• Hey.

I have recently bought AA42, and after I have read the rules I got some questions. Can infantry alone beat fighters/bombers? So if I shall attack or defensive against infantries I shall not only use fighters/bombers?

Is the original map to small? I found a new map to AA42 on this forum, but i cost me 75 dollar to print it out to A1 paper. Can I buy other maps to AA42 on internet which is cheaper?

• Welcome to the forum xerez99!

Regarding your infantry question:

Infantry hit on a roll of 1 (or 2 if supported by artillery) out of 6, but defend at 2 (defends at 1,2 out of 6)

ftrs attack at 3 (hits on 1,2, or 3 out of 6) but defend at 4 (defends at 1,2,3, or 4 out of 6)

bmbs attack at 4 but defend at 1.

Any unit can be hit during a battle except cruisers and battleships that are bombarding during a amphibious assault and also subs (but that’s a little complicated and depends on the situation).

So infantry can attack and take out ftrs and bmbs but it depends on the battle and the odds.

I would suggest if you are using ftrs and bmbs for attack and defense, use or leave enough infantry to absorb hits as you mentioned in your post.

Example:

Ukr has 2 Russian inf, you as Germany want to take it back lightly as W Rus and Cau is heavily defended, if you hit it heavy, all your German units will die when Russia counterattacks so you would send at least 3 inf, ftrs and bmbs to take it back.

Worst case scenario is that Russia will get two hits and you lose 2 inf but still have a chance to take back Ukr (assuming you had two hits for Germany on round 1, if not Germany should withdraw as there is a chance that Germany might lose ftrs or bmbs).

AA is a war game but also a game of economics, you can’t be losing ftrs and bmbs while the enemy loses inf…

The AA42 map is too small but it’s still playable but you need to be careful where the units are especially Europe and Atlantic.

• Thanks, then I will never attack infantries/tanks with only fighers/bombers.

Where can I buy additional maps? To print the map to A1 cost me 75 dollars and A2 cost me 35 dollars, and I think it is to expensive.

• You’re welcome.  Yes please don’t do that.

As for maps, unless you have a friend with a plotter, not sure, I’m still trying to figure out the same thing also.

Will let you know if I find a cheaper alternative.

+1 karma to you xerez99, hope you find this site informative.

• Its not “too small” for a begginer, Save your money. If you find out you like this game. I recomend getting the one coming out this december. Its going to be part of a two part series and youll find the map (just pacific) is larger than your current one. The two together will more than likely take up your ENTIRE kitchen table.

• idk_iam_swiss, please try to setup the AA1942 board and play it as is, you will see by round 3 there is not enough space in Europe for all your units.  I meant small to mean that the actual territories (map size) are too small to place all your units, look at the size of the bombers alone.  I’m pretty sure that’s why IL made the map.  I could be wrong.  But the few times our group has played it that and running out of Japanese armor was our biggest gripe.  We ended up using German armor as Japanese with a flag underneath it.  Come on 8 Japanse armor?  What was WotC/AH thinking?

@idk_iam_swiss:

Its not “too small” for a begginer, Save your money. If you find out you like this game. I recomend getting the one coming out this december. Its going to be part of a two part series and youll find the map (just pacific) is larger than your current one. The two together will more than likely take up your ENTIRE kitchen table.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m