• '10

1. If an air attack is made on a hex containing only supplies is 1 die rolled for AA?

2. If 3 AA hits 4,4,4 are made against an attacking group of 3 planes is only the plane in the first slot is destroyed and there is no effect on the other 2 ?

3. If I eliminate all the defenders  of Bastogne during combat and occupy it during movement can:
            A. offboard supplies and units reinforce it if on trucks?
            B. should I choose to blitz my armor can they occupy the next town (Neufchateau , La Roche) if the roads are open and there are no enemy zocs?  (my understanding is they can move only 1 additional hex)

• @Battlingmaxo:

1. If an air attack is made on a hex containing only supplies is 1 die rolled for AA?

Yes

2. If 3 AA hits 4,4,4 are made against an attacking group of 3 planes is only the plane in the first slot is destroyed and there is no effect on the other 2 ?

Correct

3. If I eliminate all the defenders  of Bastogne during combat and occupy it during movement can:
            A. offboard supplies and units reinforce it if on trucks?
            B. should I choose to blitz my armor can they occupy the next town (Neufchateau , La Roche) if the roads are open and there are no enemy zocs?  (my understanding is they can move only 1 additional hex)

A) Yes
    B) Map is fuzzy in my head (stupid allergy meds) but if you move armor into Bastogne the only blitz into a town is Ortheuville. No matter the case your understanding of one additional hex after they would normally have to stop is correct and they would have to stop in Bastogne if you just cleared it.

• '10

If  I chose to burn an additional token couldnt I advance 1 hex past  Bastogne with the armor units which just took it? Also if reinforecements burn a token can they blitz  1 hex past Bastogne as well ?

• @Battlingmaxo:

If  I chose to burn an additional token couldnt I advance 1 hex past  Bastogne with the armor units which just took it? Also if reinforecements burn a token can they blitz  1 hex past Bastogne as well ?

Yes a blitz move would give a tank that entered Bastogne one hex past.

Reinforcing (offboard) tanks can spend one off board supply token for a blitz.

Reinforcements on trucks can not blitz.

• Official Q&A

I’ll just add here that in order to claim a city hex or a hex with enemy trucks and/or supplies, you must have one of your combat units in the hex when the front lines are moved.  Just moving through such a hex isn’t enough to gain control of it.

In your example, if only tanks took Bastogne, at least one would have to stay there while the others blitzed on.  Otherwise Bastogne would remain under Allied control even though it was now behind the front lines.  See the figure at the bottom of page 22 in the Operations Manual for an example.

• '10

Thanks guys….I’m sure I’ll have other questions as I play more.

• '10

Assuming no enemy units or zocs are in the way a units road  movement(tanks/trucks) would only be limited by the zoc of the first enemy town it encounters regardless of the number of hexes it is from the front line markers.

Also for an unoccupied enemy town is the zoc only the town hex?

So far I like this game alot but is difficult to stop the Germans

• Official Q&A

@Battlingmaxo:

Assuming no enemy units or zocs are in the way a units road  movement(tanks/trucks) would only be limited by the zoc of the first enemy town it encounters regardless of the number of hexes it is from the front line markers.

Correct.

@Battlingmaxo:

Also for an unoccupied enemy town is the zoc only the town hex?

Towns don’t actually exert a zone of control.  Enemy-controlled towns do stop movement when their hex is entered, but they don’t do any of the other things that a combat unit’s zone of control does, such as stop units from retreating into them.

@Battlingmaxo:

The Allies do have a steeper learning curve.  There are some strategy articles at the AH website:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20070611a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20070618a
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20070625a

Also, Frimmel has written some nice ones on this site:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/taxonomy/term/54

• @Battlingmaxo:

Try to give your defense some depth as the Allies especially along the Stadtkyll to Werbomont road. Don’t throw everything into the front line. The Axis are going to gain ground. At the places where the Axis is really going to pound you another unit on the line is less valuable than one behind it.

You are working your units back to a line from Eupen to La Roche to Bastogne to Martelange.

• '10

Yes, my thought was to play a third game with an allied defense based on depth. The past game I placed most  of the reinforecements close to the front so I could counterattack at every opportunity to denude the spearheads and make the Germans  burn supplies to advance their retreated units. This worwithdrawked well on the north and southern ends. Bastogne fell on turn 6 however in the center of the board the Germans took La Roche and Marche on turn 8. It does seem like  the allied units at the front get wasted when attacked with 16+. I’m even wondering if I pays to withdraw any surviving units on turn to better positions. I will look at the posts you listed.

• Official Q&A

Yes, but the problem with that approach is that the Germans advance and take victory points without the expenditure of supplies for attacking or the loss of combat troops, leaving them with greater resources when the battle is finally joined.

• Krieg is correct. The Allies can’t stand toe to toe with the Axis but neither can they simply pick up and run.

What you will find with the retreat option is you’ve given lots of ground for no units or supplies. You still come to a spot where your back is up against the wall and while you have a continuous line you are not strong enough to stop the still full strength Axis and any breathrough puts them over the top.

At Bastogne for example the Axis will have enough supplies if you’ve been retreating for Axis units to split their attacks between the forces directly in front of them and the units in Bastogne.

“Keep burning up their gas.”

• Try to maintain a continuous line. If you create ‘hardspots’ where the Axis can get ZOC on the hexes your units need for retreating you’ll find your tactical retreat hasn’t preserved anything.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m