• 2007 AAR League

Hey gang, I have a job interview Friday for a job to start after articling. It’s pretty much my dream firm in this city, so this is the one I hope to get.

• '19 Moderator

I’m pretty sure I don’t know what your talking aboot, but good luck anyway. :)

• 2007 AAR League

Sorry, could have been clearer.

I finished law school last spring and right now am in my “articling year” which basically means work for very little money while you also do the bar admission course. My office is small and can’t keep me on afterward, so I need to find another law firm to work for starting in June.

This firm is also a small one but with a good reputation, and their articling student is earning about 40% more than me right now, so the 1st year associate salary should definitely be a step up. I think I have a good shot at it but I don’t know what the competition is.

• '19 Moderator

Ah… a better company with a raise.  Well good luck indeed.

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah, I’m pulling in $25k right now - a lawyer at the Public Interest Law Centre in Winnipeg and one on Wall Street are two very different things lol. It’s a good firm too but barely paying the bills…

• 2007 AAR League

good luck. we all deserve to be rich,happy, and properous.  provided we work hard enough.

• 2007 AAR League

Well thanks!  :-)

• Go to it man!

• @froodster:

Yeah, I’m pulling in $25k right now - a lawyer at the Public Interest Law Centre in Winnipeg and one on Wall Street are two very different things lol. It’s a good firm too but barely paying the bills…

Hey, Froodster, is that in Canadian dollars?  If so, ouch, you DO need the raise.

LOL,

WG

P.S. – Good luck  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

Actually, it’s Canadian Tire™ money  :-D (Canadian Tire is a Automotive/camping/sporting goods store and they give you Canadian Tire money when you shop there)

• 2007 AAR League

Good Luck!

And good luck with the raise.  It’s amazing the wage disparity in different parts of the country.  My wife used to live in Sault St. Marie and when she transferred offices to Guelph her salary almost doubled.  And the two cities are only an 8 hour car drive apart!

Of course, when you compare the real-estate markets in the two cities, you need to make twice as much here just to afford the same size house…

• @rjclayton:

Good Luck!

And good luck with the raise.  It’s amazing the wage disparity in different parts of the country.  My wife used to live in Sault St. Marie and when she transferred offices to Guelph her salary almost doubled.  And the two cities are only an 8 hour car drive apart!

Of course, when you compare the real-estate markets in the two cities, you need to make twice as much here just to afford the same size house…

yeah
    i don’t complain about the salary differential between here (Winnipeg) and Calgary as much given that my current home cost about a third of what a similar home in Calgary would cost . . . .

Anyway - all the best Dan.  It’ll be nice to not be “articling” anymore - i’m sure you guys have the equivalent scut work that residents have . . . it’ll be nice to be on the other side of that.

Yeah man, Good Luck!

• Aye, Good Luck. Knock 'em dead.

• So… HOW DID IT GO???

• '19 Moderator

Yeah, don’t leave us hangin’

• :?

:-D?

:cry:?

• 2007 AAR League

:-)

Sorry y’all. I personally feel like the interview went really well. Felt a pretty good rapport with the interviewers and they seemed to like my marks and my resume. Also, I am not aware of any serious competition for the job - most of my fellow graduates who had good marks have jobs that are likely to continue, whereas I knew going into my articles that there was no chance of employment after the articling year because it is such a small office.

They said they would decide by the end of the month and I haven’t heard anything yet. I’ll be sure to let you know when I do.

• I hope you get it!

• 2007 AAR League

So I heard via my boss (who gave me a good reference) that they really liked my application but were concerned about my lack of actual advocacy experience (court time, basically). So at least if I don’t get it I’ll know why.

In the meantime they have re-advertised the job (with a note attached saying “Hiring decisions are being made right now”) and told me that they are still very interested in my application and that I should let them know if I need a decision from them (ie. have another offer). I think I may have been their only application so they just want to see if anyone else might be out there. So if no one better turns up they might still hire me. Leaves a bad taste but it’s true that I don’t have some of the experience they want.

Oh well. In the meantime I will be applying elsewhere and maybe I’ll have another offer before they come back to me, and then I can stick it to them…

Actually another job just opened up that would be right up my alley - with the constitutional law branch of the provincial government. Only problem is they want 5 years experience, but they may not get such a person. Can’t hurt to try anyway.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m