• I have a few questions on naval bases.  For your ships to move 3 spaces, do you have to move from 1 friendly naval base to another friendly naval base?  Can you move from base to base to do combat, not just non-combat?  To control a naval base, do you have to control the land territory or in some spaces just the convoy route?  Thanks.

• The bonus move is only between friendly bases. You must control the territory the base is in to control the base.

You cannot get the bonus move during combat movement.

• Thanks Frimmel.

• This might sound pretty funny, but can you use more than one naval base or air base? I played the game the other day, and we played that you could move say five spaces with a boat as long as it moved along naval bases. We did more or less the same thing with the fighters, as long as they flew over airbases theoretically they could fly anywhere on the board. Is this drastically wrong?

The game we played was so lopsided towards Japan as it could literally move its fighters and navy units from threat to threat until its navy was virtually wiped out within 3 turns, but during those 3 turns Japan was collecting 4 VPs a go!

• @General:

This might sound pretty funny, but can you use more than one naval base or air base? I played the game the other day, and we played that you could move say five spaces with a boat as long as it moved along naval bases. We did more or less the same thing with the fighters, as long as they flew over airbases theoretically they could fly anywhere on the board. Is this drastically wrong?

The game we played was so lopsided towards Japan as it could literally move its fighters and navy units from threat to threat until its navy was virtually wiped out within 3 turns, but during those 3 turns Japan was collecting 4 VPs a go!

I think you answered your own question.  :wink:

Yes, it is drastically wrong.

However it is your game and I think folks are free to make up any house rules they want.  :-)

• Haha it wasn’t a house rule, the rules manual doesn’t say anywhere u can only use one naval or air port!!! It just uses one example where you can move three spaces. Ridiculous explanation in the manual i think. Thanks for the clarification Frimmel.

• Official Q&A

From page 12:

Aircraft flying to or from a territory with a friendly airbase do not have to use up one movement to go between the territory and the sea zone in which the base is situated, or adjacent to.

From page 24:

During the Non-combat Movement phase, naval units moving from a sea zone containing a friendly naval base to another sea zone containing a friendly naval base may move three spaces instead of two.

These passages seem pretty straightforward to me.  Planes are allowed to not use a movement point to enter or leave a friendly air base by sea.  This doesn’t change the fact that fighters are limited to four movement points, and bombers are limited to six.  I don’t see how that can translate into unlimited movement.  Passing through a sea zone with a friendly island air base will cost one movement point whether you pass through the island or not.

As for ships, it clearly extends their movement by exactly one sea zone, to three sea zones.  Again, I don’t see how this can be extended any further.

• Well all I can say is, whoever works at Harris Design that made those particular instruction pages, deserves a butt wooping.

Only Kidding, haha. Your right as usual Krieghund, the rules are pretty clear.

• @Krieghund:

From page 12:

Aircraft flying to or from a territory with a friendly airbase do not have to use up one movement to go between the territory and the sea zone in which the base is situated, or adjacent to.

From page 24:

During the Non-combat Movement phase, naval units moving from a sea zone containing a friendly naval base to another sea zone containing a friendly naval base may move three spaces instead of two.

These passages seem pretty straightforward to me.  Planes are allowed to not use a movement point to enter or leave a friendly air base by sea.  This doesn’t change the fact that fighters are limited to four movement points, and bombers are limited to six.  I don’t see how that can translate into unlimited movement.  Passing through a sea zone with a friendly island air base will cost one movement point whether you pass through the island or not.

As for ships, it clearly extends their movement by exactly one sea zone, to three sea zones.  Again, I don’t see how this can be extended any further.

I get the point that ships can only move at most three spaces but it does seem a little misleading.

“During the non-combat movement phase, navel units moving from a sea zone containing a friendly navel base to another sea zone containing a friendly navel base may move three spaces instead of two.”  (Here’s where I see confusion.)  Moving to a third sea zone containing a friendly navel base may move four spaces instead of three.  Moving to a fourth sea zone containing a friendly navel base may move five spaces instead of four…

You see where I’m going with this.

Ships are limited to a maximum of three spaces.

That would have been clearer.

LT

• Official Q&A

@LT04:

I get the point that ships can only move at most three spaces but it does seem a little misleading.

“During the non-combat movement phase, navel units moving from a sea zone containing a friendly navel base to another sea zone containing a friendly navel base may move three spaces instead of two.”  (Here’s where I see confusion.)  Moving to a third sea zone containing a friendly navel base may move four spaces instead of three.  Moving to a fourth sea zone containing a friendly navel base may move five spaces instead of four…

You see where I’m going with this.

You’re reading way too much into this.  The rule specifically says that the ships’ movement is increased to three spaces, not that their movement is increased by one space, so it doesn’t necessarily follow that moving to another base will add another space of movement.  Plus, the rule says that you get the extra movement by moving to the sea zone with the base, not through it.  “To” indicates that that’s where the movement ends.

• Thanks Krieghund.

That is the best explination I have ever heard for that.  I will have to print it and pass it along.

I’d + 1 ya but I’m spent for another 7 hours and 50ish minutes.

I’ll get you tomorrow.

LT

• I really like naval bases, :-DI like to built about 6-12 subs on the west Coast on my first few turns and it’s really nice when I advance my carrier task force from Hawaii to the Marshalls, I like sending some of my subs to Midway to keep the Japs from going around my force and taking Pearl. :-DAnd the Naval base really helps there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m