Rules - Sub blocking a transport-only amphibious assault

• Hey,

I know I have seen this somewhere in a rulebook or in an errata (maybe in G40?), but IIRC a transport alone cannot amphibious assault from a seazone containing enemy subs because the subs can destroy it before offloading its troops. Am I right? Is this true for AA42?

For example, on G1, I destroy the SZ2 UK fleet and move a sub to the SZ next to France (SZ7 I think), does this move prevent the SZ1 UK Trn from unloading troops in WEu?

Thanks

• '18 '17 '16

“An enemy submarine and/or transport does not block any of your units’ movement, nor does it prevent loading or offloading in that seazone.” (AA42.1, Rulebook, p.11)

“An enemy submarine and/or transport does not block any of your units’ movement, nor does it prevent loading or offloading in that seazone with one exception: a transport is not allowed to offload land units for an amphibious assault in a seazone containing on eor more ignored enemy submarines unless at least one warship belonging to the attacking power is also present in the seazone at the end of the combat move phase.” (AA42.2, Rulebook, p.11 and 13)

In my interpretation of the rules, the answer to your question would be: in AA42.1 you don’t prevent the offloading, in AA42.2 you do.

• Thanks. Krieghund, could you confirm this? I thought the rule was applied to AA42 and AA50 too.

• Official Q&A

Dedo’s right.  The rule was not retroactively applied to previous games.

• Ok! Thanks to both of you!

• So happy to finally get the clarification on this. It’s been bugging me. As usual, it’s in the rulebook somewhere, just needed to find it!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m