New poster, need help with combat rules clarification please

• My friend and I we’re playing in a rather heated revised game and ran into a rules question during the combat phase.  I was playing Axis and was on the offensive.  The situation was that I had control of Caucuses and a 2nd force in Eastern Europe.  He had an army in Russia and a 2nd army in West Russia.  During combat I committed forces to West Russia and the result was that it became an unoccupied hostile territory.  I then tried to attack Russia with my forces in Caucuses and some tanks that I had held out of the first battle in Eastern Europe.  He claims that I cannot use the tanks “because all combat takes place at the same time” and that I cannot cross his territory b/c it was occupied at the start of the combat phase.  I believe that the combat phase is a series of sequenced attacks and the attacker chooses the order of the attacks.  That according to the rules each attack is resolved completely before the next attack occurs. Since the first battle was resolved the tank should be able to blitz and join then next battle in Russia while claiming the unoccupied hostile territory.  We’ve read the LHTR  and have been unable  to  resolve this.  Could anyone please assist us that is neutral in this.

• 2007 AAR League

Your friend is right.

• All combat moves are commited at once. You determine where you will attack and with what. The attacker decides which battle will be fought first and as soon as dice hit the table that is it– no going back and no changing your mind. You must fight at least one round in each of your declared combats.

Each combat is finished-- defender destroyed, attacker retreats, both destroyed before you move to the next one. Where there are fights and what will fight must be determined first.

@texlawman:

…unoccupied hostile territory.  I then tried to attack Russia with my forces in Caucuses and some tanks that I had held out of the first battle …
    Since the first battle was resolved the tank should be able to blitz and join then next battle in Russia while claiming the unoccupied hostile territory.

This is not a legal move. That tank has missed its chance at combat this turn.

• All combat mvoes are declared at once, and with the exception of an amphibious assault after a naval battle in the adjacent sea zone, NO combat is allowed where movement through a combat declared territory is required (with the exception of Panzerblitz NA if memory serves, but I will allow others with more National Advantages experience to confirm that as I have never played a game using them).

• 2007 AAR League

Yep, all combat moves are made before combat dice are rolled.  Even though each combat is rolled sequentially, they are understood to happen all at the same time.  Your friend is right.  This time.

• @ncscswitch:

All combat mvoes are declared at once, and with the exception of an amphibious assault after a naval battle in the adjacent sea zone, NO combat is allowed where movement through a combat declared territory is required (with the exception of Panzerblitz NA if memory serves, but I will allow others with more National Advantages experience to confirm that as I have never played a game using them).

Nope - Panzerblitz NA merely allows attacking German tanks (that survived a combat in which all defenders were destroyed in the first cycle of combat) to make a non-combat move of 1 space (following normal non-combat movement rules otherwise) during the Non-combat movement (NCM) phase.  (This is not allowed without the NA - once a land (or sea) unit has been involved in combat, it may not move during NCM)

~Josh

• Ah, I knew i needed an NA expert on that one :-)

So there is NO exception to the combat territory rule then.  Thank you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m