Making German Infantry Meanigful

• @Cmdr:

3 Infantry, Artillery, 4 Fighters, Cruiser vs 5 Infantry, Artillery, AA Gun in Karelia
    3 Infantry, 2 Armor vs 3 Infantry in Baltic States
    2 Infantry, Artillery, 2 Armor vs 2 Infantry in E. Poland
    2 Infantry, Artillery, 2 Armor vs 2 Infantry in Ukraine

Sure, Karelia is risky, but Russia is reeling if it goes decently (Baltic States, E. Poland and Ukraine should be hands down wins for you with probably one infantry lost in each and Russia unable to liberate any of them.)

If you do Egypt, like I do, 2 Infantry, Artillery, 2 Armor (not even good odds, but good enough to do serious damage to England.)

SZ 6 would be Submarine vs Destroyer (50/50)
    SZ 12 would be 2 Submarines, Bomber vs Cruiser, Destroyer (good odds, since he risks Sneak Shot if he sinks the destroyer first!)

Jen - what about using 1 arm (instead of 2) in both E.Poland & Ukraine; then during non-combat move 2 arm from Poland to fortify Karelia.  Now Karelia should have (at least) 1art, 2arm that Russia will have to counter.  They only have 4 inf and 1 arm that they can get there.  What do you think?

Also, I’m interested to know how you fortify France from a British attack?  If you grabbed the tank from France (and maybe an inf?) and dropped it in Egypt, you only have 1 or 2 inf left, and only a couple in Germany.
    Thanks.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Sounds like an idea.  I’ll try it next time.

• In reply to the original question, put them on France  :-D

Honestly Germany does make enough money to go all armor on Russia and win, eventually. Especially when they buy a bomber a round.  The key is not to push to fast on Russia and get trapped or forced into a really bad trade.  Just get your NOs.

• I basically did this move (inf/art, 1 turn tank/inf, 1 turn all tanks) in my last game as Germany and I only failed to take Moscow because I got diced HARD.  Having infantry (turn 2 buy) and aircraft available on turn 6 after the Moscow attack provides a solid counterattack if Russia retakes or if the first fails.

• @Cmdr:

There are a few reasons I advocate the Karelian Attack on Germany 1……

Honestly, with only 4 AA Gun shots, there’s a 33% chance you won’t lost ANY fighters give or take. (I just used LL to estimate the chance.)  Even if you do lose one, and I wouldn’t expect to lose more than one, with a 50+ income for Round 2, I think you can afford the replacement fighter!

Have to smile at this one. I tried this on G1, and the KAR AA gun took out three, I say again, three of my fighters at the opening.  Who would have thunk?  :?

Needless to say, the loss of 3 ftrs and my amphibious force does not bode well for Germany’s prospects.  Maybe next time….

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m