• LHTR SUMMARY

This is a brief summary of the LHTR rules that are common to Enhanced.
    If you are interested in the full LHTR rules, follow this link: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/index.php

A. Three Core Phases
    1. Combat Movement requires that you move only those pieces that will attack enemy units and/or that will attack(or in the case of transports - participate in the attack of) enemy spaces.
    2. Conduct Combat is the phase where ALL dice rolling is done.
    3. Non-Combat Movement is the phase in which you may move any piece which did not move or participate in combat (air units are an exception).

B. Carriers and Fighters
    1. FTRs may no longer move on the Mobilize Units Phase
    2. Existing FTRs may land on newly built ACs by “hovering” in a SZ adjacent to the IC at the end of NCM (much like they “hover” at the end of Combat)
    3. New FTRs may be built on existing ACs (in a SZ adjacent to the IC)

C. Anti-Aircraft Guns
    1. AAGuns no longer fire on NCM

D. Transports
    1. Units loaded in Combat, must be offloaded in Combat (ie. Amphibious Assault), unless the transport is sunk or forced to retreat from a sea battle
    2. If a Transport is involved in Combat, its cargo can only be unloaded during Combat movement (The one exception to this in Enhanced is TRNs starting in hostile SZs)

E. Submarines (submerge OR retreat)
    0. the Attacker decides to retreat/press BEFORE the Defender decides to submerge subs
    1. In Retreat , all attacking forces must move to the same adjacent seazone
    2. In Retreat, one or more attacking subs may instead, Submerge in the combat seazone, rather than move away with other retreating forces
    3. The defender may elect to submerge one or more subs, regardless of whether or not there are other types of defending units still on the battle board.

F. Multi-National Forces
    1. Multi-National Forces may not Attack together
    2. Multi-National forces may Defend together.

G. Miscellaneous
    1. Tech doesn’t come into effect until the Mobilize Units Phase
    2. Total Economic Damage to a territory in a single TURN is limited to its IPC value

• LAND COMBAT SEQUENCE

1. Place Units on Battle Board
    2. Conduct Opening Fire
    2a. Roll for any FTR Interceptors (Jet Fighters) - 1st cycle only
    -For SBR and Rocket attacks only. FTRs may still defend against Regular attacks
    -Roll one die/intercepting FTR. Casualties are removed IMMEDIATELY if hit
    2b. Roll for AAGuns - 1st cycle only
    -FTRs, and BMBRs are all rolled separately and removed IMMEDIATELY if hit
    2c. Roll for Bombardment (BBs and Combined Arms DDs) - 1st cycle only
    -Casualties are removed at the end of Opening Fire.
    2d. Roll for any German 88s - 1st cycle only
    -Any attacking Ger 88 RTL roll 1 die @3
    -Casualties are removed at the end of Opening Fire
    3. Remove Opening Fire Casualties
    -Remove all Bombardment and German 88 casualties
    4. Attacking Units Fire
    5. Defending Units Fire
    6. Remove Casualties
    7. Press Attack or Retreat
    8. Capture Territory

NAVAL COMBAT SEQUENCE

1. Place Units on Battle Board
    1a. Declare targets for any Kamis or Kaitens - 1st cycle only
    1b. Attempt Sub Detection - 1st cycle only
    -Each SUB is assigned a DD-to-detect value, starting with a baseline of 3, and taking into account positive modifiers (AIR,LRA,CA) which increase the DD-to-detect value of all SUBs and negative modifiers (SS, Kaitens) which decrease the DD-to-detect value of only certain SUBs. When groups of DDs have different positive modifiers they should be rolled separately. When groups of SUBs have different negative modifiers, it becomes possible that the higher DD-to-detect value group is detected, but not the lower DD-to-detect value group.
    -Roll 1 die for each attacking DD, a roll of the DD-to-detect value or less detects ALL defending SUBs requiring that DD-to-detect value
    -Roll 1 die for each defending DD, a roll of the DD-to-detect value or less detects ALL attacking SUBs requiring that DD-to-detect value
    2. Conduct Opening Fire
    2a. Roll for any FTR Interceptors (Jet Fighters) - 1st cycle only
    -For Kami attacks only. FTRs may still defend against Regular attacks
    -Roll one die/intercepting FTR. Casualties (Kamis) are removed IMMEDIATELY if hit
    2b. Combined Arms BBs - 1st cycle only
    -Kamis, FTRs and BMBRs are all rolled separately and removed IMMEDIATELY if hit
    2c. Roll for Coastal Defense (Atlantic Wall) - 1st cycle only
    -A single Ger RTL in WEur or Norway rolls 1 die @ 2 (3 with Ger 88s)
    -Casualties are removed at the end of Opening Fire
    2d. Roll for Kaitens - 1st cycle only
    -Attacking Kaitens roll 1 die @ 3 (4 with Super Subs)
    -Kaitens and casualties are removed at the end of Opening Fire
    2e. Roll for Kamis - 1st cycle only
    -Attacking Kamis roll 1 die @ 4
    -Kamis and casualties are removed at the end of Opening Fire
    2f. Roll for Regular SUBs (ie. non-Kaiten)
    -Attacking SUBs roll 1 die @ 2 (3 with Super Subs)
    -Defending SUBs roll 1 die @ 2
    -Casualties are removed as per Step 3
    3. Remove Opening Fire Casualties
    -Remove all Kaitens and their casualties (regardless of whether Kaitens were detected or not)
    -Remove all Kamis and their casualties
    -If Attacking SUBs were “Undetected”, remove all their casualties during this step(enemy DD does not cancel this). If “Detected”, their casualties return fire and are removed in step 6.
    -If Defending SUBs were “Undetected”, remove all their casualties during this step(enemy DD does not cancel this). If “Detected”, their casualties return fire and are removed in step 6.
    3a. “Undetected” SUBs may submerge - 1st cycle only
    -Any “Undetected” SUBs not electing to submerge are considered “Detected” at this point
    -Combat resumes as per normal rules from here on out
    4. Attacking Units Fire
    5. Defending Units Fire
    6. Remove Casualties
    7. Press Attack or Retreat
    -SUBs may submerge again here, but since they’re now all “Detected”, enemy DDs can cancel this. As per regular rules, SUBs may also retreat with the rest of your naval vessels.
    8. Occupy SZ

• Variant Designer : Cousin Joe

PlayTesters : The AvalonHill forum members

–----------

Enhanced can be played either face-to-face or by e-mail. If playing by e-mail, you can use either Mapview or ABattlemap, along with the Enhanced module for either program

For Mapview Users:
    Place the file AAREnhanced.udm in the “USERMODS” folder in your Mapview directory. Click on mcmv12.exe, select File, New Game, and then AAR: Enhanced to start playing. If you don’t have Mapview, you can download it here: http://www.motcreations.com/mv_download.html

For ABattlemap Users:
    Unzip the ENH.gim.zip file and place the ENH.gim folder in your ABattlemap directory. Click on ABattlemap.exe, select New, and then Axis & Allies Revised : Enhanced to start playing. If you don’t have ABattlemap, you can download it here: http://www.daak.de/

If you’re looking for Enhanced opponents online, you can look around the AvalonHill site (House Rules), or you can join a PBEM club such as:
    AAMC: http://aamc.net/
    FoE: http://www.flames-of-europe.de

If you really like Enhanced, and think you have the strategic skills to challenge the best, then feel free to participate in the AARe Power Rankings and fight your way to the top for a chance at the AARe Championship Belt.

• ……

……

Here are the formulas:

q = new rank
    r = old rank
    p = opponent’s old rank

LOW player wins:

• high player loses no rank
    • low player’s new rank:
      q = r - (p-r) ^ -0.7 * 0.5 * r ^ 0.8

HIGH player wins:

• low player’s new rank (applies to losing to an opponent 4 or more ranks under)
      q = r + (r-p-3)^0.5

• high player’s new rank:
      q = r - (r-p)^0.2 * (0.6 * r^0.65 + 1.3 / p^0.9)

• all ranks are rounded (0.4xx -> 0 and 0.5xx -> 1)

The general idea:

• play your equals, gain the most rank the most efficient way
    • the lower ranked player can never lose rank
    • the lower your rank the easier it is to gain rank quickly; the further up top the harder to get even higher
    • high ranked players don’t get any point for beating unranked players, or very low ranked players.
    • to be 1 you need to:
      ----- be 2 and beat 4, 3 or 1
      ----- be 3 and beat 2 or 1
      ----- be 4 or 5 and beat 1

• Word version of v 5.0

AARe Enhanced Rules - V5.0.doc

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Nice thread format.

BTW, please tell us WHERE the power rankings are to compete in.  Not that I’m worthy of the top spot, but I’d like to practice against more opponents.

Also, we have 4 players on these boards I know of.  Emperor Mollari, Axis_Roll, Commander Jennifer and Bean.  For anyone who wants to be introduced to this variant of the game. (BTW, the Battlemap for this is awesome, I want to use it for my regular AAR games because it has more information on it, in case you wondered where my endorsement was going!)

For beginners, and trainers, I recommend phasing this game in incrementally.

For instance, try playing with just the new National Advantages first couple of games.  Then add in Convoy Raids and submarine detections in the next game.  Etc.  This way new players will not be over-whelmed right off.

Just a suggestion.

• now that we have a sticky I hope that means AARe is officially present in this forum and official contact for fans is now avaliable

question: are you guys making 6.0? or more like 5.1?

• @tekkyy:

now that we have a sticky I hope that means AARe is officially present in this forum and official contact for fans is now avaliable

question: are you guys making 6.0? or more like 5.1?

I don’t have much/any say in that

However, small changes should not necessitate a new version number.

My guessing is that only 2 NA’s are being slightly tweaked, so it’ll probably be 5.1

But I’ve been wrong before.

Radar and ???

• @Cmdr:

Radar and ???

Yamamotos
    -$1 each one after the first (-$5)

• yeah
    battleships are a bit expensive for Japan’s budget
    so without only an inital discount its not a lasting NA

Hmm.

Honestly, I never see Japan NEEDING a navy.  If they do, the first Yamamoto is about all they ever need.  I don’t see them spending 19 IPC a round on more, if you want my honest opinion.

Perhaps a better benefit would be to give them two shore bombardments each at 5 or less instead of reducing their cost a piddly little 5%?

• yes so we could do something to encourage that kind of game

maybe somehow useful in KJF or something

• @Cmdr:

Hmm.

Honestly, I never see Japan NEEDING a navy.  If they do, the first Yamamoto is about all they ever need.  I don’t see them spending 19 IPC a round on more, if you want my honest opinion.

Perhaps a better benefit would be to give them two shore bombardments each at 5 or less instead of reducing their cost a piddly little 5%?

I do not see any real need for a further tweaking to either Yamamotos or even Radar, IMHO, however, others do.

Regarding a Jap navy… perhaps you haven’t yet experienced a full US on Jap naval battle.  Those are quite a bit of fun, especially with US naval advantage and 2 hit carriers, Japan WILL need to build a navy.

know how much fun they are, Axis.  I do them all the time in KJF games. =)  I’m even known as Die Flottemurder because I seem to get lucky a lot in naval warfare. (Luck, as in 3 submarines vs 3 aircraft carriers with all submarines hitting in the opening fire step, kind of luck!)

Here’s what I was thinking, if they need tweaking:

Yamamotos:

1st Battleship costs 15 IPC
    Battleships with Combined Arms fire AA Guns at 2 (like Radar, it is the same requirement the British need, seems fair)
    Battleships may bombard twice at 4 or less
    Battleships may attack and defend at 5 or less

Atlantic Wall:
    For every Infantry defending in Germany, W. Europe or Norway against DESTROYERS, the defender may roll a die and negate that destroyer’s bombardment on a roll of 1. (This is identical to jets stopping SBR runs and rockets.)

These should encourage more naval battles in the Pacific by buffing up the Yamamoto as well as give Japan a significant advantage if America ignores her.  After all, taking India/Australia/Hawaii will be a snap with 6 battleship bombardments in opening fire!  Hell, Japan could seriously stop a North Africa attack plan iwth that kind of firepower.  As America, I’d seriously consider taking Reinforced Carriers and trying to stop Japan before she got out there to be a nuissance.  But that’s just me.  Not to mention, they’ll be significantly harder to kill in naval warfare since 33% of your airpower will be shot down before the battle. (16% if you get Jets, so at least the Yamamoto cannot be nutralized with a tech.)

Also, you won’t have to adjust Radar since combined arms won’t be a huge deal with the destroyers A) being counterable and B) reduced in number with America going Pacific to stop Japan from taking the world over.  As for the British Battleships killed 33% of attacking fighters, it’s the same as Japan now and still reducable with a simple Jet Power Technology (a tech I like to get for Germany ANYWAY!)

You see, I do not like nerfing something because it’s currently too powerful.  I’d rather buff something else to compensate.  That way you are not hurting someone, you are just helping someone else.

• @Cmdr:

Here’s what I was thinking, if they need tweaking:

Yamamotos:

1st Battleship costs 15 IPC
    Battleships with Combined Arms fire AA Guns at 2 (like Radar, it is the same requirement the British need, seems fair)
    Battleships may bombard twice at 4 or less
    Battleships may attack and defend at 5 or less

The BB aaa @ 2 would be far too powerful

In fact, this capability is being removed from radar (BB aaa’s can not exceed 1)
    In other words, if UK takes radar AND gets Combined Arms, you would not exceed the 1 BB aaa capability

• @axis_roll:

In fact, this capability is being removed from radar (BB aaa’s can not exceed 1)
    In other words, if UK takes radar AND gets Combined Arms, you would not exceed the 1 BB aaa capability

yeah I think thats fair

I’d rather just give Japan the same ability then take an ability away from England.

• @Cmdr:

I’d rather just give Japan the same ability then take an ability away from England.

The point is not to even it out, the point is that BB aaa@2 is too strong.

We don’t want uber weapons as badly as we don’t want uber strats

I don’t think it’s too strong.  I think Dive Bombers are too strong.  Battleships with AA Guns firing at 2 or less (which costs money btw, both for the battleship AND the technology, not to mention the opportunity cost of having to take that specific NA) evens out the Dive Bombers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m