• Is it possible to travel through time?

Well, travelling forward in time is something we always do. You can increase the speed you travel forward in time through motion, you gain about 10 Nanoseconds of time from an airline flight. You can even gain minutes in the Space Shuttle.

However, how about backwards in time? I think its possible, somehow, and heres why. Think of time as an infinate conveyour belt, always moving forward at a constand speed. If you take a step forward, your slightly ahead of time. We can step forward, for example 10 nanoseconds forward during that airline flight.

But how about backwards? Taking a step back isn’t as easy, we haven’t been able to find a way to do it yet. Heres my theory. If your on that same conveyour belt, and you jumped up, where would you land? You’d land backwards in time. The more time you stand suspended in the air, the more of the conveyour belt that passes you by.

So, if we can find some way to, well, stop time, we can move backwards in it. How do you stop time? I don’t know, theres numerous theories, stretching from using a worm hole, to lowering your temperature to abosolute zero.

What do you guys think about the subject?

It’s been a while since I’ve had physics so bare with me.
    But if I remember correctly if you are on a conveyour belt and do jump straight up you are still traveling at the speed of the conveyour belt and will land roughly in the spot you started.
    Much like jumping up in a plane (although I’ve never tried) you’ll not go flying back and hit the back of the plane-you’re still traveling at the speed of the plane so you’ll land where you started from.

Plus if you could travel back in time, I think someone would have done it by now (that is someone in the future, well our future) and someone would’ve have seen someone or their would be evidence in our past that someone from 100, 1000, 5000, heck a million years from now has traveled back. Plus you can’t forget the possibility that you could wipe out your own existance.

• Doubtful. However, some scientists have said that if you went inside a spinning black hole you would perceive time outside going backwards. The only trouble is that neither you nor any messages you sent home would ever be able to escape from the black hole.

• what about using worm holes?

• Uh, worm holes are used for SPACE travel NOT TIME travel.

• Traveling at lightspeed (hyperdrive) is in theory time travel in the past, where the system is set to make up lost time traveling the great distances. To an observer, you’d leave an area in one place only to re-appear in another an instant later. Obviously, technology WAY beyond ours, but a nice thought…

• worm holes make you go a shorter distance so it appers that you are going faster, going into the futare.

• Well time is affected by large masses (gravity) in space. However, I don’t think you can travel backwards?

• Very mind-boggling topic…

• Seems like someone called for a physicist :)

. You can increase the speed you travel forward in time through motion, you gain about 10 Nanoseconds of time from an airline flight.

Sorry, that is wrong. You lose time, when travelling at high speeds. “Your” time is slower than the time “outside”. So, you are a few nanoseconds younger than you should be, when oyu leave the plane.

If your on that same conveyour belt, and you jumped up, where would you land? You’d land backwards in time.

DM already answered this one, and he/she is right.

what about using worm holes?

Uh, worm holes are used for SPACE travel NOT TIME travel.

Actually, space and time cannot be seen without the other. If you can travel faster than the speed of light, you travel backwards in time.
    Imagine: You sit on the earth, and send a light/radio pulse towards another planet (say, 1 ly away).
    You then travel instantanously to that planet (with a wormhole, whatever). You then know what will happen in the future there: e.g. a light/radio pulse arriving in one year.
    Therefore, you traveled back in time.
    Just like Geze said.

Traveling at lightspeed (hyperdrive) is in theory time travel in the past, where the system is set to make up lost time traveling the great distances. To an observer, you’d leave an area in one place only to re-appear in another an instant later. Obviously, technology WAY beyond ours, but a nice thought…

Whereas travel at speed of light and beyond speed of light (hyperdrive :) ) have to be distuingished (sp?). If you travel at the speed of light, the “flow of time” for you is stopped. So, you arrive somewhere else (together with any pulses you have sent), but not in the future. You will not have aged though, for you the travel just took “an instant”.

worm holes make you go a shorter distance so it appers that you are going faster, going into the futare.

Well time is affected by large masses (gravity) in space. However, I don’t think you can travel backwards?

Worm-holes are theoretical things, kind of made up by connecting two black holes to each other.
    Therefore, you could travel faster than a lightpulse through the usual space-time to the same destination, that effectivly would be time travel.
    (but if you travel back, you don’t arrive earlier than you started, so some of the paradoxa against time travel don’t hold).
    With a single black hole, you can’t travel backwards, you can just cange the “speed” of your time, not the direction.

Very mind-boggling topic…

Not at all :) :)

• So once we figure out how to turn our bodies into pure energy, kinda like Star Trek, then we can figure how to laser ourselves back in time across the universe. Is that a valid concept in any pissicists mind? :P
    Just axin’! :wink: - Xi

• Worm-holes are theoretical things, kind of made up by connecting two black holes to each other.
    Therefore, you could travel faster than a lightpulse through the usual space-time to the same destination, that effectivly would be time travel.
    (but if you travel back, you don’t arrive earlier than you started, so some of the paradoxa against time travel don’t hold).
    With a single black hole, you can’t travel backwards, you can just cange the “speed” of your time, not the direction.

Wormholes will just cut the amount amount of time spent traveling - I don’t see traveling backwards into time (cerca 1000 BC). There is, of course, no experimental confirmation that such wormholes exist, or that any finite-sized body could take the short-cut without being torn apart if they do.

• @Xi:

So once we figure out how to turn our bodies into pure energy, kinda like Star Trek, then we can figure how to laser ourselves back in time across the universe. Is that a valid concept in any pissicists mind? :P
    Just axin’! :wink: - Xi

Not back in time. You could go at the speed of light. You would for yourself travel instantanous, but never back. And of course, if you go go back and forth somewhere, at that starting and ending point the flow of time would go its usual way.
    Example: You travel one lightyear, stay there a second, and travel back.
    Then all you noticed is the one second you stayed, while at the starting/arriving point, two years and a second have passed.

• @TG:

Wormholes will just cut the amount amount of time spent traveling - I don’t see traveling backwards into time (cerca 1000 BC). There is, of course, no experimental confirmation that such wormholes exist, or that any finite-sized body could take the short-cut without being torn apart if they do.

You can’t go back in time and stay at the same place, as mentioned above.
    Unless of course, if you use a wormhole, and this wormhole connects two places in space time in a special manner, then you could.
    That special manner would be: the exit point must be further back in time than the amount of time you need to travel (with speed of light) from there to the entrance along the “normal space”.

And, well, if wormholes are made up of two black holes, then traveling those will be sightly more difficult than all Star Trek technology :)

• @F_alk:

Example: You travel one lightyear, stay there a second, and travel back. Then all you noticed is the one second you stayed, while at the starting/arriving point, two years and a second have passed.

Does anybody really know what time it is!? (or is it ?!)

This time and or time/space travel Sci-Fi technology was the part with which I always had trouble. For example, if I were to travel in time and space from here to Beta Centauri :P 100 years in the past. How do I account for the movement of the target’s rotation in space, revolution around its’ star, movement through space caused by nearby celestial bodies ( :P woo woo) and the expansion/contraction of the universe, etc.? Even worse, if I travel into the future, I may not be able to account for an asteroid striking the planet. No planet? I cannot even drop a coupla inches I was off target. Or into the past, if I time travel past an asteroid striking the Earth, I might materialize inside the planet … buried alive … or would it be materializes with dirt in my lungs, bowels and other body cavities. :oops: Oow! - Xi

• You got a point, a Black Hole’s gravity is so strong not even light can escape it, right? Speaking from 8th Grade Physics here.

• Unless of course, if you use a wormhole, and this wormhole connects two places in space time in a special manner, then you could.

And where would you find enough antigravity to keep the well open, let alone fit a spaceship through it? Sorry, there are better means then using wormholes if we’re talking about time travel.

You can’t go back in time and stay at the same place, as mentioned above.

Exactly.

You got a point, a Black Hole’s gravity is so strong not even light can escape it, right? Speaking from 8th Grade Physics here.

I dunno, us Californians aren’t very smart - at least that’s what standards show. :-?

• GO jump in a black hole! - Xi

• @Xi:

Does anybody really know what time it is!? (or is it ?!)

This time and or time/space travel Sci-Fi technology was the part with which I always had trouble. For example, if I were to travel in time and space from here to Beta Centauri :P 100 years in the past. How do I account for the movement of the target’s rotation in space, revolution around its’ star, movement through space caused by nearby celestial bodies ( :P woo woo) and the expansion/contraction of the universe, etc.?

We do have a picture of what time is, and up to now it serves us pretty well. Actually, we have several pictures, and all serve well in some accounts, but they are not fully compatible :D

So, if you move to Beta Centauri….
    You need of course to calculate where the star will be etc etc, probably, you would travel “close” to it (at max speed), and do the final maneuvers at “impluse drive” :), much slower.

Even worse, if I travel into the future, I may not be able to account for an asteroid striking the planet.

Well, you need to know what will happen, as said above. Fortunately asteroids do not come out of nowhere, so if you know when and where they are, you can navigate around it. …
    But yes, having that computational power and first of all the data you need (seeing asteroids there from here) would be yet another task to solve :D

@Yanny:

You got a point, a Black Hole’s gravity is so strong not even light can escape it, right? Speaking from 8th Grade Physics here.

Yup. Nothing / nothing useful (that is being discussed, wether there can be some kind of information leakage or not) can escape a black hole.

@TG:

Unless of course, if you use a wormhole, and this wormhole connects two places in space time in a special manner, then you could.

And where would you find enough antigravity to keep the well open, let alone fit a spaceship through it? Sorry, there are better means then using wormholes if we’re talking about time travel.

Ach…. that’s “just” some practical questions. In theory, you just pull out your cool device that does what you need, and go on :D…
    But, I am an experimentalist, and you are absolutely right with the first. For the second, i don’t believe that there are other ways, which means: i don’t believe we could travel in time.

• The Xi Hole [not Pi Hole](Rainbow Plumbing) Hypothesis -

I) There are multiple hole (let us not limit ourselves to calling them black) entrances leading to the same destination. These multiple holes lead to a system we shall, henceforth, refer to as “Rainbow Plumbing.” Matter(asteroids, spacecraft, humans [all lifeforms would refer to themselves as humans in translation], light, etc., passing through a black hole merges with anti-matter entering the rainbow plumbing by another entrance we shall, for the moment, refer to as a “fuscia hole” to the rainbow plumbing. This intake by the rainbow plumbing must be a near 50/50 balance of matter and anti-matter.
    a) There may be multiple (two or more) entrances to the rainbow plumbing from the matter and anti-matter universes.
    b) There may be multiple (two or more) matter and anti-matter universes feeding the rainbow plumbing.
    –------------------------------------
    Submitted for your consideration,
    this date of October 2, 2002,
    your humble savant,

• Xi

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m