• This is only an idea, I’m not tied to it, so be gentle.

Would the capability for all Major Powers to upgrade Battleships to Fast Battleships be a good idea, specifically to balance, and not historical accuracy?

I think it should require an undamaged Major Shipyard, take all three production turns, and cost; 4/4/4. With Improved Construction; it would take 3 turns and cost 3/3/3, or two turns, and cost 8/4, at the discretion of the players involved.

I’m sort of comparing this to upgrading Militia, but only as a precedent, not as a template.

• @aftertaste That is a decent idea. Why do you say as a balance? What needs it? That might be too much, but please explain.

• @trig I mean is it a good fit for the game, and not; ‘because it happened in real life’. (Kongo Class Battlecruisers being one example, although they were WW1 Battlecruiser conversions to Fast Battleships).

The reason I ask about balance is because there are certain powers that just won’t ever benefit from this. Only the US, UK, and Japan will ever be in a realistic position to use this rule, having 4,3, and 2 Battleships, respectively, so is it really fair to have this rule in the game?

• @aftertaste I think so, for instance, there are alot of things that only one of two nations benefit from. For instance, when does the US need Heavy tanks? Or the Soviets advanced ASW? The Chinese almost never use ships.
    That said, modernizing battleships was more of a interwar Washington Naval treaty thing, as it allowed you to get better ships during the “building holiday.” In wartime, it was simpler and more effective to just build another one.

• @trig said in Modernising Battleships:

@aftertaste I think so, for instance, there are alot of things that only one of two nations benefit from. For instance, when does the US need Heavy tanks? Or the Soviets advanced ASW? The Chinese almost never use ships.

Someone isn’t planning for the next war. 😉

That said, modernizing battleships was more of a interwar Washington Naval treaty thing, as it allowed you to get better ships during the “building holiday.” In wartime, it was simpler and more effective to just build another one.

You make good points, and I suppose there isn’t much reason to not use the rule, but I think maybe it’s a bit more subjective, historically speaking. Modernising in the ‘36-‘39 period makes more sense, I’ll see if my group want to play test the idea. Thanks for you help, Trig.

• @trig I should add, the reasons I said 4/4/4, then 3/3/3 or 8/4 are:

1. 6/6/6 is a Fast Battleship, so there’s no benefit.
    2. 5/5/5 is a Battleship, and why upgrade a Battleship when for the same price you can have two Battleships, even if they’re slower?
    3. 4/4/4 is 12 IPC’s total, which isn’t a lot, compared to options 1 and 2, but it is just about costly enough that other options are just as viable (such as a tactical bomber) so there are pros and cons to weigh up.

It should always be three turns (without Improved Construction) because improving a Battleships speed by 6-7 knots with the same armour and weaponry is a job and a half!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m