Old Classic variant I found from 1997, "Solve your history problems!"

• A while back I bought a used copy of A&A Classic. At first expecting just a normal old second edition copy, I discovered many happy surprises inside including two copies of Classic in one box, a copy of A&A Enhanced Realism Rules, and many notes of custom variants. This is variant stood out in particular as it appears to be a variant the original owner found online. I tried to find the original source without luck. So I painfully retyped it and decided to post it here. Without further ado, here is the variant!

Subj: Solve your history problems!
    Date: 97-08-27 13:49:08 EDT

Hello Folks.
    I just discovered this folder and agree that A&A’s largest flaw lies in its failure to depict the Second World War historically accurate. Indeed, I find myself NOT playing the standard A&A simply because I cringe at the idea of wasting time “reliving” a war that never really happened or that never COULD have happened. Still, the A&A game “engine” is too ingenious to let go… and so I have taken on the task of creating a variant, using the standard A&A map board and all its rules (with 4 additional), that accurately depicts the military conflicts in WWII.

To start with, this Variant puts you at the first days of the war, well before the Axis make their biggest mistakes (ie. Pearl Harbor, Barbarossa). Round 1 of the game represents the months March to May of 1940, after Hitlers successful conquest of Poland (each following round represents a season of three months). and at the time of his invasion of France (to be carried out by the player if desired). Meanwhile, in the Pacific, Japan is struggling to find the resources to maintain its grand fleet and newborn Industrialized island. Tensions are growing between the infant superpower and the United States. Navy Commanders debate amongst eachother on how to “handle” their diplomatic and natural resource crisis. 3 years into a very fruitful Sino-Japanese war, the rising sun has established a strong presence in Manchuria and occupied major coastal cities deep into Kwatung. Hopefully these conquests will prove enough to sustain a greater Japanese Empire.

RULES
    All standard rules apply to variant accept where follows.

1. Nuetrality
      Certain powers have signed Nuetrality Treaties which are violated when one member of the pact attacks or files over a territory OWNED by the nuetral power or attacks a SZ occupied by ONLY nuetral ships. Emphasize the word OWNED… if a player attacks nuetral units outside their home territories no violation has occured. For example suppose American soldiers move into the Soviet Far East as added protection against the Japanese (who have signed a nuetrality agreement with the US) and the Japanese proceed to attack that territory, no breach of terms has been made since the US does not OWN the invaded land. When ever a treaty is broken, the transgressor must pay a ONE TIME violation fee. Allies must pay 12 for breaking treaty, Axis powers must pay 3. The following treaties exist at the beginning of the game:

USSR:Germany
    USSR:Japan
    USA:Japan

Treaties are never mended or made during the game. Once broken they are permanently VOID.

1. Industrial Complexes
      The only Industrial Complexes which have infinite production capacity are those located in CAPITOLS… others can only produce per turn a number of units equal to the income of the home territory.

2. Starting Treasury
      All nations start with 24 treasury regardless of actual income.

3. Total War Economy
      The Axis powers have the advantage of a TOTAL WAR ECONOMY which means that in round 1, they both collect income at the end of their turns as usual while the Allies may only collect 24 IPC’s… this only lasts for one round.

FOR STARTING POSITIONS… READ NEXT EMAIL

Subj: Starting Positions
    Date: 97-08-27 13:50:32 EDT

STARTING POSITIONS:
    GERMANY
    Germany: 5 inf, 5 arm, 3 ftrs, 2 bmbrs, 1 AA, 1 IC, 1 battleship, 2 trans, 1 sub
    Southern Europe: 3 inf, 3 arm, 1 AA, 1 IC, 1 battleship, 2 trans
    Libya: 2 inf
    Eastern Africa: 1 marker, 1 inf
    Western Canada: 1 sub
    Spain: 1 sub

JAPAN
    Japan: 5 inf, 1 arm, 2 ftrs, 1 bmbr, 1 AA, 1 IC, 2 Battleships, 2 trans
    Manchuria: 3 inf, 1 arm, 1 ftrs, 1 IC
    Kwatung: 4 inf
    Okinawa: 1inf
    Phillipines: 1 battleship
    Solomon Islands: 1 sub
    Sov Far East: 1 sub
    Carolines: 1 ftr*, 1 AC

UNITED KINGDOM
    UK: 2 inf, 1 armor, 2 ftrs, 1 bmbr, 1 AA, 1 IC, 2 battleships, 2 trns, 1 sub
    India: 2 inf, 1 IC
    Finland: 1 marker
    Western Europe: 1 marker, 4 inf, 1 armor
    Algeria: 1 marker
    Egypt: 1 inf, 1 armor
    Algeria: 1 marker, 1 inf
    Kenya: 1 inf
    South Africa: 1 inf
    Syria: 1 inf
    Indochina: 2 inf
    Indonesia: 1 marker
    Borneo: 1 marker
    New Guinea: 1 marker, 1 inf
    Solomons: 1 marker
    Carolines: 1 marker
    Eastern Canada: 1 armor
    Australia: 2 inf
    Gibraltar: 1 battleship, 1 trn
    Eastern Med: 1 sub

SOVIET UNION
    Moscow: 5 inf, 1 arm, 1 AA, 1 IC
    Karelia: 2 inf, 1 arm, 1 ftr, 1 IC
    Caucusus: 2 inf
    Kazack: 1 inf
    Evenki: 1 inf
    Yakut: 2 inf
    Sov Far East: 1 inf, 1 arm
    Persia: 1 marker
    Ukraine: 1 inf
    Eastern Europe: 2 inf

United States:
    Eastern US: 2 inf, 1 arm, 1 AA, 1 IC, 1 trn
    Western US: 2 inf, 1 ftr, 1 AA, 1 IC, 1 AC, 1 trn
    Alaska: 1 inf
    Wake Islanda: 1 marker
    Hawii: 1 inf, 1 ftr, 2 battleship, 1 sub, 1 trn
    Midway Island: 1 inf
    China: 3 inf
    Sikang: 1 inf
    Phillipines: 1 marker, 1 inf

That’s it… the conflict begins!

• @playing-kid

I like this, but is there a way to adapt this to the newer editions? Thank you!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m