because is going to combine with AAE40 and it’s better prevent 2 territories with capital simbols in global game

Edit: I checked. Japan has not a capital simbol in AAP40, but no country has a capital simbol in AA50, so I guess they dropped that thing in that game and is not going to reappear. So no capital simbol in WUSA doesn’t mean nothing. Just we’ll have to check in rulebook what territories will be the capitals, but you can guess it will be the same with a starting IC (WUSA, Japan, India and New South Wales). China has no capital by the way … pretty strange, Chiang Kai Shiek moved it from Nanking near the coast to Chongquing in inner mountains when japs conquered Nanking

As a note, is odd that Nanking is not a VC in any A&A game  :?

• @Stoney229:

@shohoku201:

@Stoney229:

@shohoku201:

Moving a naval fleet into a seazone occupied only by an enemies transport, does this act put the naval forces into naval battle?  or can the Naval fleet bombard the amphibious invasion since the transport does not have a defense value?

If this is the case, then J1 attack on Hawaii is not out of the question.  Sending 2 battleships, 1 cruiser for naval bombardment, plus three infantry and 2 artillery versus 2 infantry, 1 fighter, 1 tactical bomber, and 1 bomber.  Although this slows down Japan’s early advance in Asia, Japan can then send most of their excess fighters & tactical bombers to Hawaii to scramble and defend against USA.  This pins down USA

I think you are right to say that it is possible, but I do not think it is worth the 80 extra IPC it would give the USA in the first two rounds.  remember: when the US enters the wars, W.USA goes from 10 to 50 IPC value.

If Japan sends 2 Battleships, 3 Aircraft Carriers, 3 Fighters, 3 Tactical Bombers, 1 Cruiser, 3 Destroyers, 1 Submarine, 3 Transports, 3 Infantry and 2 Artillery and successfully invades Hawaii with Naval Bombardment support, USA can attack Japan at sea zone 26 around Hawaii with 1 Battleship, 1 Aircraft Carrier, 1 Bomber, 2 Tactical Bombers, 2 Fighters, 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Submarine.

USA rolls 4x4s, 3x3sx, 2x2s with 2 free hits
    Japan rolls: 5x4s, 4x3s, 3x2s, 2x1s with 5 free hits

On average, USA will hit 4.8 while Japan will hit 6.7

If USA does decide to do this, I think this will decimate their navy, while Japan can take 5 hits for free and repair after the engagement.  USA would be left with 17 IPC to place in Western USA.  If they bought Navy with 17 IPC it’ll be decimated by Japan on J2.

• Your numbers are correct, but what kind of retard would do anything like that ?

And I dont think the casual players buy this game, so they are out of the question.

• Can existing fighters and tactical bombers (on a tt with an industrial complex) be placed on a newly bought/placed aircraft carrier?

• @shohoku201:

Can existing fighters and tactical bombers (on a tt with an industrial complex) be placed on a newly bought/placed aircraft carrier?

Not if they’re on land; they need to end non combat in the seazone where the carrier will be floated.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m