• Buying two units (or three) in Libia is for short term. Can slow a bit the allies, but in the long race, western allies will beat Germany in Africa if Germany only add two units by turn.
    But buying the trannie in Mediterranen sea, you’ll add four units to Africa each turn, so your odds of taking it are greater. It’s a long term strategy. Think those units not only will conquer Africa, they can attack Middle East or even India/Caucasus by land OR make anfibious assault on Caucasus (a powerfull move, many times USSR player won’t notice it, i suffer too much with only two units, but four  :-o )
    The East Indies trannie bid it’s too powerfull too. Negates KGF menacing any indian IC, can conquer Australia on J1  :-o …
    A sub in SZ8 could mean destroing the very two BB England has.
    Even the 3 inf in Ukrania is too powerfull, can put Caucasus in severe danger in the very G1  :-o

• A tran in the med appears to me at least to be overrated. It’s 4 units away from Europe each turn - and considering you’re using up 2-3 inf in 2-3 territories to trade with Russia, and also have to defend W. Europe, it’s quite expensive to try to make use of 4 units down there, even if it’s 4 inf. If the Allies really think you’re being annoying, they’ll send 2-3 rounds of troops down Africa and chase you out, it just seems to me like you can spend a lot of effort with 2 trans and still come up with next to nothing, certainly not enough to make up for the effort you spent.

• My bid is usually 8 IPC and almost always goes to Germany. The possibilities then usually are:

• tank + inf in Lybia
    • tank + inf in UKR

Regarding the TRN in MED I believe that Germany have to minimize the effort in Africa aiming at maximize the gain.
    Is better to leave Africa than to send there 4 units each turn. Germany can not afford that drain of land units.
    So what I do usually is to take Egypt, then blitzing in and out of the surrounding terriories to get control of the Suez canal and stack the units in Egypt, strafing Allied when they enter Lybia (using also the BB shot). I never send more than two inf per turn in Africa (beside the first when I send 1 Tank+1 inf).
    So the TRN in MED may be seen as an added defense for the fleet.

A thing that may be interesting is to bid a TRN in sz5 adn then buying 1 TRN + 9 inf + 1 Tank in G1. I could impose a more defending posture to UK, gaining time for Germany but leaves Africa and Eastern fronte weak. I would like to test it.

IMHO bid to Germany is good for countering KGF and is also useful to give Germany more aggressivity against UK and Russia in KJF, so it seems to me “safer” to give money to Germany.

• @Nix:

Strange that im the only one that think 1 trn SZ37 for japan and 1 ipc to japan is a killer bid.

No, not rly.  I’ve been doing Japan bids for a while.

• I never played ladder games, although I usually play in the lobby.
    With 9 bid for axis (1 unit pr. TT) the axis victory % is 50.9%.
    So a bid of 8 is imo acceptable.

I once tried shipping 4 units a turn from SE to Afr.
    Got killed in Europe…
    US can land 6-8 units by rnd 3 so Afr. is lost anyway, same as with German navy.

• :roll:
    As much a I’ve played the 9 bid, I feel that against the better Allied players, I’m not sure that even 12 will be enough for the Axis with the Ladder restrictions in play. I would play someone I consider to be a weak Allied player with 7 or 8 though. So the amount of the bid really depends on how you rate your opponents capabilities. And that is why we have the bid, and why it should be flexable and not fixed.  :-)
    The other reason for the bid buy is to keep the game from becoming boring with the same starting play every time, so experiment often, you never know just what new tangent the game will go :-D  :-o  :x  :-P  :cry:  :roll:  :wink:  :|
        :roll:

• 12 bid?  :-o destroyer to z8, G1: sub, des z8, fig kar, bomb ger, all of them to Z1 … kaboooom! or fighter in Norway, 1 IPc for Ger, IPC for Japan for the same effect

• please explian ladder bidding .

• Ladder bidding is when you can’t place more than one bid unit in a territory.

For example, you can’t bid 2 inf to Ukraine or Libya using ladder bidding. So if you want to get 2 extra units to help in the Anglo attack, you need a bid of 8 for 1 inf in Libya and 1 arm in Algeria. Anything less means only one unit in Africa that can help attack Anglo.

• With a Jap trans bid in sz60 Jap can do both pearl and take Hawaii, killing a an extra US fighter.
    Never seen this move often though.
    What if Jap places 1 inf each in Kwang, Manc. and Fic,
    Jap may get 9 inf in China J1….

• 1 like teh 1 fighter bid to NOrway. Then germany builds 4 figs rd. 1.  :-o. thats alot of planes.

• @cyan:

1 like teh 1 fighter bid to NOrway. Then germany builds 4 figs rd. 1.  :-o. thats alot of planes.

:-P rofl

• @cyan:

1 like teh 1 fighter bid to NOrway. Then germany builds 4 figs rd. 1.  :-o. thats alot of planes.

I would not give u 10 bid for axis.

• If I am not mistaken, the Ladder uses the FIDA bid system as well, which means you can place a maximum of HALF of the value of the bid as units prior to R1, with the remainder being IPC’s available for G1 and/or J1 purchases.

Thus a 12 bid is only a maximum 2 INF placed at the start of the, with $6 IPC left over.

Sorry, no DST’s or FIGs  :wink:

A&A.org has the least restrictive bid placements that I currently know of, and thus our bids tend to be lower than elsewhere (around $7).

• 2007 AAR League

I don’t suppose people would go for setting a standard bid amount here, at least for tournament / league play? I guess it takes out some of the flexibility, not saying I would necessarily argue for it, just a thought.

Having read that with the Ladder bid the Axis win 50.9% of games, that has a certain attraction.

• 2007 AAR League

@Ender:

Having read that with the Ladder bid the Axis win 50.9% of games, that has a certain attraction.

Yes it has.

I wonder what the %-age would be at A&A.org?

I am still of the opinion that without the FIDA/Ladder system (where half the bid is in cash), bids tend to be a bit lower than they need to be for Axis to be competitive. A bid of 7-8 ipc in starting units just isn’t enough, without the same amount of cash to back it up! (making it a 14-16 ipc bid)

Maybe fullplacement bids work for the really high-level players, who never makes a mistake with the Axis

But for the rest I just feel that the Axis are regularly picking the short straw. One inoptimal move in the East front Trading game, or the Japanese Asian Push Setup  & you’re out…

Thus, here I generally bid around 9-11 ipc, and then I am handed the Allies, when actually it is so much more fun playing the Axis  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

Why do you create the strawman of you being so special? (“strange that I’m the only one”)

If we were used to having such a high bid, maybe we could come up with that as well.

Time to get of your high horses perhaps?

As you´ll see if you look, no one mentioned a bid to japan before me hence my “question”.

I have played a fairly large amount of games and very very rarely seen a bid of any kind to japan.

Bids are getting higher, and if we would use the ladder biding (one unit/territory) we would be in the 8-9 ipc range now i think.

Tournament games in the 2vs2 tournament are fairly high.

• I still have trouble submitting a bid of 8, and I have bid as low as 5 on a regular basis…

So I get the Axis most of the time, and my League win rate is 60%, my overall win rate is nearing 70%

Am I a “high end player”?  Perhaps, but far from perfect, and far from error free; yet I still win as either Axis or Allies with about equal frequency a majority of the time…

• Time to get of your high horses perhaps?

As you´ll see if you look, no one mentioned a bid to japan before me hence my “question”.

Sorry, it was nothing personal Nix. It’s simply a pet peeve of mine when anyone makes themselves look so special. You could have asked the question more neutrally, but instead you chose to ask it in such a manner that makes you look like you’re on a high horse “wow, was I the only one who did this awesome thing with the bid?” is the exact impression that I got from your statement, because it was far too obvious. You could have asked “what do you guys think of this bid” or “how about Japanese bids? they seem to work for me.” Maybe I’m too “sensitive”, but it’s very easy to see how

Strange that im the only one that think

could strike a nerve. No hard feelings, Nix.

• 2007 AAR League

I have bid units to Japan before. An armor in Kwangtung is particularly effective and with a 9 bid like at tripleA, I’d even be inclined to place 1 inf in each of the 3 Asian territories.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m