• Cheers!
    first, let know if I got it right:

rules for submarines when defending:

1. Subs can not be attacked by air units unless a destroyer is present

2. Subs can be attacked by naval units even if there is no destroyer but

2.a) they shoot before the attacker, and if roll at 1, if they score attacking unit sinks before having the chance of attacking – if attacking unit is a BB she can take the torpedo hit and attack anyway, but if it’s a Cruiser she goes to the bottom right there without dropping a single deep charge.
    2.b) can submerge after attacker roll

If there’s a destroyer present, subs can’t do their sneak-attack (2.a doesn’t work), and they can’t submerge

Am I right? I guess I am

If the above is true, question about tactics…
    A forum member suggested on another topic (something about US strategy in the Pacific) that you can do the following:

• buy a lot of subs
    • you spread them around various sea-zones: since a single destroyer can prevent the subs to submerge, they are very vulnerable to be taken by the air of by a big fleet … but if they’re spread around the enemy can’t focus all his navy power on a single subs-stack (I’m assuming that you have more subs than the enemy has destroyers, so the enemy can’t just spread his own fleet to chase every sub). Subs that are chased by destroyers may be sunk, but the ones that are chased just by regular navy units can submerge and escape…
    • if the enemy spreads his fleet to hunt your subs… his fleet gets vulnerable to either attacks by your own concentrated fleet… or by your own subs which can re-join to attack a single sea-zone during your turn

does anyone tried this strategy? did it work?

• subs can submerge before the first round of combat if your opponent don’t have a dd.

• Official Q&A

@Gallo:

rules for submarines when defending:

1. Subs can not be attacked by air units unless a destroyer is present

True.

@Gallo:

1. Subs can be attacked by naval units even if there is no destroyer but

True.

@Gallo:

2.a) they shoot before the attacker, and if roll at 1, if they score attacking unit sinks before having the chance of attacking – if attacking unit is a BB she can take the torpedo hit and attack anyway, but if it’s a Cruiser she goes to the bottom right there without dropping a single deep charge.

This is true if there’s no attacking desrtoyer.  If there is an attacking destroyer, the sub fires at the same time as the attacker(s) and the results are simultaneous.

@Gallo:

If there’s no enemy destroyer, subs may submerge instead of rolling.  This can be done in any combat round, including the first, so a sub can submerge instead of firing before the attacker fires if desired.

@Gallo:

If there’s a destroyer present, subs can’t do their sneak-attack (2.a doesn’t work), and they can’t submerge

True.  They then fire at the same time as everything else.

• @Krieghund:

@Gallo:

This is true if there’s no attacking desrtoyer.  If there is an attacking destroyer, the sub fires at the same time as the attacker(s) and the results are simultaneous.

yes, as I’ve stated, I was assuming no enemy destroyer attacking.
    buy what does it means that “the sub fires at the same time”?
    1.Attacker rolls
    2.Defender select casualties
    3.Defender moves casualties to casualty zone
    4.Defender (subs) rolls
    5.Attacker selects casualties
    6.Everybody removes casualties.

that’s how it is, right?

@Krieghund:

@Gallo:

If there’s no enemy destroyer, subs may submerge instead of rolling.  This can be done in any combat round, including the first, so a sub can submerge instead of firing before the attacker fires if desired.

yes, I’m always assuming no enemy destroyer attacking at this point…
    but again, just to clarify:

If an attacking fleet with no destroyer moves into a sz defended by a submarine… the submarine can just choose to submerge without fighting? I mean: nobody fires? not even a first round?
    Example: four British Battleships moves into a sz where there is just one single German submarine to attack it (I know that British can ignore it, but say that they want to sink that annoying U-Boat)… and the German sub can chose to submerge avoiding even the first attack?

@Krieghund:

@Gallo:

again, by firing at the same time you mean the 6 steps mentioned above, right?

If all the above is right, then the ‘spreading subs’ may be a really good tactic! I can’t wait to try it!  :-D

• Official Q&A

@Gallo:

@Krieghund:

@Gallo:

yes, as I’ve stated, I was assuming no enemy destroyer attacking.
    buy what does it means that “the sub fires at the same time”?
    1.Attacker rolls
    2.Defender select casualties
    3.Defender moves casualties to casualty zone
    4.Defender (subs) rolls
    5.Attacker selects casualties
    6.Everybody removes casualties.

that’s how it is, right?

Yes.

@Gallo:

@Krieghund:

@Gallo:

yes, I’m always assuming no enemy destroyer attacking at this point…
    but again, just to clarify:

If an attacking fleet with no destroyer moves into a sz defended by a submarine… the submarine can just choose to submerge without fighting? I mean: nobody fires? not even a first round?
    Example: four British Battleships moves into a sz where there is just one single German submarine to attack it (I know that British can ignore it, but say that they want to sink that annoying U-Boat)… and the German sub can chose to submerge avoiding even the first attack?

Yes.

@Gallo:

@Krieghund:

@Gallo:

again, by firing at the same time you mean the 6 steps mentioned above, right?

Yes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m